Working in Indian IT, Infy, Wipro or TCS etc

Lately I have been reading lots of experiences working in Indian IT companies. All of these are service based & which are majority in taking up grads in campus jobs process. In my college, the companies visited were all service based & when I went to dig more about them, I was rather horrified.

My friend who is currently pursuing MS, worked in Wipro earlier. His experiences were also similar. He divides grads into two categories, those who just go with the flow & do any job given & second, those who joined Engineering [espl. CSE], with passion & do something related to programming/coding. He says working with Wipro, just like copy-paste stuff. He worked there for two years, till he got his ticket to Amrika.

One more friend, who was in Infy, with salary 30k/month, also said same. All these guys, say that Working in Indian IT, companies like Infy, Wipro, TCS, Cognizant yada yada yada, all are same. Copy - Paste Job 😑

To add more, I found two interested blog posts. And I am posting them here :

#1 :

Sometimes computer science, IT or electronic and communication engineering students get placed in two or three major Indian IT companies and they find it hard to decide which one to join. "Infosys, TCS, or Wipro?" is one of the most common questions I have faced from such students. The answer is much simpler than they think it is.
"None."
This blog post is not about how these companies feed the stomachs of lakhs of people. This blog post is not about undermining the efforts of these companies. They are probably good at keeping their customers happy. This blog is not about offending the employees of these organizations. That'll be an unintentional side-effect.
This blog post is about a choice that freshers usually have to make and the information they should have before they make the choice. This blog post is about urging the freshers who want to make a career in engineering to not make a mistake that I did because I did not have the necessary information at the right time; a mistake that I could correct two years later after I realized it. This blog post is about some very unpleasant facts about these major Indian IT companies that you wouldn't know unless you have been a part of it.
ALERT: If you are not interested in making a career in engineering, lack the confidence to do so, or you are very content with working for one of these three companies for reasons that are valid to you, this post is not for you. It won't make any sense to you. Do not proceed.
Now, let me start slaying the different myths that exist about these organizations one by one and I am not going to mince words while doing this. You have been warned.
  1. Training: People think that these organizations are good for freshers because they get a lot of training which they wouldn't get in other organizations. I must remind such people that attending training programmes is not equivalent to learning. Indeed these organizations provide a lot of training to freshers but only about 1% of the trainees actually absorb the knowledge. The 1% that do absorb the training do not stick to the organization for a long time because sooner or later they realize that they want to do some real engineering. The figure '1%' isn't merely a guess. This is my observation across various trainee-batches that have been trained in one of these organizations. Think about it. Can you learn a new programming language in just 3 days? If your answer is "no", you shouldn't join one of these organizations. If your answer is "yes", you shouldn't join one of these organizations.
  2. Engineering: One can find engineering problems in these organizations but no trace of engineering. For those of you who work in one of these organizations and are offended by this statement, please go and open your engineering textbooks again. Try to remind yourself what you studied and what you learnt. Consider what you do now.
  3. Engineers: The number of engineers in these organizations are very very few; perhaps only 1 in every 200 is an engineer. This is a guess, albeit not a wild one. This is why there is no engineering in these companies despite the presence of engineering problems. "But isn't the minimum qualification to get a job in one of these organizations bachelor's of engineering?", you might ask. It is. Yes, all of them have a degree in engineering or computers of some sort but only about 1 out of 200 is an engineer. The rest 199 do not understand why a bitcount of 1's complement of bitwise XOR of two variables would give you the number of similar bits in corresponding positions in both variables, why one can not create a POSIX compliant regular expression to match only strings with balanced parentheses, or how to find the shortest chain of connections between two friends in a social network. Note that I have used 'or' as the conjunction and not 'and'. They may be good software users or good "software-tailors" who can create software by stitching together many library functions but they aren't engineers.
  4. Culture: One of the worst cultures you can find in the whole of software industry. Very few are busy trying to learn a few things mentioned in the previous paragraph. Some employees are busy figuring out ways to impress their female colleagues using the resources provided by the organization rather than learning and solving problems in better ways. Others are busy cribbing. Here is a shocking piece of information for those who have never worked for one of these organizations. One can also manage to find mud-slinging in company forums once in a while. Professionalism is at its worst here. But they convince themselves that they are professional because they speak English fluently and know how to wear a tie. Employees feel their salaries are pathetic. I feel they are overpaid. How much should a good software user earn?
  5. Onsite: Contrary to the popular belief, the number of trips to foreign lands isn't a measure of one's technical prowess. It is mostly (but not always) a measure of how dispassionate one is about engineering and his profession, and how greedy one can be for wealth. Some of the best engineers I have met in these organizations were never eager to go onsite, never went, joined an organization where they could put their knowledge and skills to better use and then flew to a foreign land because their knowledge, skills and understanding of technology were needed there.
So, my answer to the question "Infosys, TCS, or Wipro?" is "None." That's not very helpful. Here is a more helpful one. One can consider applying for a job in an organization where he or she can get an opportunity to solve some engineering problems. One cannot learn engineering and programming merely by attending trainings. One has to learn it by doing, solving problems, observing what experienced engineers do, experimenting, screwing up a few times and reworking, talking to good engineers, etc. One can try looking for an organization where the leaders of projects are very good engineers. Start-ups are more likely to have them. Some matured ones are #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, Share and Discover Knowledge on SlideShare, etc. New start-ups come up every year. Software companies which develop famous and successful products are more likely to have them. Some good examples are Adobe: Creative, marketing and document management solutions, #-Link-Snipped-#, Google, Phoenix Technologies - Phoenix Technologies - Leading PC Innovation since 1979, RSA Cybersecurity and Digital Risk Management Solutions, etc. So, how does one figure whether a certain organization is an organization of engineers or an organization of good software users?
The clue is: Interview.
Remember the questions they ask in the interview. Think about them later. Try discussing the questions with your friends who are known for solving tough engineering problems. An interview is not only an opportunity for an organization to evaluate an applicant, it is also an opportunity for the applicant to evaluate an organization.
#2 :

