Article:Civilization Frontiers

Article: At the frontiers of our civilization

Category: The problems I would like to solve as an engineer

In this article I would try to shed light on use Computers and AI and where they can be, where they have not now, used to solve our biggest problems.

We live in computer age. We rely on computers. They make our job easier in many areas of life. It is a well accepted fact. It is a wonderful invention. We all believe that .Those who do not, do not understand how they can help, what role they can play and what actually they can do. The next age would be that of AI.

We use computers in many areas. We use them in teaching & learning, entertainment, industries and automation, many research disciplines. But do we like the idea of a country’s government run by intelligent systems or the decision whether or not there should be war left to be made by intelligent systems? Do we accept them to decide? I think if we or our future generations decides them be the deciders we will solve many of the serious problems. For a small instance we don’t quarrel over the result on an online test for selection of candidates for a course in a college! Presently we use them to help us make decisions but not let make decisions themselves which are big decisions like the ones above. With further evolution in AI systems that will be possible. I think we all engineers can help in establishing gradual shift in perception of our society that these intelligent systems should not aid us only, in decision making, but make decisions themselves for our benefit.

I don’t believe in the idea that if we let them be the decision makers, they will take us over.
But they will only help us ever.The idea here is not to become slaves of our own creation.Because in reality, basically computers are not of that kind, not even future AI systems will be. Some may argue this. But this idea is basically incorrect. We control them now and will even in future. But if let them be decision makers, they will do decision for the benefit of us only. Why? Because decisions made by computers cannot be questioned. Can we imagine someday someone wakes up in the morning and blames a computer for what decision it made. That would be insanity. But we do it today for many decisions made by humans in almost every serious area of our society.Intelligent systems can be helpfull in this way.Why? Because computers and AI systems can take discrimination away, bias away, they help us in maintaining transparency and accountability, which are the two factors of responsibility. We should start realizing a fact that they can be used wherever potential decisions need to be made, like War. We can and we should think of a country’s government run by computers and intelligent systems or in any such area of our society. We should eliminate human intervention in areas wherever the future of a civilization relied on a decision. I believe that would be the peak of our civilization. Those who do not realize this fact have a very narrow view and their arguments can be debated out. AI systems will evolve and they will be intelligent enough to make decisions, even some of the serious decisions. There is no stopping them, because presently we are not.I believe as engineers we should contribute ever in to move in this direction.It can be achieved as a collective goal.We should be ready debeting out the differences among us in society in this direction in the same way as we have achieved this much advancement already in our society with the help of computers and other intelligent systems. I believe otherwise we will not grove much.I am hopeful in this direction.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The only thing computers have not done, and will never be able to do is to feel. Emotions are something computers will never be able to do. And human problems, social or political, are always based on emotions and understandings. Computers can only manipulate ones and zeroes. nothing more. SO your suggestion, in my view, is completely impractical.
  • prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    Well, what say other CEans?πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I like the article and the way in which idea has been presented. I, personally think, the computers will rule the mankind if they are made intelligent enough. Because when the computers start thinking on their own and have emotions, they'll become humans! And humans, by nature, are destructive (my personal opinion 😁 ). Power corrupts us. They already have a solid network (Internet) and therefore will have more knowledge than individual humans. There won't be any stopping for them then.

I request you to talk a bit more on the following -

We should eliminate human intervention in areas wherever the future of a civilization relied on a decision. I believe that would be the peak of our civilization.
    PS: I am guessing the article is not written for the competition (if it is, please suggest a category).
  • prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    Big, I wrote it in category the problems I would like to solve as an engineer πŸ˜€

I think we all engineers can help in establishing gradual shift in perception of our society that these intelligent systems should not aid us only, in decision making, but make decisions themselves for our benefit.
    The article should be taken to mean that i am interested in using and implementing AI systems in serious areas of our society as decision makers for us, but being within the control of us.One more thing, the article should not be misunderstood. Queries are welcome πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Prakash, may be computers can do the human exclusive things like thinking, decision making and emotions if and only if their processing systems replicate human brains. ie highly complicated and complex structure .
    And if that happens, they sure will be able to manipulate and decide . πŸ˜€
    yup, we might end up having good robots and at same time too dangereous ones as well
  • prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    Well, presently there is a lot of research in AI, this issue is in consideration. But lot of researchers believe the evolution of AI will not be as in science fiction.I am talking about in real terms, reality, as we are using computers today!!!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi prakash,

Very good thoughts πŸ˜€. I could just give a very quick reading to your article. Will read later all the articles thoroughly.

So to start with how we are going to make these AI and decision making systems. Did you mention your approach of doing this?πŸ˜• .

Even I would also like to have one such system for me πŸ˜‰.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi prakash,

Directly or indirectly these AI and decisive systems will be human controlled only somewhere. So I don't think so at any point of time they will rule us. Am i right?

