How to create, run & manage your own website - Part II

CEans,

In part I of article "How to create, run & manage" website, we discussed the basics of getting started. In part II, we'll have a look at how to setup your website. I recommend that you go through the part I link - #-Link-Snipped-#

At this point, we are aware that there are two most important requirements for having your own website -

1. Your own domain.
2. Your own web-space, provided by the web host.

Now, let me talk a bit about how to go about deciding how much web space you want and which hosting account is best for you.

1. Shared Hosting Account:

This hosting account normally provides you with enough space/bandwidth/database to run your small website. By 'small website' I refer to personal blogs, product & service information websites etc. Typical small website would need not more than 500 MB of web-space and attract about 500-1500 visitors every day. Most importantly, the small website would not need more than 4-5 databases.

So, if you are starting a simple website with limited functionality - go for shared hosting account.

{Note: If you are techie, do not forget to look for SSH access to your account. It helps a hell lot! Also look for latest version of mySQL, PHP, Zend, ionCube (you may not require them) and other software.}

2. Virtual Private Server (VPS) Account:

Yes, as the name suggests its your 'virtual' private server. That is, a single (physical) server (machine) will have more than one accounts on it while simulating the 'dedicated server'. Don't worry if you do not understand even a bit of it at this point.

Typically, if you are looking to start a website that will have huge collection of photographs or a small social networking site (2-3 thousand visitors per day) or a database intensive website - you will need a VPS account. It's always recommended to discuss your requirements with your web host before you select VPS account.

3. Dedicated Server:

This is a server that is dedicated to you πŸ˜€ . That is you own the whole machine at client's (web host) site. You are the king who decides what software to install on your machine, when to boot the machine and everything πŸ˜€. Since this article is for CEans who are totally new to running a website, we will not focus on dedicated servers.

Bandwidth:

One of the most important considerations and your web host may trick you here. In simple terms, bandwidth is about how much data moves in and out of your website. It depends on traffic and the nature of your website. Web hosts charge heavily (in most of the cases) if you exceed your bandwidth limits.

I repeat: Always discuss your requirements with your potential web host. Also see how quickly they respond to your queries and how good they are in their response. Trust me, this is going to save you lot of time in future. Plus I bet you don't want to go through the hassels of changing the web host.

With your domain name, web hosting account in place, you are ready to make your hardware work - that is actually setting up your website. Let's delve into it.

Installing required software through your web hosting account:

In order to make your website work, you will have to 1) Install software 2) Code everything on your own. For the newbies option 1 is recommended.

There is lot of freeware available on the internet which is very secure and gets the things done. It would be impossible to discuss the software and its functionality in this article. Come on, I told you - be prepared to learn a lot on your own. Be willing to read!

Most modern web hosts provide you with a Control Panel [called cPanel]. Once you login as administrator to your web hosting account, you will be presented with the cPanel. Most of the times you will also have an automated script installer called 'Fantastico'. If you are newbie or do not have root (SSH) access to your account; go with the script installers.

[Script Installers Explained: A program that helps you install other programs (software) with just few clicks.]

Assuming that you are creating a simple content website, I recommend that you use 'Wordpress' a blogging engine (software) that does a great job of CMS (Content Management System).

A CMS or Blog Engine will give you a very easy to use interface to add, edit content, change the look & feel of your website, install additional functionality (through plugins) etc.

Be happy - all the software you need is available freely.

Take a moment to learn about the databases:

You can't escape them. If you are setting up your website through Script Installers; you don't have to worry about databases - because everything will be automatically done for you. You just have to click few buttons here and there - and you are done.

However, do learn about databases. Basic information will do. There's an amazing tool to manage your databases called phpMyAdmin. It's a sophisticated database administration tool - freely available.

To wrap up -

You need -

1. A domain name.
2. Web - space.
3. Bandwidth.
4. Databases
5. Software to make your website run [CMS, Blogging Engine, Photo Gallery etc.]

In next article, I'll talk about how to manage your website, track performance, SEO, general tips and tricks.

Be willing to learn, be willing to read, be willing to dedicate time. You'll realize - its fun!