I

In my engineering days, I was one of the first students who had taken up a project on web technology as my project work. Even then I was sure, I wanted to be in the web technology and work on it. I considered myself very lucky to be selected in to Infosys on campus. It was my dream company then and I was very excited to be a part of it.
Fast forward 7 years, I look back and think, probably Infosys was the worst thing that happened to me. Let me explain. Infosys asks puzzles in the entrance exams. You would think, it is required to find the best analytical brain to do the job. But as soon as you get inducted, you are put into a training program (which is claimed to be the best in the industry) to train you in specific technology. Do you need analytical brain for this? No. It is just the start, where they teach you to stop thinking and enter into world of processes and zero innovation.
I was put into the mainframe stream. I did mention I was interested in something different. However, I was told politely, you only do what you are asked to do. I am not allowed to question or choose my own stream. They did try to upsell the old technology saying, 80% of the worldΓ’€™s code is written in Cobol, etc etc. What they did not tell then was, none of the new technical breakthru or product development is happening in Cobol. The same case was repeated when I asked for a location of my choice.
In short, Mainframes was shoved down my throat. I was also asked to vomit out all the innovation and analytical mind set out. I was to follow the processes and not try anything entrepreneurial. Mistakes was not tolerated. You are trained to be a sheep and do like all the rest 30000 odd people were doing in the company.
Slowly but steadily, I continued to lose interest in coding. If doing the same repeated copy-paste stuff, for years together is what you wanted, why did you have to test for analytic mind set? I was not aware, but my desire to code, learn and build something awesome was murdered in Infosys. It was a curse in disguise.
Ironically, now Mr. Murthy claims, the quality of these people leaves much to be desired. On the contrary, the quality of the IT companies in India, leaves much to be desired.
Can I please request the premiere institutions of India to ban these so called Innovative IT companies? Else, at least please ensure, the bright brains are used in the right direction and not spoiled by these companies.
P.S.: I have used the example of Infosys, as I worked in this organization. It can be applied to all the major IT companies in India including TCS, Wipro, Cognizant, etc
Update: I had no idea, this post will get so much of eyeballs, facebook, reddit, etc. Hence, I have to put some more details in here.
1. I am not a girl, I am a guy. This is quite common, and I have got used to it now.
2. I am not a good programmer. Hell, I am even worse than a bad programmer. However, I am a webpreneur. I believe in Business Innovation and not technical innovation.
3. I did quit Infy, after 2 years. I was in another company for the next 5 years. It was same, if not worse than Infy.
4. I have quit my IT job, and decided to start all over again. Yes, no jobs, no cash, but I have hope. ( pun intended)

5. My post was not to bitch about my luck, I choose it. It was to bitch about the fact that companies like Infy, TCS, Wipro, Cognizant and others, continue to mislead innocent students and hire the best brains possible, only to ruin them. There is a world beyond coding and programming, and definitely, there is a world beyond the big companies.
I know its a rather long post to read, but I'd be grateful if you all take participate equally & pour your thoughts.

