The Science Of Getting Inspired & Doing Nothing

I'm calling it a science because I think it needs a systematic study & I'm sure if someone tries to find out why a lot of people get inspired after listening to great motivational lectures, watching inspirational videos, reading personality development books etc. and then go back to their routines, acting just the way they've always.

I'm quite sure each one of you reading this post has felt motivated, inspired and almost made a determination that you'll change yourself to the 'better you', but have done nothing; forgetting everything that you *learned* like it never existed. Give it a thought!

I've seen this quite often in the context of entrepreneurship. Most of the entrepreneurship related motivational talks are actually based on common sense. They talk about getting out of comfort zone (and finding a new comfort zone), being positive, seeking ways to solve problems, being a leader, doing things that you haven't done, finding your passion etc. It feels absolutely great when we listen to them; but 1-2 hours down the line, we're back to where we've always been.

Have you ever been inspired by anything (talk, lecture, seminar, video, song, movie whatever) and have *actually* taken steps to change yourself? If yes, tell us about it. If no, tell us why not.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think you are right. It has happened with me so many times. ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    There is a lot of difference between 'getting inspired' and 'staying inspired'. I think staying inspired day-in and day-out needs a lot of efforts and discipline. We have to inculcate it in ourselves like a habit.

One idea can be noting the points that inspire us and reading them first thing in the morning each day. โ˜•
    I have no idea if this idea will work or not.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    There is something called procrastination, you know!! ๐Ÿ˜›

Getting inspired is one thing. Turning that inspiration to action is an entirely different thing.
    In fact, I have experienced 'inspired' procrastination, wherein, I would get really inspired and would plan to do something really useful.. Then some other thing will come up and my mind would be convinced that it's actually better to do whatever I planned to do later, and not now. I would give reasons for that myself.. Like, if I had planned to study something that night, and if some of my friends were online, playing a game, I would convince myself that it's actually better to study in the morning since I would be fresh and all, and go on to gaming.. In the morning, sure enough I wouldn't read. So it all stops with the planning ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    silverscorpion
    There is something called procrastination, you know!! ๐Ÿ˜›

Getting inspired is one thing. Turning that inspiration to action is an entirely different thing.
    In fact, I have experienced 'inspired' procrastination, wherein, I would get really inspired and would plan to do something really useful.. Then some other thing will come up and my mind would be convinced that it's actually better to do whatever I planned to do later, and not now. I would give reasons for that myself.. Like, if I had planned to study something that night, and if some of my friends were online, playing a game, I would convince myself that it's actually better to study in the morning since I would be fresh and all, and go on to gaming.. In the morning, sure enough I wouldn't read. So it all stops with the planning ๐Ÿ˜
    ๐Ÿ˜ Looks like most of us sail in the same boat.

How do some people keep themselves inspired then? ๐Ÿ˜
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I have a peculiar way of staying inspired. It is related to "Angasamudrik" and frustration.
    Angasamudrik is an art of reading ones thoughts through his/her bodily features.

Coming to point, I have observed that every single famous man/woman in this world has a handsome nose. Look at scientists, politician, actors, Entrepreneurs and every famous personality.

If someone has been *successful* in his/her field, that person is 100% likely to have a handsome nose.

Not only that, I lack some of the bodily features of success. It frustrates me. So for taking revenge for all those who are successful, I use this made up frustration in my favor and work.

However, it is very hard to stay frustrated always ๐Ÿ˜‰. Hence you cannot always guarantee awesome results. For getting success, *repeatedly* achieve small targets and make them big. So far, whatever small targets I have set, I have achieved considerably good results.

For example, my targets are as simple as writing a good and timely mail to someone. Or, cleaning my room in least time feasible. Let us say the frustration theory works for me.

I am also checking if same is true for bigger cases. If it is so, and we can stay inspired, my success will be a bench mark for proving that Angasamudrik is bogus. For doing this, all I have to do is complete the tasks in hand efficiently.

Anyways for me, I know the truth that your determination, cannot be judged by how you look. For we all know that, where there is a will there is a way.

