How Not To Be Nervous During Any Job Interview

I've seen many bright candidates don't do well in interviews just because they become to nervous during job interview. Well, can we control our nervousness and face the interview with smiling face and confidence? Let's find out -

1. What makes us nervous?
- There are several reasons. I don't want to touch upon them. But the basic cause of nervousness during any job interview, in my opinion of course, is the fear of failure. We constantly keep convincing ourselves with the negative outcomes. We tell ourselves that the interviewers are going to ask the world's toughest questions to us and laugh at us if we don't answer them. The negativity surrounds us and that causes the fear of failure.

2. Reality?
- So, are the interviewers really eager to find a chance to harass you? Or they're there to select the right candidate for the job? You know the answer.

Trust me, any interviewer or a panel of interviewers just want answer to ONE SINGLE QUESTION: If I/we select this candidate will I/we be happy working with him/her?

Yes! That's what every interviewer wants to know. This single question involves everything: Your technical knowledge, your attitude, your smartness, your overall personality etc. No one would love to work with a dull, clueless, less-informed person.

3. So what should you do?
- First accept the fact that we all have our own limitations. No matter how much you study, there's always scope for more knowledge about any topic. Having said that, you should -

- Be happy with whatever you've learned at your earlier, current job or school/college.
- Tell yourself the fact that success/failure in one interview won't make/break your life.
- Cool yourself by avoiding repetitive thinking about what makes you nervous.

4. Facing the interview: Ultimate tip:
You might laugh at me after reading this tip. But it works if you use it properly. It'll take away all the nervousness out of your mind and make you relaxed during an interview.

Tip: While facing any interview, consider the interviewer as your distant relative!

Now, how'd you talk to a distant relative, say older than you? You'd talk naturally with a smile, won't crack unnecessary jokes and not be 'too' serious as if every mistake of yours will get punished! Would you be nervous if your distant relative asked you a question you don't know the answer? Of course not, you'd simply ask for more information and see whether you can answer it, if not, you'll simply say you aren't aware of it! It's that simple! Interviews aren't very different from a natural conversation.

That's how it works and it's worked for me when I appeared for interviews. All my interviews offered a very nice experience and I cracked all of them with this simple trick. Because at the end of the day, the my interviewers were selecting their younger brother for the job; it's a different story that we had never met before.

If you have questions, ask them in this thread. I'll answer all of them.

Replies

• chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    Lovely tips sir
  • viggnesh90
    viggnesh90
    Hello sir,
    I just can't figure this in my mind yet. When we are asked the question "Tell me about yourself" in interviews, what is the answer the interviewer expects from us. And for questions like "Why are you interested in coming into IT sector after pursuing ECE major etc. Can u please guide me through these kind of common yet vague questions during interviews.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Awesome information😀Thanks Biggie!
  • viggnesh90
    viggnesh90
    Active participants, please help me out with this. I just have 2 more days for my placements!!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Thanks for the tips Biggie.
    Really HRs are very friendly.
    My Friend attended an interview few days back. You know, She spoke with HR very friendly, seems like they are really friends off the scene. Like asking him to select her(yes, she is asking "Sir, You should select me, that's it") and asking more time than they given for the break and asking about his job and all...
    And you know, she got selected 😀
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    That was a great help. Thank you for putting up this thread.
  • YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    YOUNGGRASSHOPPER
    Those were some very thoughtfull insights. I especialy like the 4 point about considering the interviewer a distant relative.
  • mellowyellow
    mellowyellow
    I definitely appreciate that last tip. I think it is the perfect advice! You don't want to be as lax as you would be with a best friend, but comfortable enough as it is with a distant relative at a family reunion. I don't think there is necessarily any way to calm nerves entirely, and sometimes that is a good thing as they make you perform in ways you didn't know you could, but the best thing to do is try and show some of your personality. Be yourself and make sure you exude confidence and a uniqueness that will set you apart from the rest!
  • freak16
    freak16
    Nice information Biggie!
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Thank you Biggie!!! Great help...
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Thanks biggie 😀
  • coffeechaser311
    coffeechaser311
    Nice tip Biggie!