Sources :
1. More than 8 of my friends who worked earlier. I patiently spoke with them all. I think they all belonged to category #2.
2. #-Link-Snipped-# & #-Link-Snipped-#.

Thank you ! πŸ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I worked with IT services & product companies before and I know what the posts are trying to convey. The industry education connect in India is totally missing. Plus, the IT jobs are, in my humble opinion are glorified because of the 'salaries' & 'on-site' opportunities. Think about a regular middle-class Indian youth who's opted for engineering because parents thought engineering would ensure job and quick income. Indian IT did promise the job and fulfilled the dreams for most of the youth.

Those who could only dream of working in Air Conditioned offices, purchasing flats in metro cities & owning cars could now do it within just few months of IT employment. It was dream come true and IT got more glory that it should have. The IT employed youth quickly became the role models for the generation that had never seen salaries beyond Rs. 10k/month. (that's just $200 /month!). The 'on-site' employment even became a 'selection criteria' in the matrimony markets.

So the trend to join IT jobs prospered. Not only computer science engineers but Mechanical, Civil, Structural, Mining engineers would happily & easily get recruited in Indian IT with all the above mentioned benefits. No one really bothered about the kind of job they'd be doing.

Unfortunately, the Indian IT pioneers decided to go the services way; because it ensured quick buck and every dollar or pound converted to at least 30x the money (now it's 50x!) It's like getting 30-50 times more for the same work. That's why several companies that started in the 90s have quickly grown to become huge corporations now.

The type of projects that are 'outsourced' are often the non-engineering ones. A typical outsourced project comprises of coding/development/testing & maintenance - but the 'software design' is seldom outsourced. In simple terms; the building's architecture & structural engineering is done by the company and the job of laying bricks and painting (as per specifications) is often outsourced. It makes a perfect sense for any company to outsource work to India and other countries that offer cheaper rates. Just for example; a graduate engineer in India would happily work for a company for $500-$600 per month while hiring an engineer in US/UK would mean the company shells out at least $5000 - $6000 per month! Imagine the cost saving for the company by outsourcing the brick laying job!

Engineering students with a dream of working on 'cutting edge technology' often get disappointed to see the work that's being allotted to them. One of my close friend with a 'consultant' designation in his company (a big MNC) says any junior college graduate can replace him with just 2-3 months of training. He's frustrated as well; but sticking to the job because he's got plenty of EMIs due to the bank.

I do not wish to present a negative picture of the Indian IT industry to anyone. It's certainly not as 'negative' as it might look after reading above posts. There are several engineers who've 'adjusted' themselves to the system and are working happily. But no one can deny that a large number of engineers employed in IT feel that they can do much better than following instructions set up by the clients.

The age old debate continues. If India produces high quality engineers; why is there not a single software product from India that competes in the global village? I personally wonder why bigger & established companies dedicate a few hundred engineers to developing their own products for the common people. I'm quite sure a bunch of engineers working in big IT companies can develop a web browser to compete with Mozilla & Chrome & Opera. πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Couldn't agree more on -

But they convince themselves that they are professional because they speak English fluently and know how to wear a tie. Employees feel their salaries are pathetic. I feel they are overpaid. How much should a good software user earn?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    An interview is not only an opportunity for an organization to evaluate an applicant, it is also an opportunity for the applicant to evaluate an organization.

