ZTE Open Firefox OS Phone Has $80 Price Tag In US - Now Selling On eBay

ZTE, the Chinese telecommunication giant, is now going to sell the Open Firefox OS smartphone in the United States (US) and Britain. Going on to sell through eBay in the US for $79.99 and 59.99 pounds in Britain, the Firefox OS based phone is fast gaining grip in the geek circles. The nonprofit organisation of Mozilla Foundation is directly aiming the competition at Google's Android and Apple's iOS. ZTE said that, "The global availability of the ZTE Open through eBay means that more consumers worldwide are now able, for the first time, to buy an affordable smartphone based entirely on open Web standards." Freeing the developers, operators and consumers from the constraints of existing closed ecosystems by using the Web as the platform for all functionality and applications, Firefox OS plans to start a one-of-a-kind revolution.

At such incredibly low rates, ZTE is planning to make the phone a hit among cost-conscious customers. The smartphone offered for US and British consumers is a bright orange in color (just like the popular Firefox Logo), while a blue version has been on sale in Spain and Venzuela and a black version in Colombia. Back in May, we told you about how Foxconn and Mozilla were planning to launch the Foxconn-Mozilla To Launch Firefox OS Powered Devices At Taipei On June 3. Later in July, ZTE talked of aZTE Open Is $90 'Firefox OS' Phone too. And now at such a low price point, who wouldn't want to give the foxy phone a try?

slide

Dr. Li Gong, Mozilla Senior VP of Mobile Devices said, "Mozilla is dedicated to moving the Web forward as a platform for innovation and building products that people love. We are pleased that now we will put the full power of the Web in even more people’s hands. With a great potential user base, we know that even more developers around the world will create their apps with new APIs to stimulate an inspiring new wave of innovation." ZTE Open is all set to offer all the functions expected from a smartphone – calls, messaging, email, camera – plus additional experiences that people really want, such as built-in social integration with Facebook and Twitter, location-based services like Nokia HERE maps which include local transit and traffic information and much-loved features like the Firefox Web browser and the Firefox Marketplace.

Let us know what you think about this phone and its price. Share your thoughts in comments below.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Zte-yes i had seen the sale of this products in homeshop18.

Firefox os is the word that immedietly strikes the mind.Waiting eagerly to find how it competes android os.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I am still not sure if FireFox can give competition to Android in any sense. No matter it is cheaply priced and open source, it still is far late to join the market. Others have already made their customer pools.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Now, Available For indian users via eBay : #-Link-Snipped-#
    Quite low-end specs but as it's unlocked device, I would now prefer FFOS rather than Samsung's 7K low-end Android device.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One of my blog readers wrote the following and I asked him whether it's okay to reply to his questions via our Entrepreneurship / Startups section. He agreed. I'm posting...
Intex is fast pacing up in the race of cheap tablets in India. With the launch of Intex i-Buddy Connect II tablet, the company is going for the < 10,000...
In India, there are thousands of budding social entrepreneurs who are implementing technological solutions to tackle the severe most day-to-day problems. There are some who have the best ideas but...
Its been a while where we always talked about android vs apple vs bb vs win8 but what would a customer expect from its manufacturer.To this competition a new contendor...
I installed Windows 7 and then installed Ubuntu 12.04, every time computer was booting in windows 7. Then installed Ubuntu first and then Windows 7 same problem again.This problem never...