Configuring XAMPP server to run my project

Hi! Guys, I have done a project using php and I compiled the project using wamp server. But now I want to run the same project using Xampp server so could anyone tell me how do I run the same project using xampp server locally on my computer. Do I need to change the index.php file of the project or do i modify any file?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. It's very easy to configure and run XAMPP on your local machine, which I assume is Windows. I'll present the overall steps below and we can then go into specifics; whenever you face any issues following the steps. The first step would be to download and install the XAMPP software. I'd recommend downloading the lite version because it has almost everything (latest PHP and MySQL) to help you run your project. I'm assuming that your project doesn't need more than a php compiler and mysql database server.

Download the software and then install it on your drive. I believe for Windows; the software tells you not to use C: drive because it may run into permission issues. I remember running it in D or E drives because then the software runs without issues.

Follow the steps of the software installation wizard and you'll have XAMPP installed on say following location: D:/xampp/

Now, the next step is to locate the htdocs folder inside the root installation, which in our case is /xampp/. So you'd go to D:/xampp/htdocs .

Note that the htdocs is your web-root; that is apache will locate this folder to find the files and code it will attempt to execute. Your project's index file would be located directly in the xampp folder. So that you will be able to access it from #-Link-Snipped-#

Configuring The Database

You can easily setup your database using phpMyAdmin in XAMPP. Head over to #-Link-Snipped-# and you'll be presented with a nice GUI to configure your database. Create a database of your choice from the front page of phpmyadmin and you can use it with the default username and password (aka 'root' and ' ')

Depending on your project; you'll have to update your settings or configuration file to have following database settings -

server: 127.0.0.1 (localhost)
    username: root
    password:

(The password is empty; unless you configure the xampp settings).

Above steps are intended at providing you with the basic information on how to setup your XAMPP. If you encounter problems, please post them in this discussion. Please provide as much information about your problem you can because it helps others understand and reply to your questions.
  • sravan18
    sravan18
    hi, my database file is fine but I don't know what to change in the index.php file i attached the index.php code in the index.txt file. while I tried to open the localhost in the browser it opens the index.php file and displays the message as "Unable to open WampServer\'s config file, please change path in index.php file". So could you please check the index.php file and could please tell me what code should be changed to get run on the wampserver locally.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You don't need to change anything in your index file. As long as your configuration file is perfect XAMPP system should pick up the settings and execute the HTML / PHP presented to it.

I'm a bit confused here. Do you want to make it run on XAMPP or WAMP? In either case, both of them are just the server/database systems that will execute the files that we throw at them.

I want you to -

1. Explain the logic you've presented in the index file.
    2. Give us an idea of the system.
    3. To me, the index file seems to be part of an existing system; which I'm not aware of. More insight would definitely help.

Be aware that HTML is just a 'markup'; not a logic/code as such.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Because there is no Sun - is no good an answer. As a school going kid that kind of answer felt good to live by. But now, if you think...
hey..my name is parinbumia...i am an electrical engg. student from MSU,vadodara........actually..i have a deep interest in combining electronics and electrical.......so//......any help from all u members is always...welcomed......thnks...😀
I want to ask how the speed regulation is done in case of ceiling fans. Also, as how the speed of the fan changes on changing its capacitor, that is,...
In the last few days of getting the BSNL folks to setup the FTTH connections, I've been messing around with the fiber cables and have been amazed by the technology....
Chevrolet India launched two new products in a gap of 2 days the updated Cruze and Captiva. Chevrolet will launch its all new Sail hatchback and Sail sedan in India...