Very well said by the blogger.
    I evaluated an organization based on this experience -
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Almost every 1 in 5 IT engineers is either frustrated or bored. Everyone I know wants to start something of their own OR do a job that uses their complete potential. Most of the students go for CS/IT in engineering because they think at the end of 4 years, they will get jobs with handsome salaries.
    But, we have failed to see that 'money' is not really a great incentive.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    By the way; people should be fine working in Indian IT unless they want to work as an 'Engineer'. 😁
  • avii
    avii
    Thank you for replying πŸ˜€

Thing is I tried discussing about this with my classmates and they were not interested. My college topper who has 9.5 CGPA does not know about difference between Service & Product based companies & he was the first guy Infosys was proud to hire πŸ˜›

Whenever I try to talk about these things, I am ignored by my friends & teased for thinking out of box. "Aa gaya smart banne" etc etc. Well, I have stopped thinking about it.

The more problem I see is, the hiring process. I wasn't sure why they do all the analytic skill tests / Tech interviews, when they hire, they wouldn't even let them do the real job. But later, after long discussions with people, HRs & employees, the process is made to take best from the group [& later drown them πŸ˜›]

We were trained by group of professionals about how to get job, answering tech questions. Seriously ? We need training in how to make a good resume, attending interview etc, but not about Tech questions right ? So this institute, trained us & prepared us how to answer questions. All they did was, teach us old interview / apti questions from earlier Infosys papers. And add no surprise, the next day Infosys had 95% of same questions. So they trained to answer the set of questions which they seemed to know appear in Question Paper. Question arises, where the hell our analytical skills are tested ? We already know the questions, just there were changes in numericals !

By WE, I say about me & my classmates. I didn't attend any of those interviews since I had alreday decided not to join any of them. And do higher study.

We had to pay 5000 INR for training & it was compulsory. When all my classmates attending this training, I was only thinking about 5K.

The total final year students in my college are 800. Lets assume, only 600 students attended & paid for this. Total money paid is 5000 * 600 = 30,00,000. I know my college takes some of it money πŸ˜› So at the end, lets say the trainers get 20 lakhs. There were eight guys. and they earned 20 lakhs for 3 days.

As Big_K mentioned, there is no strong connection between jobs & education. Other factors include pressure from parents. They think to have their son working in Infosys is damn cool.

The_Big_K
    I do not wish to present a negative picture of the Indian IT industry to anyone. It's certainly not as 'negative' as it might look after reading above posts. There are several engineers who've 'adjusted' themselves to the system and are working happily. But no one can deny that a large number of engineers employed in IT feel that they can do much better than following instructions set up by the clients.
    You don't have to be biased, but please create one VoiCE post about this, let the grads know & get the picture about it. IMHO, they should be atleast made aware before chosing their destiny πŸ˜€

The_Big_K
    The age old debate continues. If India produces high quality engineers; why is there not a single software product from India that competes in the global village? I personally wonder why bigger & established companies dedicate a few hundred engineers to developing their own products for the common people. I'm quite sure a bunch of engineers working in big IT companies can develop a web browser to compete with Mozilla & Chrome & Opera. πŸ˜€
    Same question in my mind. May be it's our Government, as we have to blame it for every problem whose cause we don't know πŸ˜›
  • avii
    avii
    and not to mention, we are being told since childhood the Infy is baap of Indian IT, TCS is maa & it should be our ultimate dream & goal to work with them.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those reading this section will always know. But telling the reality and knowing it just doesn't influence the decisions. I've been one of the biggest critics of the Indian Engineering and as a blogger I get pissed off every day because 100% of the news I cover does not originate in India.

A lot of engineers are happy being average, non-engineers. Why blame the industry alone? πŸ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    No, I am not saying to blame industry or engineering grads. IMHO, what happening is, they chose careers because they were not aware of it earlier & they later they get used it. However, my point is, they should be given a fair choice & awareness before choosing πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I know what you're saying. However we're discussing the 'other side of the coin'. This side of the coin would matter a lot to the 'engineers' who opted for engineering to become an engineer and that number is very small. None of the engineering students are ever exposed to what 'real engineering' is and they convince themselves that 'this is' what the best an engineer can do.

Those who are aware that the 'other side of the coin' exist will anyway find out a way to deal with the system or simply quit. But there will always be several 'lazy' and 'uninformed' ones who'll not mind living a frustrated life like everyone else around them. Many of my friends have now done that. They go to work like robots and come back home.

