Lecture # 2 : No Slang, No SMS

Slang & SMS equivalents of English words! Shall we blame the social networking websites?

Before we begin, let us understand the company you are in. At the time of writing this article, our ever growing CEan team consists of Professionals & Students from all parts of the world. Some of us are as young as 17 & as old as 62! Isn't that amazing?

At CrazyEngineers, we decided to use plain English while making posts. We strictly avoid slang & SMS equivalents of words. That is -

CEans would never write as below -

"hi!!!!!......i hav found smthg really gr88!! ..... the 6 stroke eng. is rokin"
Please take some time to write complete words. Avoid the nasty long trail of dots in between the words. It does no good.

-The Big K-

Replies

• djnachi
    djnachi
    Affirmation !!!

The_Big_K
    Slang & SMS equivalents of English words! Shall we blame the social networking websites?

Before we begin, let us understand whos company are you in. At the time of writing this article, our ever growing CEan team consists of Professionals & Students from all parts of the world. Some of us are as young as 17 & as old as 62! Isn't that amazing?

At CrazyEngineers, we decided to use plain English while making posts. We strictly avoid slang & SMS equivalents of words. That is -

CEans would never write as below -

Please take some time to write complete words. Avoid the nasty long trail of dots in between the words. It does no good.

-The Big K-

Hello there,๐Ÿ˜

Big K' a very good evening to you first of all. i have just registered a day before so dont know much about CE and so thought of goin through basic lecture threads posted by you.

To be frank, am a 2nd year Computer Science & Engineering student not doin so good in acads., so i would like to know if me being a member of CE is right??

Me quoting to this thread is mainly because of 2 reasons,
    1st. The title sayin "NO SLANG NO SMS" haha.. am an all time slanger so....;-)
    2nd. As you mentioned in it, that you have members between age group of 17 to 62yrs which i think clearifies my above querry about me being a member of CE, but still i would like to know your side of opinion!! ๐Ÿ˜’

Regards,
    Nachikaait
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    To be frank, am a 2nd year Computer Science & Engineering student not doin so good in acads., so i would like to know if me being a member of CE is right??
    Every registered member of CrazyEngineers (CE) is a CEan. If you aren't doing good in exams, we all are here to help you. Don't worry. We don't even expect our members to have a 'degree' per say. Engineering is all about attitude; that's what we believe.

Welcome to CE. We'd love to know more about you in - Introductions Section here - #-Link-Snipped-#

Me quoting to this thread is mainly because of 2 reasons,
    1st. The title sayin "NO SLANG NO SMS" haha.. am an all time slanger so....:wink:
    2nd. As you mentioned in it, that you have members between age group of 17 to 62yrs which i think clearifies my above querry about me being a member of CE, but still i would like to know your side of opinion!! ๐Ÿ˜’
    The 'No Slang No SMS' philosophy ( ๐Ÿ˜ ) has been around ever since CE came to life. That's a simple expectation from all CEans based on Common Sense. We are read by Engineers from all over the world. It makes perfect sense to take out some time to format our posts (that's a good habit, believe me) & write complete words. Slag, I personally believe, is about showing disrespect to the language ( debate? ๐Ÿ˜’ ).

The age range only indicates that we have junior & senior engineers on CE. It is not a criteria for becoming a CEan

Lecture 1-4 have been written to ensure that we all follow a protocol which makes sense & is good.

-The Big K-
    P.S:
    Its *Our* (you are included) community.
  • teensdesire
    teensdesire
    suggest some good social networking sites
  • aniket_jain985
    aniket_jain985
    hello,BIG K there,well its good to use simple English.
    No slang no sms.
    i like it.
  • morecrazythanu
    morecrazythanu
    THANK YOU!!!
    I hate this net-speak thing... why can't people spell words correctly?
  • awasthi.piyush
    awasthi.piyush
    It's very good that we have to follow professional attitude while posting any reply
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, you are right. We all must keep in mind that our posts are read by people from all over the world, of all ages, from various professions etc. So let's keep the posting business 'professional' ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    morecrazythanu
    THANK YOU!!!
    I hate this net-speak thing... why can't people spell words correctly?
    I share your sentiments ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I agree Ash. Sometimes this sms language can become very irritating.
  • Alien
    Alien
    Alright , I dint know this previously. Now that I have been informed, I'll keep the things right!
  • rafe
    rafe
    I like to be here because its really irritating with code words used in other blogs.Its only because i cant understand such things.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    true ...this short message service is creating a mess leading young careerists to forget their proper English language usage
  • gky007
    gky007
    good, i like it.
  • Priyalak
    Priyalak
    Using the messenger for a long time had made me use sms language alot. I will try my level best not to use it in here.
  • AnkitaDeshpande
    AnkitaDeshpande
    Hello Big K,

Actually it is very difficult to do this but i will surely abide by the rules.
    I take a oath here that I will never use slang or sms language but if I do it by mistake please do forgive me.

but i will not do this mistake.๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AnkitaDeshpande
    Hello Big K,

Actually it is very difficult to do this but i will surely abide by the rules.
    I take a oath here that I will never use slang or sms language but if I do it by mistake please do forgive me.

but i will not do this mistake.๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Ankita - its all about good habits, you know ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

We are read by engineers from all over the world - including working professionals, professors, researchers, CEOs, entrepreneurs etc. Not everyone appreciates the SMS text.

You'll get used to it, don't worry [โ€‹IMG]
  • Mrunalini
    Mrunalini
    Big K is very nice.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • AnkitaDeshpande
    AnkitaDeshpande
    Thank you,

You know completing the 4 lectures I feel like listening to you and our rules.
    Drastic change this is.
  • anki_0305
    anki_0305
    oh! i rarely use short words.
  • asb.smitha
    asb.smitha
    Hello Big-K

Thank you for making these rules, this will surely help me to overcome my bad habits.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜€

Let's not call them rules. That's just a protocol. We just want to keep the forum professional, useful & yet, fun! So that all the experienced engineers and the junior ones can benefit ๐Ÿ˜€
  • MOHD.SHABEEH
    MOHD.SHABEEH
    wE SHOULD BE TOTALLY PROFESSIONLIST.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Will follow your rules, sir.
  • steveljohn8
    steveljohn8
    yes we do use slang in sms which is very bad impression on english specially on the English people.But slang is the back bone of the sms because without it #-Link-Snipped-# will not call the sms.
  • Vikram kumar
    Vikram kumar
    Very well said.
  • adlin
    adlin
    Re: Affirmation !!!

ma and my friend started following this from last november.. we both are happy to know that it is followed as a rule by CEans
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    The_Big_K
    Let's not call them rules. That's just a protocol. We just want to keep the forum professional, useful & yet, fun! So that all the experienced engineers and the junior ones can benefit ๐Ÿ˜€
    I like this attitude.๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello New CEans! CrazyEngineers is read everyday by Engineers from all over the world. Engineers from various trades, countries & cultures log into CrazyEngineers to share ideas & participate in...
I'm sure the question must have popped up in your mind. Let me answer it here- CrazyEngineers is still a young community. While restructuring the CE forums, the initial plan...
Welcome To CE Labs ๐Ÿ˜€ ! CrazyEngineers labs is a place for CE - Projects & cross trade discussions. Crazy Brains from various trades will gather here to innovate, generate/share...
Welcome to CE Higher Education! CE Higher Education aspires to be a one stop solution for Engineers looking forward to post-graduate opportunities. Right now, because of lack of enough discussions...
Welcome to CE IT Help! CE IT help will take care of all the problems related to computers. CEans from all over the world are at your help! Stop worrying...