Your questions to Dr. Mike Foley - Executive Director, Bluetooth SIG

Announcement: #-Link-Snipped-#

Important Links you should go through before you ask your questions -

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

--------------------------------------------
The deadline is May 29, 2009. No 'off topic' posts in this thread, please.

Let your questions flood in...

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    ok. My questions are manily related to competitive technologies, as they hover my mind whenever I watch or read soemthing

We are aware that along with Bluetooth we have other wireless techonlogies such as ZIGBEE.

1.How is bluetooth planning to compete with these technologies which are much less expensive than Bluetooth like ZIGBEE?

2.Currenlty there is a disparity infact, acomplete range of varied functionalities between Bluetooth and ZIGBEE , bluetooth is mainly for connectivity between computer or a mobile phone to bluetooth slave devices, where as ZIGBee gives a connectivty option between a very varied and different range of applciances starting from Home appplicances. Was there any specific reason to maitain this disparity?

3.I was going through Mike blog and he mentioned the new Bluetooth version 3.0
    It has this enhancement of transmitting more data for lesser power per bit. How was this achieved?

I will try to read more and come up with more questions incase time doesnot run out :rollingeyes:

P.S: those interested in ZIGBEE URL ->#-Link-Snipped-#
    BLUETOOTH ->#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Great going πŸ˜€ Waiting for more questions! 😁

It would be great if we could come up with 3-4 technical questions.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dr. Foley's short biography, taken from the site -

Dr. Michael (Mike) Foley is the Executive Director of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG). Dr. Foley joined the SIG in March 2004 as the Executive Director. He is responsible for guiding the qualification and interoperability programs, promotion of the technology, the specification publications, and the long-term roadmap of Bluetooth wireless technology.

Dr. Foley previously worked with Bluetooth wireless technology and other wireless technologies as a senior wireless architect with Microsoft. While there, he played a pivotal role in the creation and development of the wireless desktop vision and 802.11. Dr. Foley also helped shape the Bluetooth standard from its inception, as a SIG Board Member, and later Chairman of the Board from 2002 to 2003.

Under Dr. Foley’s direction, Bluetooth technology has experienced phenomenal growth and consumer acceptance. Since his arrival at the helm of the Bluetooth SIG, he has pushed through an ambitious roadmap, demanding substantial improvements in interoperability and security. Dr. Foley also facilitated and guided the Bluetooth SIG partnership with the WiMedia alliance, solidifying a place for Bluetooth wireless technology in the wireless PAN of the future. In 2007, Dr. Foley was awarded the Telematics Leadership Award for achievements and innovation in the telematics market with Bluetooth wireless technology.

Foley holds a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University, a Masters degree from Arizona State University and a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Iowa.
  • anusha.p.s
    anusha.p.s
    sir, i am very much interested in bluetooth technologies and so i have been working on it and i have come across many security loopholes. The encryption strategy uses the routine safer k-64 algorithm which was proved to be the toughest strategy that coudn't be broken once up on a time. But today, the PHT layer embedded in safer algorithm which was thought to be irrereversible is now made reversible. so i think the basic algorithm needs some change to make it much more resistant to security threats by hackers who make use of hacking by back tracking method.
    Actually i propose a small change but i am looking for the possibility and compatibilty for it being implemented.........
  • CEMember
    CEMember
    What is the thing that makes bluetooth as short-range communication system? Is it possible to increase its range , if so what can be done for this?

PS: If any of CEans know the answer of my stupid and basic question, feel free to answer.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Q. One of the potential problem with Bluetooth is the interference with other devices such as baby monitors, cordless phones, microwave oven and a few other wireless devices which may use the same frequency. Whats the solution you can suggest for this type of problem?

Q. Bluetooth uses the microwave radio frequency spectrum in the 2.4 GHz to 2.4835 GHz range. Maximum power output from a Bluetooth radio is 100 mW, 2.5 mW, and 1 mW for Class 1 (ignoring class 2 and class 3) which puts Class 1 at roughly the same level as mobile phones. So isn't this a big concern for health?

Q. Bluetooth provides short-range connectivity between peripherals and devices; however technology like Wi-Fi can be used for short-range connectivity as well as Internet connectivity. So is Bluetooth is also going to introduce Internet connectivity feature to sustain the challenges?

-CB
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    CEMember
    PS: If any of CEans know the answer of my stupid and basic question, feel free to answer.
    This is actually a very relevant question.

Here are my questions,

1) What was the reason behind naming the technology as Bluetooth? (Although I know it has come from the name of a Danish King)

2) Bluetooth enables people to form a wireless personal area network. It enables running of small applications on a wireless connection. Is it possible to extend the technology, may be by increasing the energy level emissions, to use the technology to transmit high levels and volumes of data?

3) Can you throw some more light on Wibree and UWB?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Pardon my ignorance ..

I have a question , As far as my knowledge is concerned with bluetooth in mobile we can only send data to other device , Can we have a provision to send to multiple devices at the same time.

PS. I have used a mobile with blue tooth long back, it had a facility to send media to only one mobile with bluetooth once ,later the other mobile so this question raised πŸ˜€

If some have answer please share !!
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    My Question is Can we use Bluetooth to Transfer stream of voice...

This is in regards to my thought that can two mobiles with bluetooth talk with each other over short distance. (Just like Intercom telecommunication.)
    I really want to make call over bluetooth to my friend who is just living 1 floor down to me.