Isn't that one of the reasons why the software engineers are the leading forwarders of "Thank God It's Friday" & "How Sad, It's Monday" emails? It shows! They've convinced themselves that this is what they're going to do all their life.

I'll wait for others responses before commenting further.
  • vinci
    vinci
    avii
    No, I am not saying to blame industry or engineering grads. IMHO, what happening is, they chose careers because they were not aware of it earlier & they later they get used it. However, my point is, they should be given a fair choice & awareness before choosing πŸ˜€
    i totally agree with this .See upto class 12th no one knows what is engineering completely but select it as career and later on frustrated because the course didnt suits them .Better it is provided in prior ,knowledge about higher studies and let them choose career then independently .and the conclusion after 4 years is what i read once in a newspaper "out of 10 lakhs engineer,only 20% are indeed capable to deserve engineering and thus got the job,rest 80% failed to get jobs in It sector and thus remains unemployed or opt for other thing".
    So if some steps took before ,the statistics would change .colleges fill the seats just because of money and no other reasons.
    I dont know exactly but merely less college provides the correct path & trainings in engineering else all have same bookish lectures daily .They failed to make a student an engineer other wise student must proud that he did engineering from xyz college.
  • avii
    avii
    And also some of us even forced to do engineering cos our parents thought being an engineer would be cool where are courses like CA, BSc aren't :-/
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    vinci
    i totally agree with this .See upto class 12th no one knows what is engineering completely but select it as career and later on frustrated because the course didnt suits them .Better it is provided in prior ,knowledge about higher studies and let them choose career then independently .and the conclusion after 4 years is what i read once in a newspaper "out of 10 lakhs engineer,only 20% are indeed capable to deserve engineering and thus got the job,rest 80% failed to get jobs in It sector and thus remains unemployed or opt for other thing".
    So if some steps took before ,the statistics would change .colleges fill the seats just because of money and no other reasons.
    I dont know exactly but merely less college provides the correct path & trainings in engineering else all have same bookish lectures daily .They failed to make a student an engineer other wise student must proud that he did engineering from xyz college.
    Agree!!!!
    All Schools should conduct career consultency right from class 9th.
    Me too wanted to go with science stream upto class 10.
    After that, in 11th new chepter Information Technology added in physics subject in and then I decided to pursue B.Tech. in IT.
  • avii
    avii
    Most of us are never aware what we are doing actually. LOL, I am about to my finish my engineering within 3 months 😁
  • vinci
    vinci
    and if college/schools dont provide better possible solution,WE must do that for the sake of career of so many students .We had passed through that way and now ,can guide those needy students in better way indeed.
  • avii
    avii
    I agree with you. And I do try helping my friends / relatives [& later get scolded from their parents / elder bro for giving such suggestions 😏 ]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    I agree with you. And I do try helping my friends / relatives [& later get scolded from their parents / elder bro for giving such suggestions 😏 ]
    Flowing against the trend is hard.
  • vinci
    vinci
    avii
    we cant give suggestions to elder ones but can suggest younger brothers/friends/relatives according to their interest or their passion.I am not saying all students need the medicine but few needs i really otherwise every year so much engineers were not in trouble if treated accordingly prior to take any decision.
  • vinci
    vinci
    blaming a company ,for their training or anything wont work for us as because they treat us in well manner according to them ,and prepare us for their project work. Its not their fault rather students fail to cultivate those guts in themselves to become an engineer .Who says join infosys even if you would'nt be satisfied with computers then ?Go with what you want to do ,think 1000 times before taking a decision
  • avii
    avii
    Vinci, no is blaming companies here. Lots of people aren't aware of things. FYI, if Big_K makes his story public, then many will be inspired. He is an entrepreneur & loves the job what he does ! After all, at the end of the day everyone wants to do such job which they truly love ! Otherwise we will all become stupid zombies πŸ˜›

You can find some good inspiring stories from here :
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Home - Plugged In

And here is a good list :
    #-Link-Snipped-# [must check !]

