To MBA or not to MBA - that is the question

Over the time, we've been getting lots of queries like -

1. Help me: Do you think MBA is worth doing?

2. Help me decide if I should go for MBA

3. What are the job prospects for MBAs

4. Help me choose an elective ...

5. et cetra

The first question one must answer him/her self is -

"Why do I want to do MBA?"

So, if you want to do MBA, not sure if you should do MBA - answer this question in this post -

"Why do I want to do MBA?"

Be honest. Your answers will help others (who have already been there, done that) to help you made the right decision.

Replies

• mohammedshakeel
    mohammedshakeel
    what is ur UG degree!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mohammedshakeel
    what is ur UG degree!
    Let's stick to the topic of discussion.
  • arti mishra
    arti mishra
    i want to do MBA to get a good package.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    bad answer!! FYI, you can get better packages in the technical field. A classic example was of me and my classmate. My first job (campus placement) was in a Pune based firm making software for telecoms, one of my classmates from engineering was also there. Out of curiosity, he asked me ... what my package was ... it turns out he was earning as much!! Go Figure!!

Now after 2 years as a Systems MBA guy, a lot of my engineering friends are earning way above me. So, the growth phase is also not there, all these are misconceptions .. stick to tech if you want to earn. Just love what you do and be good at that.
  • arti mishra
    arti mishra
    ok thats a good reply
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for the insight, Kidakaka.

Arti - FYI - Kidakaka did his MBA from one of the best B - Schools in India - IIM Indore. It will help if every MBA aspirant pays attention to his advice.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    kidakaka
    bad answer!! FYI, you can get better packages in the technical field. A classic example was of me and my classmate. My first job (campus placement) was in a Pune based firm making software for telecoms, one of my classmates from engineering was also there. Out of curiosity, he asked me ... what my package was ... it turns out he was earning as much!! Go Figure!!

Now after 2 years as a Systems MBA guy, a lot of my engineering friends are earning way above me. So, the growth phase is also not there, all these are misconceptions .. stick to tech if you want to earn. Just love what you do and be good at that.

Buddy ... May be your friend is earning similar to you or more then you. MBA is not about comparing the money you are getting, it provides you launching pad to fly high. I can assure you if you will compare the salary of you and your friend after 10 years, there will be a huge difference.

I am not against techi job, it definately helps. Though as per me a mix n match of techi and MBA will show you roadmap of success for sure.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

-Crazy
  • arti_mishra
    arti_mishra
    ok thanks everybody.
  • mahul
    mahul
    I believe that if you are really interested in tech, there is little reason why you need to switch to management. And like kidakaka says, if you are really good at something, you can always find someone to pay you handsomely for it. I joined a MBA classroom coaching programme but gave it up when I had this realization.
  • technospartan
    technospartan
    cean mahul would you tell me how would you convince a venture capitalist for having him grant you money for your new project? you would definately need some (atleast some!!!!) technical knowledge for that.and the second aspect comes in the picture of market (after all you are meant to sell your technology!!!!!!!!!!) for that i guess you are supposed to have the managerial eye.mba can help you have that managerial eye.so from my side go for MBA.if you want to play as the big boss.or else as biggie said about Sir Richard Bransons quote "do what you love and money will follow"
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    crazyboy, I wouldnt say that's necessarily true, take any good techie ... let him mature for 2-3 years in his field, eventually he would be at the same level had he done an mba for 2 years. the fly high thing you are saying is because, technology naturally follows business ... it cannot be the otherway round .. technology needs money to sustain ... and money comes from business. So after 4-5 years, the same techie who earlier used to write a java class will now be taking decisions on which architecture to use or how best to customize the application framework for the client ... then he has a choice .. 1. be in technical field 2. do client liaison/interfacing and move towards business.

