World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 2008 [17th May]

Whats up, CEans? Here's a description of WTIS Day:

The purpose of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide. 17 May marks the anniversary of the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention and the creation of the International Telecommunication Union
This year's theme is Connecting Persons with Disabilities: ICT Opportunities for All 😀

As we are crazy (and ethical) engineers, lets discuss some ideas on how we can design technologies that can assist the less fortunate in our society, so they can also enjoy the benefits of the digital age. How can we help the blind watch the news? How about the deaf communicating through a wireless device?

Let loose your ideas, CEans!

Replies

• frodo.rok
    frodo.rok
    For blind people the technology in the following link probably be useful...

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • frodo.rok
    frodo.rok
    In addition I would say that the idea is to generate the same kind of signals to the brain through proper linkages of nurves and brain cells so that the blind person's brain can create a image of an apple when the camera get the image of an apple.Same tech can be used for deaf and dumb people.

But to create an device or even to think how it will be one needs to know HOW THE BRAIN DEVELOPS IMAGE AND SOUND FROM THE SIGNALS IT GETS THROUGH EYES AND EARS AND ALSO THE PARTICULAR NERVES AND LINKAGES THAT IS DEDICATED TO THIS KIND OF TASK.

I think we need a crazy BIOTECHNICIAN.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello to everybody, This is G J Nithya Shankari.I just want some tips regarding presentations and projects😒😒😒. What are the basic things to be learned before starting paper presentations? what...
Hi all, I am a 2nd yr biotech engg student....I would like to do ma higher studies abroad by doing part time job...Can anyone tell me the countries in which...
hi frenz...dis is vineet.....im a 2nd yearite....and im good in AUTOCAD, CAD INVENTOR and ProE.....i want to do mini projects online related to these softwares which can get me some...
I am looking for a freelance CPLD programmer. I am located in germany. I want to have programmed an Altera MAX II device EPM1270 the following functions: 1 DMX Input-Thru,...
Registry hints which can help you but please try it at your risk. Here are some registry tricks which you can tryout : 1. Disable the Autorun Option in your...