After reading all those things, you never feel like working with Infy πŸ˜›

If everything goes as I planned, in next few months, I am also gonna start up something πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If it inspires, the story of CE has been shared on the Internet several times. Here's the one on CE: #-Link-Snipped-#

Yourstory had covered us when they were a very young site.
  • avii
    avii
    really nice read. I always wanted to ask you about it 😁
  • avii
    avii
    True Story :

[​IMG]

😁
  • vinci
    vinci
    πŸ˜– d worst reality with most of the students is given above
  • Shuvam
    Shuvam
    Hello fellows, i was going through this thread, its absolutely right what you guys have posted but i would like to express my views regrading this "IT- General Compartment".

Q)How many engineers pass out every year in India?

"India produces around 750,000 engineers every year. Of these, almost 40 per cent who scout for a job for almost a year, while around 22 per cent take almost two years before bagging a job, according to HR firms."
    Is there 750,000 jobs available in the core sector?? Lets assume 20-30% of this mass go for job rest try for higher studies, even then are there 150000 jobs in electrical/electronics/mech/civil?

We all know the answer, its very easy to say that follow your dreams, try to get a job which utilizes your potential, don't go for copy paste jobs etc etc.. but at the end of the day we all know without mass recruiters like TCS,Wipro,Infy,CTS unemployment rate in India would only increase.

I do not disagree with any one i am just presenting my views.
    I am myself a final year student and i know how it feels when it comes to recruitment. Luckily i could bag both IT and core job but many of us couldn't. Out of 1200 students more than 600 students opted for IT. Few are still not placed. Our college stands in top 5 in Bangalore!

Any comments regarding this?

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    First thing - there's nothing wrong with getting into a typical IT job. There are people who love it; despite the nature of it. The aim of this thread; I believe is to make people aware of the reality; because the perception about IT jobs is very different.

90% of my friends who work in IT (in various domains) have been disappointed because of the nature of work. It's just that once you're into any job and get used to the salary checks at the end of the month; it becomes a little difficult to make a switch to the career of your choice.
  • manishks
    manishks
    I chose cse branch because i wanted to develop awesome applications. I studied vb 6 in 12th and always got very happy after making buttons etc(gui apps). I came to banglore because one of my relative said its best place for it professionals in india. He himself is working in cisco systems.Now the point is biggest recruiter in my college is infosys πŸ˜”..then it is wipro. After reading this thread i am 'scared'. I am still in fourth sem and learning new things everyday. I enjoy programming and want to be part of app developer community! I dont know what to do now. I surely dont want to join these companies. Anyway my dream company is microsoft. But it will be difficult for me to get directly placed in that company!(not impossible! I believe in me) what if i dont get placed in my dream company? What if i get job in these useless companies? I will try my best to gain maximum knowledge and will try not getting into these companies. I hope after two years i am placed in microsoft or some company which doesnt believe in copy paste fundas!! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's bit harsh to call these companies useless. They are good for what they offer. As someone pointed out above, they are mass recruiters and do attempt to solve the problem of engineer unemployment to some extent. Getting a job in any of the big companies shouldn't be seen as a negative thing. If you want to satisfy your programming needs then there's a big world out there on the Internet where you will find tons of projects you can work on. Start contributing to open source projects.

Get a job in the best company you can; work there for two years and keep working on open source projects in the technology domain of your choice. After two years, start applying to all the dream companies and I'm sure that'd be a great strategy!

PS: Don't go for big brand names. Microsoft is a big name, but find out what kind of work is offered to the engineers in India. Why do I say that? Because I have worked for a world's #1 company (quite famous globally in domain) but was totally disappointed.
  • manishks
    manishks
    Hmm..Thank you for your comment biggie! πŸ˜€ the way it was written about these companies in previous comments made me think they are useless. I still have a long way to go. I love it when people like you give your valuable comments! This is the reason i love being a CEan πŸ˜‰.. I wasnt experienced enough to comment in this thread!
    Well sir i am downloading projects avaialable on net and trying to analyse them. I am no a good programmer but i want to become!! And i am getting all kind of help here in CE. Thank you all πŸ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Flowing against the trend is hard.
    I found it hard. One fine day, my aai said, You HAVE to sit for interview. From my experience, I know, there is no further argument.

So, I prepared well. Next day was TCS interview. Everyone (college friends) was tensed😨 To show That I am serious about interview, I quickly revised the aptitude question sets on CE. (Meanwhile #-Link-Snipped-# and me exchanged the same set of *probable questions* πŸ˜›)

In the interview hall, the scene was completely inverse. I was so let down by the company people that I purposefully did not clear the aptitude test.