Let us say I plan to contradict my own theory.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Think about this -

External Motivation Fades Away
    Internal Motivation Lasts. If the internal motivation turns into 'fire'; it leads to action!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Think about this -

External Motivation Fades Away
    Internal Motivation Lasts. If the internal motivation turns into 'fire'; it leads to action!
    Yep, this is what should be our first and final achievable objective. As I said, you cannot remain frustrated always.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Issue
    Coming to point, I have observed that every single famous man/woman in this world has a handsome nose. Look at scientists, politician, actors, Entrepreneurs and every famous personality.

If someone has been *successful* in his/her field, that person is 100% likely to have a handsome nose.
    (Note to myself!!) Should soon get a rhinoplasty done!! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Btw, Lord Voldemort was a fairly *successful* wizard, who didn't have a nose.. just a thought!!
    (Jus kiddin!! ๐Ÿ˜€)
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    silverscorpion
    (Note to myself!!) Should soon get a rhinoplasty done!! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Btw, Lord Voldemort was a fairly *successful* wizard, who didn't have a nose.. just a thought!!
    (Jus kiddin!! ๐Ÿ˜€)
    Well, I was replying to "How do I stay inspired."

As far as Angasamudrik is concerned, your body depicts, how you behave and what are your personality traits.

I would like to say- "You are what you are because of what you are and not who you are!" Confused?โ˜•
    your body is only an indicator.

In other words, let us say you are a successful person with a handsome nose. One day due to some accident, you lose it, you will still remain suceessful. Because the nose was only an indicator. Losing it will mean no change in your fortune. Only you will look quite ugly. Nothing more.

Meanwhile Lord Voldemort was a fantacy character, Anyways, before resurrection he had a beautiful nose. #Mind it ๐Ÿ˜

One more, do not do rhinoplasty, we are unique as we are ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm looking forward to stories where inspiration led to action and action lead to some positive change. Anyone?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ^^ Ah.. converse is not necessarily true, you say!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Got it! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I'm looking forward to stories where inspiration led to action and action lead to some positive change. Anyone?
    Towards the end of my high school days (1954) I came across a book:"Applied Imagination" written by an advertising executive, Alex Osborn.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I was captivated by it and its message on brain storming. I began to apply it religiously. Later in Andhra 'Varsity found more books on creativity and how it can be cultivated. For some reason, engineers are considered to be rooutine bound. I did not want that. I have been at this throughout my life.
    Tony Buzan and his Mind Mapping and Edward deBono and his lateral thinking all followed.
    I found all had something common with Osborn.
    I am of the firm conviction that Osborn was to a large extent responsible for my current philosophical make up.
    Curiously around the same time I read a Tamil book, which extorted the reader to avoid ambition and take up activities that one would love to do. I adopted that as my working philosophy.

In the final analysis, I was truly inspired to do nothing except what interested me without having to bother about being successful in others' eyes.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : That's interesting. I've read several books and the books that have influenced me the most are -
    The first book, I'd say, made me rethink about my own lethargy and adopt the 'Screw It, Let's Do It' attitude. It helped me conquer my own fears and made me look at every problem as a 'challenge'. It's a different mindset altogether, I must say.
    RDPD helped me take out my own thoughts and put them into action.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    There should be some way of getting inspired early morning each day. Unfortunately reading "motivational quotes" does not work.

Can we do something for this, right here on CE? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - If the motivation is internal and 'strong' enough, it will last forever or at least, until the aim is achieved.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I some how take inspiration from things around us. My motive in life so far has been - never give up hope.
    The other day i saw a dog, with 1 leg amputated and 1 leg crippled, (on same side of body)so technically it was searching for food with 2 legs and then a axed tree, which shoots out new green.
    I am not too found of spending time on reading inspirational books., the only books I read was autobiography of Swamy Vivekananda when i was too young (my father used to explain then to me ), but i think its more like if u really like it, you will stay inspired
  • lal
    lal
    Inspiration and sympathy are short lived ๐Ÿ˜
    I often get inspired internally and externally by different ways like reading inspirational writings or watching videos of the same or just by making it myself inside me by thinking. But i lack the determination to go with it which forces my inspired mind to go back to normal. Seems like its the 'determination' factor that we all miss ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    lal
    But i lack the determination to go with it which forces my inspired mind to go back to normal. Seems like its the 'determination' factor that we all miss ๐Ÿ˜€
    Read the chapter on Habits in the book The Principles of Psychology by the great American Philosopher William James. This was the one thing that helped me get out of a hopeless addiction to nicotine in my college days. I would be smoking if awake. I would smoke even in the middle of a meal. I would get up from sleep in the middle of the night just to smoke a couple and go back to sleep. William James helped me beat that habit 45 years back. I never smoked again.