Showing up for the job interview can be a nerve-racking experience, especially if you are applying for your first job. Indeed, preparation is important to ensure that you will be making a great impression to the hiring officer. Saying the wrong things can cause rejection. On the other hand, knowing exactly what to say during the interview can win you positive points to a potential employer. Take a look at some of the things that you should say to your interviewer:

1. I have done my research about your company. Telling the hiring officer that you have done your homework to know more about the company shows your genuine interest in the job and your initiative to learn.

2. I am flexible and work well with a team. Hiring officers are looking for potential candidates who are a pleasure to work with. When asked if you are a team player, don’t just say yes.

3. I am an optimistic person. Employers are looking for workers who have a positive outlook. Optimistic people see problems as a challenge, not an obstacle. Instead of complaining, they find a way to get over the challenge.

4. I am determined to succeed. What you lack in experience, you can make up with motivation. Since this will be your first job, you may not have the experience like other job seekers.

5. My personal goal is to enhance my skills and experience in this field. Employers are looking for people who have a potential to grow with their company. This statement shows that you are really serious about getting hired for the job and that you intend to do your best to stay with the company for a long term.
  • cchandansjce
    cchandansjce
    Superb tips sir , Thanks a lot
  • X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    While facing any interview, consider the interviewer as your distant relative!
    Nice sugestion .But what if the conversation becomes too much friendly..That can be overfun..

Also what about the foreign slang. Recently I had a telephonic call interview from US clients.They asked one technical thing..But I overheard it as some other..Anway I didnt get selected.
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    Really, nice information. Thanks for sharing.😀
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    X-Engineer
    Nice sugestion .But what if the conversation becomes too much friendly..That can be overfun..

Also what about the foreign slang. Recently I had a telephonic call interview from US clients.They asked one technical thing..But I overheard it as some other..Anway I didnt get selected.
    Friend, do not pretend anything. Feel free. By the way interviewer usually do not let it be too much friendly. And even if he does, Be assured, you are selected 😀
  • cchandansjce
    cchandansjce
    Hi guys ,

When an interviewer asks us to tell about ourselves then what all points we should say and wat not ??
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Interviewer may ask you what do you expect about salary. DO NOT SHY AWAY. He is also checking your confidence.

He asked me. I think we can negotiate there. I would have got a increase of 25K on the spot. The rise is not significant but it shows the *possibility* of the idea.

Initial package INR. 300000 after negotiation 325000.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Something that I find useful and very simple to do -
    1. Maintain a correct posture during the interview, sit up straight, no slacking and slouching
    2. Be aware of what you do with your hands, learn to control your hand movements and be illustrative .. dont show a wrong hand gesture (folding of hands across your chest, or tapping your fingers on the desk, etc)
    3. When answering show some spark/zeal ... lean in when answering
    4. Speak with conviction and do not fumble/mumble with your words. Keep insecurity at bay
    5. DO NOT over-exaggerate on your CVs (most CVs I see do this sadly, and in the interview it becomes apparent)
    6. If you do not know something, do not fib .. just own up and say no
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    +1 on the CV thing. I hope the tips I've shared on How Not To Be Nervous During Any Job Interview are useful.
  • Beginner
    Beginner
    The_Big_K
    I've seen many bright candidates don't do well in interviews just because they become to nervous during job interview. Well, can we control our nervousness and face the interview with smiling face and confidence? Let's find out -

1. What makes us nervous?
    - There are several reasons. I don't want to touch upon them. But the basic cause of nervousness during any job interview, in my opinion of course, is the fear of failure. We constantly keep convincing ourselves with the negative outcomes. We tell ourselves that the interviewers are going to ask the world's toughest questions to us and laugh at us if we don't answer them. The negativity surrounds us and that causes the fear of failure.

2. Reality?
    - So, are the interviewers really eager to find a chance to harass you? Or they're there to select the right candidate for the job? You know the answer.

Trust me, any interviewer or a panel of interviewers just want answer to ONE SINGLE QUESTION: If I/we select this candidate will I/we be happy working with him/her?

Yes! That's what every interviewer wants to know. This single question involves everything: Your technical knowledge, your attitude, your smartness, your overall personality etc. No one would love to work with a dull, clueless, less-informed person.