However, this reflected in my dinner. I did not get food to eat because "Ishan could not pass the interview". Next was Wipro, Now they gave me offer letter but I rejected in on their face. So that I should wash the *kalank* of failing in the interview 😨 . Now I was able to tell that, "I willfully rejected the job".

I kept on giving interviews and kept on failing just to keep the mouth of my relatives shut. But now the water was rising above head. So had to get the job in Hilti India Pvt Ltd.

Anyways, I rejecting even that job because there is something more that earning money.

Moral of the story for IT people: IT engineers have a 100% ASSURED GUARANTEED flop FUTURE. Unless they are really determined to something big in CS/IT industry. I guess, people around you laugh when you say "I want to go ahead of Narayana Murthy or Azim Premji".πŸ‘€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I guess, #-Link-Snipped-# posted this story sometime back. Re-posting it here in this thread. It is titled

"One Extra Bedroom"

As the dream of most parents I had acquired a degree in​
    Software Engineering and joined a company based in USA, the​
    land of braves and opportunity. When I arrived in the USA, it​
    was as if a dream had come true.​
    ​
    ​
    Here at last I was in the place where I want to be. I decided I​
    would be staying in this country for about Five years in which​
    time I would have earned enough money to settle down in India.​
    ​
    My father was a government employee and after his retirement,​
    the only asset he could acquire was a decent one bedroom flat.​
    ​
    ​
    I wanted to do some thing more than him. I started feeling​
    homesick and lonely as the time passed. I used to call home and​
    speak to my parents every week using cheap international phone​
    cards. Two years passed, two years of Burgers at McDonald's and​
    pizzas and discos and 2 years watching the foreign exchange​
    rate getting happy whenever the Rupee value went down.​
    ​
    Finally I decided to get married. Told my parents that I have​
    only 10 days of holidays and everything must be done within​
    these 10 days. I got my ticket booked in the cheapest flight.​
    Was jubilant and was actually enjoying hopping for gifts for​
    all my friends back home. If I miss anyone then there will be​
    talks. After reaching home I spent home one week going through​
    all the photographs of girls and as the time was getting​
    shorter I was forced to select one candidate.​
    ​
    ​
    In-laws told me, to my surprise, that I would have to get​
    married in 2-3 days, as I will not get anymore holidays. After​
    the marriage, it was time to return to USA, after giving some​
    money to my parents and telling the neighbors to look after​
    them, we returned to USA.​
    ​
    ​
    My wife enjoyed this country for about two months and then she​
    started feeling lonely. The frequency of calling India​
    increased to twice in a week sometimes 3 times a week. Our​
    savings started diminishing.​
    ​
    After two more years we started to​
    have kids. Two lovely kids, a boy and a girl, were gifted to us​
    by the almighty. Every time I spoke to my parents, they asked​
    me to come to India so that they can see their grand-children.​
    ​
    ​
    Every year I decide to go to IndiaΓ’€Β¦ But part work part​
    monetary conditions prevented it. Years went by and visiting​
    India was a distant dream. Then suddenly one day I got a​
    message that my parents were seriously sick. I tried but I​
    couldn't get any holidays and thus could not go to India ... The​
    next message I got was my parents had passed away and as there​
    was no one to do the last rights the society members had done​
    whatever they could. I was depressed. My parents had passed​
    away without seeing their grand children.​
    ​
    ​
    After couple more years passed away, much to my children's​
    dislike and my wife's joy we returned to India to settle down.​
    I started to look for a suitable property, but to my dismay my​
    savings were short and the property prices had gone up during​
    all these years. I had to return to the USA...​
    ​
    ​
    My wife refused to come back with me and my children refused to​
    stay in India... My 2 children and I returned to USA after​
    promising my wife I would be back for good after two years.​
    ​
    Time passed by, my daughter decided to get married to an​
    American and my son was happy living in USA... I decided that​
    had enough and wound-up every thing and returned to India... I​
    had just enough money to buy a decent 02 bedroom flat in a​
    well-developed locality.​
    ​
    ​
    Now I am 60 years old and the only time I go out of the flat is​
    for the routine visit to the nearby temple. My faithful wife​
    has also left me and gone to the holy abode.​
    ​
    Sometimes​
    ​
    I wondered was it worth all this?​
    ​
    My father, even after staying in India,​
    ​
    Had a house to his name and I too have​
    the same nothing more.​
    ​
    I lost my parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM.​
    ​
    Looking out from the window I see a lot of children dancing.​
    This damned cable TV has spoiled our new generation and these​
    children are losing their values and culture because of it. I​
    get occasional cards from my children asking I am alright. Well​
    at least they remember me.​
    ​
    ​
    Now perhaps after I die it will be the neighbors again who will​
    be performing my last rights, God Bless them.​
    ​
    But the question​
    still​
    remains 'was all this worth it?'​
    ​
    I am still searching for an answer.................!!!​
    ​
    START THINKING​
    ​
    IS IT JUST FOR ONE EXTRA BEDROOM???​
    ​
    LIFE IS BEYOND THIS Γ’€Β¦.., DON'T JUST LEAVE YOUR LIFE Γ’€Β¦Γ’€Β¦!!!!​
    START LIVING IT Γ’€Β¦Γ’€Β¦.!!!​
    LIVE IT AS YOU WANT IT TO BE Γ’€Β¦Γ’€Β¦!!!​
  • manishks
    manishks
    πŸ˜” an eye opner. Thank you for posting this story here πŸ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    #-Link-Snipped-# - nice story there ! any source of it ?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    As stated in my above post, I think #-Link-Snipped-# posted it some time back. Anyways, I googled the story and found this source. I guess, it is correct.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Issue
    As stated in my above post, I think #-Link-Snipped-# posted it some time back. Anyways, I googled the story and found this source. I guess, it is correct.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#, there are hundreds and thousands of websites, displaying this story... No one can find the original source of these kind of stories... πŸ˜€
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    That story is(would be) actually a written one and not a real one.
  • fakirguy
    fakirguy
    If you read the comments on the actual website where this article was posted, you will see that many people disagree with the post. Look it here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Come on! Infosys, TCS, Wipro are some of the leading IT companies of India. How can this article be true? If you read the follow up post at #-Link-Snipped-# you will see that the author himself has taken back many of his words he made in the first article.