Replies

• fake_lover01
    fake_lover01
    good information boss
  • zia.sepsis
    zia.sepsis
    nice work biggeeee
  • ashuashi
    ashuashi
    Good piece of info.

thanks
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome folks πŸ˜€

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them in this thread.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Good information indeed. I would however suggest Drupal CMS in case if you are building a website that has large content exchange.
  • Bevan
    Bevan
    Very good article!

Have you ever heard about hpage in order to craete a website?

• safwan
    safwan
    its better to have blog biggie for (students ) instead of all this work as their is still time to study !! but i like your both article going to read third now.
  • Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    Thank u!
    Neat and clear, good,awesome post..
    My question is which type of Server you use for this forum.
    Either dedicated or VPS.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    queeny.heads
    Thank u!
    Neat and clear, good,awesome post..
    My question is which type of Server you use for this forum.
    Either dedicated or VPS.
    We're on the cloud; so basically it's a virtual server.
  • Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    T
    The_Big_K
    We're on the cloud; so basically it's a virtual server.
    You still on liquidweb or on other web host.
    Please tell me which is the best host.
    Im planning to make an review forum.
    Which is the good hosting company in India.(I don't have credit card, so!)
  • Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    Can i start forum using Wordpress forum plugins..Like bbpress.
    Is it reliable to use.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't have any experience with Indian Web Hosting companies. But I've always had service related issues from Indian companies I've dealt with so I just stuck with the LiquidWeb folks. They're awesome and I'd recommend them to anyone who's serious about their web-venture. There are other good companies too, but I don't have experience with them.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    queeny.heads
    Can i start forum using Wordpress forum plugins..Like bbpress.
    Is it reliable to use.
    You 'can'. BBPress is maintained by the creators of Wordpress (Automattic) so, it should be reliable. But first figure out whether it suits your needs; keeping your growth plan in mind.
  • Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    I know that phpbb or simple machines is good forum software(fantastisco)
    How is your view about these?
    Please provide some links on these.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure what links you're looking for. phpBB is open source software that's powered large communities on the Internet. SMF is good too; but I have never used it. If you're not tight on budget and willing to invest in a robust software, you should go for commercial software available in the market.

But open source software like phpbb or bbpress should do the job as well. It entirely depends on what you're trying to build.
  • Bashiruddin Naik
    Bashiruddin Naik
    The_Big_K
    Not sure what links you're looking for. phpBB is open source software that's powered large communities on the Internet. SMF is good too; but I have never used it. If you're not tight on budget and willing to invest in a robust software, you should go for commercial software available in the market.

But open source software like phpbb or bbpress should do the job as well. It entirely depends on what you're trying to build.
    I'm trying to build a forum on web designing and all other related sources and solutions. In which i am good at. For beginner like me, which is the best suite. What will be the expenses, apart from my hard work and time.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    queeny.heads
    I'm trying to build a forum on web designing and all other related sources and solutions. In which i am good at. For beginner like me, which is the best suite. What will be the expenses, apart from my hard work and time.
    It's difficult to tell you how much will be the expense. It depends on lot of factors. If you're not sure, just go with the open source suites. That should be good starting point.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Nice work πŸ˜€

I have used IPB, Wordpress & Blogspot (Free). Blogger is good for a newbie. It's free & easy to use. WP is awesome. Very easy to use. I love it πŸ˜€

I was on shared server and it worked for me πŸ˜€

Now, due to shortage of time & money, i could not continue my sites so now i am planing to start a new blog with blosgpot. It's free πŸ˜€ I just need a domain name. I can add adsense ads too.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd opt for tumblr if I were to start a new blog.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi , I am new to this posting method.
Hi πŸ˜” I want to create one linked list in kernel space and access in application space . this hole process done in windows platform by using visual studio. In...
AIRCOM solution deployed to standardise OSS tools across mobilkom austria group 18 February, 2009 – Mobile World Congress, Barcelona & Leatherhead, UK – AIRCOM International, the leading independent network planning...
CEans, I see lot of bio medical engineers join CE. However, we do not have any discussions related to bio medical engineering. I am curious to know what bio medical...
πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜” Please Help me out of this problem. I am unable to format my kingston 16 GB pen drive. It starts formatting ,and then it gives a message that "Windows...