3. So what should you do?
    - First accept the fact that we all have our own limitations. No matter how much you study, there's always scope for more knowledge about any topic. Having said that, you should -

- Be happy with whatever you've learned at your earlier, current job or school/college.
    - Tell yourself the fact that success/failure in one interview won't make/break your life.
    - Cool yourself by avoiding repetitive thinking about what makes you nervous.

4. Facing the interview: Ultimate tip:
    You might laugh at me after reading this tip. But it works if you use it properly. It'll take away all the nervousness out of your mind and make you relaxed during an interview.

Tip: While facing any interview, consider the interviewer as your distant relative!

Now, how'd you talk to a distant relative, say older than you? You'd talk naturally with a smile, won't crack unnecessary jokes and not be 'too' serious as if every mistake of yours will get punished! Would you be nervous if your distant relative asked you a question you don't know the answer? Of course not, you'd simply ask for more information and see whether you can answer it, if not, you'll simply say you aren't aware of it! It's that simple! Interviews aren't very different from a natural conversation.

That's how it works and it's worked for me when I appeared for interviews. All my interviews offered a very nice experience and I cracked all of them with this simple trick. Because at the end of the day, the my interviewers were selecting their younger brother for the job; it's a different story that we had never met before.

If you have questions, ask them in this thread. I'll answer all of them.
    Thank you for the tips sir..
  • mechky
    mechky
    #-Link-Snipped-#

How to answer a very common question? - "Tell me something about yourself?"

What I have found is that one should not talk about personal things and instead the answer should be relevant to the job for which the interview is being going on. It should show how much one is appropriate for this job.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You just have to tell him about yourself!

A brief summary about your work and what you do if you are experienced and about your education if you are a fresher.

I am a panel of QTP interview at my office, last saturday I interviewed around 10 people. So I would give you some tips which makes you look good since I have seen bright people and really hopeless people as well.

1. Talk about your work , in case of QTP talk about the framework you use and the technology of the applications you work.
    2. Dont talk non-sense.
    3. You should be ready to code if you are going for a technical interview.
    4. Be prepared to write the code whatever is asked.
    5. AS someone said, if you dont know say NO dont answer something wrong.
    6. Be calm, the interviewer is NOT interviewing you to prove his skills, he is just asking questions based on his project and the difficulties the candidate may face if selected.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    And finally be positive 😀
  • mechky
    mechky
    English-Scared
    You just have to tell him about yourself!

A brief summary about your work and what you do if you are experienced and about your education if you are a fresher.

I am a panel of QTP interview at my office, last saturday I interviewed around 10 people. So I would give you some tips which makes you look good since I have seen bright people and really hopeless people as well.

1. Talk about your work , in case of QTP talk about the framework you use and the technology of the applications you work.
    2. Dont talk non-sense.
    3. You should be ready to code if you are going for a technical interview.
    4. Be prepared to write the code whatever is asked.
    5. AS someone said, if you dont know say NO dont answer something wrong.
    6. Be calm, the interviewer is NOT interviewing you to prove his skills, he is just asking questions based on his project and the difficulties the candidate may face if selected.
    Thanks for your suggestions. But I am a fresher. In fact I am in my final year and I will be facing interviews in my college campus only. So it is pretty much obvious that they will be knowing from which college and from which branch I am. So my point is what should I talk about? I have been least interested in extra-curricular activities in my college. I attempted few projects but they failed. So, practically there is nothing about my education that I can talk about.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why should I go for parallel programming for my application since I am getting all the services in the current version VS 2005 in the form of Async thread. Please...
hi, My recommended that canadian universities are best for MS and i could find better education over there.I need to find the better univ concerned to my field of interest.My...
Hi guys can you please help me out in finding algorithms and related information regarding development of cloud computing facilitating grid technology and developing a small scale architecture using them...
October 29: Samsung Electronics India has launched its popular tablet - Samsung Galaxy Tab in India - one of the first three markets in the world to get this device....
Looks like people are flooding the website to pre-book the tablet. I'm constantly getting following message: Bandwidth Limit Exceeded The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to...