Even a CTO has to do basic budgeting, accounting and due diligence for each purchase that he makes. Thats business, and not tech ๐Ÿ˜€

Eventually, an engineer will move from understanding code to understanding technology to understanding process and finally understanding business. So, the mix and match is always there ... it has to be there.

btw arti, the answer to "Why MBA" lies somewhere in this thread ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    kidakaka
    crazyboy, I wouldnt say that's necessarily true, take any good techie ... let him mature for 2-3 years in his field, eventually he would be at the same level had he done an mba for 2 years. the fly high thing you are saying is because, technology naturally follows business ... it cannot be the otherway round .. technology needs money to sustain ... and money comes from business. So after 4-5 years, the same techie who earlier used to write a java class will now be taking decisions on which architecture to use or how best to customize the application framework for the client ... then he has a choice .. 1. be in technical field 2. do client liaison/interfacing and move towards business.

Even a CTO has to do basic budgeting, accounting and due diligence for each purchase that he makes. Thats business, and not tech ๐Ÿ˜€

Eventually, an engineer will move from understanding code to understanding technology to understanding process and finally understanding business. So, the mix and match is always there ... it has to be there.

btw arti, the answer to "Why MBA" lies somewhere in this thread ๐Ÿ˜€
    Agreed....
  • arti_mishra
    arti_mishra
    ok its accepted that after few years i would get more money but what to do till that time when we find our friends earning more money then us.the only answer i find is PATIENCE.But what if we dint have Patitence
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    If you ask me, I did MBA simply because people advised and convinced me to do it. Frankly speaking, studying management has not added any value to my knowledge, except making me a more refined person. It also gave me an opportunity to work with and for the top management of the companies. I could present myself better to the world after doing MBA in Marketing.

Taking Kidakaka's point further, technology guys 'create' products, softwares, goods etc. You have business guys who take it to the market/customer. You need guys who can tell you how much you have spent... directly and indirectly on the making of that product. Most of the technology innovations today are driven by the business needs and competitive challenges. Studying MBA might make you better equipped to understand those.

Money will eventually come. If earning big bucks is the sole purpose of your life then there are many other methods to do that. Biggie will agree to this, ask Warren Buffet, Donald Trump, Bill Gates, Larry Page, Laxmi Mittal, Mahesh Murthy about importance of basic management education. The answers will baffle you. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow! We've good discussion here.

Good to see different perspectives. My take on this is simple - don't do stuff for the heck of earning money. Just love what you love - and then find out ways to earn money through it.

Kidakaka & Mayur have a very right point. MBA does help - but it helps only when you KNOW (all caps!) what you're doing. If you are thinking about doing MBA so that you can earn more than your friends - you're preparing yourself for a big doom in your life. Its as simple as that.

See, I've seen this - especially among IT folks : They just love to think that they aren't earning enough money. Look around you - you're earning way more than you should actually be earning! Its a fact!

In a B-School - you will get to interact with the best & the brightest minds from diverse backgrounds. You'll develop contacts! Do you think its going to help you in any way - if you say 'yes' - go for it. If you are not sure - think .

As Mayur said - basic management education does help. At the same time, its not absolutely necessary.

My sincere request to all MBA aspirants - know where you want to go. MBA is just a path that 'might' take you where you want to go.
  • koli
    koli
    I see nice debate here. I want to ask few questions

-> When is the right time to do MBA ? Right after your graduation or after gaining experience by working for few years ?
    -> Do choice of B-schools / Universities matter ?
    -> What specialization in MBA gives more career edge ?
    -> Is MBA enough for you to be decision maker for organization or your own business ?