One more thing, if I am not wrong, you have not answered any of the questions asked in this thread?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, don't assume all humans have the same intentions. Any system can be abused πŸ˜‰ Perhaps A.I. is only has dangerous as humans can make them.. and unfortunately, as biggie has pointed out, theres always a crave for destruction.

Who is to stop some sicko (military or otherwise) who creates an A.I. to kill humans? They will just follow orders without any emotion or rational. We already start seeing this with combat UAV's. We should be more worried those types rather than possibilities of A.I. taking control of humans.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    Well, don't assume all humans have the same intentions. Any system can be abused πŸ˜‰ .
    If these systems are made in such a way that they always give positive and non destructive decisions only? If still it can happen can you elaborate more with an example how can they be made destructive by humans?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    That may be good, to hardwire the A.I. with limited and positive choices. The issue is, how can it distinguish what is considered positive to the good of mankind? It is only given choices on what the human designer deems "correct". But does everyone in the world agree with him or her? Remember, not all humans think alike.

I suppose its not about the decisions, its more about the capability of doing destruction. As long as the tools are there to create havoc, it is impossible to make the A.I. system foolproof from chosing and doing the "wrong" choices.

At moment, I can only think of military uses that use crude forms of A.I.s to do their bidding. It may be correct from their point of view, but obviously not from those on the receiving end.

So, the issue is not about A.I.. its about the humans who design it πŸ˜‰ At the state the world is in, I fear the type of A.I that will evolve out of this generation. Perhaps when the world in is a utopian state of peace, will the A.I. that is designed reflect it.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well,well,i am shocked to read everything here,you guys are losing trust on humans,every technology invented by man is to make its work easier I agree making decisions is toughest but many a times decisions cant be based on facts & figures and everything can be revealed to everyone.AI or any technology can even function like human,
    @prakash : Buddy,can you tell me what is a human brains memory capacity?????
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    * correction : "everything cant be revealed"
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    sauravgoswami
    can you tell me what is a human brains memory capacity?????
    Google says brain capacity range from 1 to 1000 tera bytes. They have estimated it after counting no of neurons and assuming each neuron holds 1 bit. Is it true ? I don't think so human brains memory capacity is so easily measurable.πŸ˜•
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Good god!!! that's huge!:surprised:
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    durga
    Good god!!! that's huge!:surprised:
    But to be very honest I feel mine is between 1 to 10 bytes only and you know boys have a very good memory. My brother's memory is too good.πŸ˜‰
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    shalini_goel14
    But to be very honest I feel mine is between 1 to 10 bytes only and you know boys have a very good memory. My brother's memory is too good.πŸ˜‰

nope!! dont forget Shakuntala devi!!!

boys have equally bad memory!!! 😁
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    durga
    nope!! dont forget Shakuntala devi!!!

boys have equally bad memory!!! 😁
    Your perception. Well I like George Summers better than Shakuntala Devi πŸ˜‰
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well i dont think so its so small,as 1000tera bytes is possible to acheive,I think it varies were even statistic wont help....contradict!!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    sauravgoswami
    Well i dont think so its so small,as 1000tera bytes is possible to acheive,I think it varies were even statistic wont help....contradict!!!
    I guess whatever the capacity of the brain is, any physical storage medium can surpass it πŸ˜€
  • prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    Hey buddies, why is capacity of human brain required in this thread?πŸ˜•
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    @ash : How come??? well i dont even know how much our brain can store in a single min???
    @prakash : its important to replace humans with AI,and make decisions
  • prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    Well comuters are usually more fast and can store much more than we can.

Do you disagree?πŸ˜€
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    yesss, i disagree....
  • prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    Well Sourav, I really appreciate your active participation in this thread, among other CEans, but these two are the important reasons we use computers, among others!!!!πŸ˜€
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    might be,we have make many inroads too,but still computers cant recall like humans or make judgement with minimal or no data!!!!
  • megidal
    megidal
    Has anybody seen "Eagle Eye"?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    megidal
    Has anybody seen "Eagle Eye"?
    Welcome back πŸ˜‰

Your post looks to be a little random. I havent watched it yet. Is it related to this thread.. about A.I and all?

[EDIT]
    Ah, I just read the synopsis. Interesting stuff!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

PROBLEMS I WOULD SOLVE AS AN ENGINEER Wastage control and recycling – household waste I would create a garbage management system. It might sound funny, but I am serious Utilisation...
CEans, "Thinking big" is a passΓ© now. You have to think mega. And when it comes to thinking mega, no body does like Mr. Baker! Partner in charge of Structural...
recent trends πŸ˜›
CEans, We have associated with Madras Institute Of Technology, Chennai (India) as media partner for Asymptote 2009. We'll now bring you the latest action from MIT Chennai Campus! Check out...
Discuss the announcement CE associates with MIT Chennai in this thread! πŸ˜€