So guys, please read all the posts and then decide for yourself how much sense is there in what the author is talking.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : People will always be dividing based on their opinion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the companies; because they're doing what they are good at. People will talk good and bad things about the companies because they are 'big' and have grown in an entirely different way than people would have expected them to grow. That frustrates people. I'd agree with several points the author has made.

The fact is, no one really understands what type of work is done in these companies. Not that we classify it as good or bad. Services industry is entirely different game than products industry; the skills and experience needed to work in these industries differs a lot.

...just saying πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This discussion has become one of the biggest rant outs about the Indian IT Industry. 3 years back, we didn't realize that those who are looking to work in the IT industry will be googling up and landing on this post this often.

I think that the trouble is with the mentality. The farm labourers who work from dawn till dusk with no hope of a pay-raise, an appraisal, or a promotion are the least appreciated. And those like you and me who sit in air-conditioned offices with 30K take home salary and 2 days of the week (weekends) to ourselves have so much to say about dissatisfaction from the job.

I can't blame any one person for thinking a certain way. It is the mind-set that has to change. Over glorifying a certain industry or a company and derating others is doing us no good. IT Industry has its own big pluses and minuses, it all depends on how you take it in the long run.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, The CrazyEngineers team is attending the TiE Conference 2012 at Nagpur on 25 & 26 February. The TiE Conference is entrepreneurship extravaganza and a *must attend* event for all...
I remember I was in the first year of engineering and we had learned a totally new concept called "Mass Bunk". The first ever mass bunk that we organized in...
Taking GATE exam this year was an interesting experience for all. It is said by the officials that GATE 2012 results will be announced on March 15, 2012 at 10:00...
CS/IT engineers may rejoice. The latest stable version 2.4 of the popular HTTP web server 'Apache' has been released after a long wait of 6 years. There are a ton...
hi, after Long time posting something. Actually i joined wipro technologies on 17th Jan 2011. Got 3 months initial training on .Net . after that due to shortage of project...