P.S -- > Might be a stupid question, but i am curious to know, if it is possible,

Manu
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @manusaluja - we already have bluetooth stereo headsets. So bluetooth can be used to transfer stream of voice.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    English-Scared
    Pardon my ignorance ..

I have a question , As far as my knowledge is concerned with bluetooth in mobile we can only send data to other device , Can we have a provision to send to multiple devices at the same time.
    !
    I ain't answering your question, but as far as Bluetooth mesh is concerned we can have upto 8 slaves for same master. So you should be able to send if you detect.
    This is what i think.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    What is the data transfer speed of Bluetooth and can we increase it..on which parameter it depends?

If anyone knows the answer than that's great
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, let's not ask the questions for which the answers are available on the Internet.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    durga
    I ain't answering your question, but as far as Bluetooth mesh is concerned we can have upto 8 slaves for same master. So you should be able to send if you detect.
    This is what i think.
    But by using mobile we can only send to one at a time πŸ˜€.
    anyways we will research on net and discuss in other threads ..
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    The_Big_K
    @manusaluja - we already have bluetooth stereo headsets. So bluetooth can be used to transfer stream of voice.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.
    Right, its there, but can we transfer our voice from our mobile to other person's mobile so that he can listen to me.

I mean to say using bluetooth to talk on two mobile phones over a limited distance which bluetooth technology allows(10-15m).
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    CEMember
    What is the thing that makes bluetooth as short-range communication system? Is it possible to increase its range , if so what can be done for this?

Hey CEMember,
    As far as I know, infra-red rays kind of thing is used for communication using bluetooth so this could be the reason it is short range as you can see why TVs in our home have remote controls but it can be operated only from a certain limit of distance from TV. Now thing is how they can be made to increase their limit or range. For this may be some other CEans can answer.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    manusaluja
    My Question is Can we use Bluetooth to Transfer stream of voice...

This is in regards to my thought that can two mobiles with bluetooth talk with each other over short distance. (Just like Intercom telecommunication.)
    I really want to make call over bluetooth to my friend who is just living 1 floor down to me.

P.S -- > Might be a stupid question, but i am curious to know, if it is possible,

Manu
    Smelling Bluetooth headset?

EDIT:
    manusaluja
    Right, its there, but can we transfer our voice from our mobile to other person's mobile so that he can listen to me.

I mean to say using bluetooth to talk on two mobile phones over a limited distance which bluetooth technology allows(10-15m).
    The same technique manu, different receivers.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    manusaluja's question can be used. Push to talk over bluetooth (as opposed to GPRS) is still not standardized yet in mobiles, but the idea has been proposed recently. There are challenges for it.. so we might ask Dr Foley.

In terms of range, think of bluetooth devices as radio devices. The range of them depends on both transmission power and directivity. Since bluetooth devices are omni directional, they require power to transmit in all directions equally. Thus range is limited. One can increase power to increase range.. the limits are:
    1. Regulation limit of transmission power for any device using 2.4 GHz band
    2. Battery life of device
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm..
    I smell Walkir talkies but modernised ones with no cable 😁
    short distance transfer of voice packets through bluetooth.

This question rocks!! 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Q.The future of ambient intelligence, or AmI, would come sooner rather than later due to the exponential progress of technology. How much of a role would Bluetooth play when in comes to AmI PAN applications? In addition, does the Bluetooth SIG plan to collaborate with AmI research groups such as MIT and Philips?

Q.Users of mobile phones equipped with bluetooth usually deactivate the feature unless they need to transfer something, to avoid security threats and to save power. With the proliferation of more bluetooth mobile accessories in the market, it would seem that users would have to keep bluetooth almost constantly on. How would you address these two issues? Would the burden of responsibility lie with mobile phone manufacturers, or the Bluetooth SIG, or both?

Q.With a myriad of staff and volunteers within Bluetooth SIG, what is a typical day like for you at the headquarters?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ ash,
    nice questions ash, just that I aren't too familar with AmI πŸ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thanks.Though, if it werent my seminar topic, I too wouldnt be familiar with it! πŸ˜€
  • smita89
    smita89
    The biggest security concern regarding bluetooth WPAN is bluesnarfing. Although, the transfer of information is dependent on pairing of two devices, if the devices do remain perpetually on (as ash asked) how would bluetooth V3.0 provide protection against bluesnarfing?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll close this thread after about 4.5 hours from now. Anyone wants to add questions, please do so immediately.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I can't remind specific questions, but want to say to Dr. Mike that Everything is better with Bluetooth..thanks to him & every single person contribute to the great technology.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for the questions, folks πŸ˜€ Closing the thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, We are extremely happy to present you with the opportunity of lifetime! Dr. Mike Foley, Executive Director of Bluetooth Special Interest Group has agreed to answer our questions for...
I'm looking for some assistance with tensioning of guy wires on communication towers. Specifically in regard to adjusting for temperature. As some may know, initial tensions are usually set at...
Hey, I'm looking into doing a project over the summer that uses an RFID module to turn the overhead lights in my room on and off. I have been thinking...
It takes shingles off roofs. The teeth are subject to punishment and abrasion. The shaft is air-hammered upon and used as a pry bar. What would you like to see...
​ That's right folks, the Zune HD is real, and it's coming this Fall. Microsoft officially announced the next iteration in their Zune line today, making it less of a...