He can help you also to stick to it once inspired.

Classics in the History of Psychology -- James (1890) Chapter 4
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I can post many motivational stories, which I finding around me and some of my self experience too! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • vinci
    vinci
    sometime motivational stories works for some moment but not everlasting .We need to stay positive which we may not be every time .We dont need to look on other success ,wasting time is what is this .Just look at our self,what you want,DO follow every possible steps for it.LIVE it,DREAM it .EAT for IT,even Breathe it .FEEL a positive power always with you,empowers with you a light of tomorrow .We need to believe that a tree with sweet fruit is being hit more.So, let the difficulties come and let them know we ARE'nt being defeated .DONT LOOSE the path in any case.DOnt go for reading stories until you really need it .Build your words that motivates yourself I indeed do it always when i feel down It works for me .Hope it works for others also .๐Ÿ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The bottom line is; no external factor can *ever* motivate you for the long term. Yes, these external factors can make you feel good for a short period of time. I think people have this nasty habit of killing their internal motivation to be better at something or acquire a new skill.

...and I've realized that people, basically, are *lazy*.

How many here have felt the *FIRE* in their hearts for something 'ever'. ?
    The_Big_K
    How many here have felt the *FIRE* in their hearts for something 'ever'. ?
    ME!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    AbraKaDabra
    One idea can be noting the points that inspire us and reading them first thing in the morning each day. โ˜•
    I have no idea if this idea will work or not.
    Instead of reading them first thing in the morning, how about writing them daily first thing in the morning?
    Your first five minutes of the day decide your day.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Dancer_Engineer
    Instead of reading them first thing in the morning, how about writing them daily first thing in the morning?
    Your first five minutes of the day decide your day.
    I agree. One anyway reads as one writes. The act of writing is an active one that will enhance the chance of imprinting the idea in the brain.
  • X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    One point is to just LOVE the work whatever you are upto....i.e be positive
    Hatred and negative thoughts can decline the motivation....
    Sometimes I get an idea, think think think, do nothing, and because of the idea thought, I get inspiration from it!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Oceanliner
    Oceanliner
    I think Steven Pressfield put a good name to what's holding people back from doing their "art", i.e. follow their inspiration. In his book Do The Work He names this internal obstacle "the resistance" as something that is out to demotivate you through force, cunning and bargaining.

Perhaps there are some evolutionary benefit to having an ingrained fear of failure and adventure. Besides if we are taking a group evolutionary view of the matter then it might be enough that one or two in a large group has some kind of adventure drive.

My brother holds an interesting view of what might be driving innovation. He use to quote that "It wasn't a full and content caveman that invented the bow and arrow". This could mean that necessity drives inventions or personal growth. If we are fully content in our present place then there's no need to make the effort.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Oceanliner
    My brother holds an interesting view of what might be driving innovation. He use to quote that "It wasn't a full and content caveman that invented the bow and arrow". This could mean that necessity drives inventions or personal growth. If we are fully content in our present place then there's no need to make the effort.
    Well said. ๐Ÿ‘ Being satisfied with what you have decreases the chances of innovation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello all, i am not very much expert in MATLB... i am designing a real time pic microcontroller based ECG system...for that after processing the real time ECG data through...
It's an important question asked in HR. Lets share the views. Question : What's Your Weaknesses? How do you overcome them?
Here is linux based OS for those who are a bit annoyed with linux type interface. Using Zorin you can switch your interface between Windows 7, XP, Vista, 2000, Mac...
I am not finding all elements in my ANSYS software............many elements are missing like pipe16 and all 2d elements..........Can anyone give me any solution to this problem.
Update: Thank you for all your questions. This thread is now closed. We'll post an announcement as soon as our Small Talk with Dr. Bhatkar goes live on CE. Dr....