My general statement on "should you do MBA or not ?" - I would say you should. But dont expet that it will help you in first 2-6 years. It will definitely help you in your career when it is at peak. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • koli
    koli
    My view :
    - My vote is for MBA after few years of work experience. Because if you do MBA right after your bachelors / graduation - you are still in the school/collage mindset and havent tested the work culture, etc. Most successful folks I know who are VP/ Director level - more than 75% have done there MBA during their employment.
    - Choice of B-schools / universities is very very important. This may not be technically important. But since the perception of employers as well as the competitiveness matters the most.
    - I think the Finance is most attractive from career edge perspective. I would treat MBA-IT on the lowest scale (my view).
    - Real life experience, technical hands on experience, is definitely required. I have worked with many out of school MBAs. It is real challenge for them during their first jobs.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Knowing what you actually aspire for is the foundation step in deciding your career and steps in favor of it. As far as MBA is concerned, its a great option for those who look forward to managerial posts and environments for their efficient working.
    But even if you're a techie one, MBA will provide you an edge to everything you've learnt in your graduation. But in my opinion, MBA after some years of work experience is lot more fruitful and wise decision. It helps!!
  • ankurhasit
    ankurhasit
    well,good discussion going on here......

i am final year of my b-tech and i have joined mba coaching on advice of my parents and know 2....

but i am have die hard interest in technical field....i want to design cars
    bikes ....automobiles,,,WORLD CLASS ENGINES.....ETC....

but my parents say and other who advise them that.....once i do mba.....then i can be in techincal field....in d higher post........

but i don't think then i will get a technical profile in d company coz i do not have any work ex............

i am very much confused....wat 2 do..........?

rite now to me(acc to my interest)...ms from a foreign university is looking 2 be d best option....

plz guide me...............
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ ankurhasit: Did you read the discussion above? If not, read it. What do you think after reading the discussion?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    @ankurhasit:

Some guidance from me.
    1. String of dots and SMS text is not a sign of good engineer or a manager. So avoid it. Speak and write clear and good quality English
    2. It is a myth that MBA degree might give you a higher technical designation. MBA curriculum is meant only for management education, be it business or technology management.
    3. Going higher up in the technology field depends on your technical knowledge and talent, not the degree you hold.

My advise to you- go for the field where your interest lies, not where people tell you to go. "Where there is will, there is a way"
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    This following your heart thing does not apply in all countries, in some scenarios/countries you might be forced into a career that's not in your heart. I might do an MBA and keep the technical aspect as a hobby. in any case you might need knowledge from both fields, or if its possible do both.

A while back i asked for advice on getting scholarships. i never got to read my replies since i spent about a month plus with no internet access(i was working in remote areas for a telecom company plus internet access is not conveniently accessible in my country). wonder if CE has like an archive or something or maybe CEans can repost their advice
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Munguti

You've a valid point. I never advice anyone to 'follow his/her heart' - because its a hugely misunderstood. What I ask is - to know why one needs MBA. Because once that question is answered, all other questions get answered automatically.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not get replies to your queries. Could you please post your query again? We'll try to answer it.
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    I was looking for advice on how to get a scholarship for an Msc in telecoms. I am still an undergrad n i will finish in 2010. My grades are gd.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankur - before we begin - please do not use SMS text while posting on CE Forums.

Now, regarding your query, I believe you are very clear that you want a technical role and that's where your interest is. However, your parents think you could still do the same after getting MBA degree and joining at a higher post.

First of all, doing MBA alone won't put you in higher position. Higher position, is a function of work experience. Whether you do technical work or management work - depends on what role your choose for yourself.

I believe it would help if you begin your career with hardcore technical job. You'll have fun & love you job. Whether you want to go for a degree in management can be decided later, say after 2-3 years.

MS from a good university is a good option. Go for it if you think it will help you in doing what you want to do.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends, Actually i was watching some news channel some days back and was listening about those tragic serial bomb blasts in ahemdabad..I heard that some investigations revealed that the...

Hai

Hello all Am Venkat, a mechanical engineer, working as a machine design engineer for the past 8 years. my locality is chennai.
By clicking on "New Posts" one can get recent threads and posts updated. But, I don't know what "Recent" are they ! I mean updated since I saw them last...
I'm sure you must have told your friends about CE. While chatting with new CEans in our CE Conference, I came to know that many of them joined CE because...
Common guys, its got some gears. Its got some angles, its got some microchips too. There is a very complex engineering involved in the making of your wrist watches (or...