New Apple iMac (2012) Price In India Is Rs. 85900

Apple has announced the new iMac 2012 with upgrade specifications and of course price. We'll give you the bad news first - the new Apple iMac (2012) price in India will be Rs. 85900 for the basic 21" model. That price would certainly make it unaffordable to most of the people who've been dreaming of buying one. The bigger 27" model is expected to cost even more and the price for 27" iMac will be Rs. 122900. But there are lot of improvements in the hardware which might make you want this all-in-one (AIO) desktop machine. Apple's achieved a thinner design that measures only 5 mm along the edges. What this means is the new iMac will occupy even lesser area on your desktop and will surely impress those who don't like bulky stuff. The thinness of the machine makes me want to call it 'iMac Air'.

A lot of people were expecting Retina display to make entry on the iMac lineup; however Apple's decided to keep it for their next release. The screen, however, is better than the one on earlier iMacs. The new iMac (2012) will boast a gapless display laminated with glass which makes it less reflective. Apple's could shrink the width of these machines by developing a hybrid of the SSD and regular magnetic HDD into what they call a 'Fusion Drive'. The fusion drive is innovative in many ways - it stores all operating system files and applications on the SSD component while the media and documents are stored on the regular HDD, thus you get the best of both the worlds. The drive combines 128GB of flash with 1TB or 3TB so there's ample space for almost everything. The SSD will ensure that read/write is faster while the HDD will make sure that there's enough room for storage without improving the costs tremendously.

The 21.5" iMac features a powerful 2.7 GHz quad-core, Intel i5 processor, 8 GB of main memory (RAM) along with 1 TB of storage capacity. Those who plant to use their iMac for graphics intensive tasks will be able to benefit from Nvidia GeForce GT 640M GPU. The higher end version of the same machine will have the process clocked at 2.9 GHz and a faster GeForce 650M GPU. The price of the higher-end 21" iMac will be Rs. 99,900. The screen resolution will be 1920×1080 (1080p full HD).

The basic 27" iMac will have similar specs as that of its smaller brother. The machine will have Intel i5 quad-core processor clocked at 2.7 GHz, 8GB of RAM (main memory), 1TB of storage space and an Nvidia GeForce 660M GPU to handle all the graphics related calculations. This machine will cost Rs. 122,900. The top end 27" iMac will boast a powerful quad-core Intel i5 processor operating at a frequency of 3.2GHz along with 8GB of RAM and 1TB of storage. It will have an even faster graphics processor from Nvidia GeForce GTX 660MX. This AIO desktop will have screen resolution of 2560×1600 pixels which is similar to the recently launched 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

iMac-2012-Price-India

But those are the hardware specs for the retail machines. Those who want custom built machines will be able to include Intel Core i7 processors, 32GB of RAM and up to 768 GB of flash storage. There will be several options for the Fusion Drive featuring 128GB flash drive coupled with a 1TB or 3TB hard drive. OSX Lion will be able to handle the Fusion Drive in smarter way. As I said before, it will keep the OS related stuff on the SSD while move the media and document files to the HDD. Apple's known for their hate for Adobe Flash and the Optical Drive (DVD/CD). Finally the optical drive has been dropped from the iMac line as well. Apple's designers must have figured out that the Optical Drive can't be shrunk in size and that adds several limitations to making the gadgets thinner. Eliminating the CD/DVD options from the new iMac 2012 has enabled Apple's engineer to shrink the width of this computer significantly.

The iMac however offers ample connectivity options and ports. Both 21.5" and 27" models will feature 4 USB 3.0 ports, two Thunderbolt ports, an SD card reader, Gigabit Ethernet port, standard 3.5mm audio jack and a mini-display port. The new iMac (2012) will make it to the markets in November.

I'm impressed by what Apple's doing with the new iMacs. First signal that the company sent out is that they still want to continue with the desktops line of business; innovating and improving them. Secondly, Apple's taking steps carefully and that's the reason they did not include the Retina Display in the iMacs right away. These displays are costly and may push the prices of iMacs even further, which may make them totally unaffordable and uneconomical choice for many consumers. I can't wait to get my hands on the new iMac. Hopefully I'll have a chance soon.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    1 word WOW
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: The new range of iMacs will be available in India starting November 30th. As mentioned above, the 21.5" iMac base model will cost Rs. 85990, while the 27" base model will cost Rs. 1,22,990. Looking at the hardware specs offered in the new iMac, I'm wondering why Apple's decided on such an exorbitant price hike. The slimmer design is okay - and it may add to the looks of the machine - but come on; there's nothing 'very impressive' on the hardware / software side. Granted - you will get the fusion drive, but it doesn't really bring anything 'out of the world' the the Apple iMac ecosystem!

I'm really getting pissed off by Apple's pricing strategy now. I love the iMac product - but it *should* be within the budget! Come on folks, you're asking us to pay a LOT more for thinner desktop designs. Do we really care for thinner computers?
  • TheCoolDesiBoy
    TheCoolDesiBoy
    Apple has been doing this for ages, bring out a product in the already crowded and provide just that little bit of features that tempt the buyers and when they are reeled in put a high price tag in it.
    For example the iPod, at the time it was released there were other mp3 players available in the market at lower prices but Apple gave the mp3 player a new stylish look and started the white earphones trend and once people saw it in the market they had to buy it immediately irrespective of the price tag.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am not fan of Apple & I will never be in that league, however I must say Ipod was among greatest inventions of all time.
    I agree Sony was the first who developed walkman & mp3 players, but those players were clumsy with 10-12 buttons while Apple developed something revolutionary, a 2 button white colored edge-curved palm sized ipod.

Coming to topic, Get processors & motherboards from Intel (let's say i7), A Sharp or Samsung manufactured display,Graphics card from Nvidia, modify Intel's SRT with a bit & name it Fusion drive & patent it ... Assemble all this shit in white polymer made by a chinese & bam! your iMac is out!
    And people with no clue about technology names Apple as hardware company.Damn 'em.
    I will name Apple a "designing company",which is capable of designing attractive outer look of gadget ... look inside the gadget & you will find same shit is sold by other companies in 50-60% less dough.

PS : I will prefer Tata Nano over iMac 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I found an excellent dictionary "Engineering - The Illustrated Dictionary Of Electronics by Tony, Tim, and Samuel" which describes alomost all technical terms. i found that at: https://23ebooks.blogspot.in/2012/10/free-download-engineering-illustrated.html Suggest some...
I'm developing a website for my friend. I'm stuck in a place where i need to create a folder -in a second server not directly accessible for public-and populate it...
Can all CEans tell what according to you is the criteria they look in a person to be a role model
A ball like structure which will float in water , and such 4 -5 balls make box sink provided box alone will also float in water, may be with some...
Friends help me understand how the center of mass and centroid are different from each other?