Your Sitemap appears to be an HTML page. Please use a supported sitemap format instead.

If you submit your sitemap in Google Webmasters and it gives the error -
"Your Sitemap appears to be an HTML page. Please use a supported sitemap format instead."

What should you do to fix it? Please share.

[I will try to get back with a solution once I find it.]

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's always better to use a XML sitemap or a simple text file that has links to various sections or pages on your website. At CrazyEngineers, we use XML sitemaps that adhere to guidelines set up by sitemaps.org
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    may be your site map was not created properly

You can use following links to generate them for your website

Create your Google Sitemap Online - XML Sitemaps Generator

XML Sitemap Generator - Create free Google sitemaps online
  • Prateeksrivastava24
    Prateeksrivastava24
    Google webmaster tools gives an error when you are submitting sitemaps because you can use HTML sitemap,Google webmaster tools can support only XML Sitemaps.So you can create XML sitemap by using following websites.
    1.Create your Google Sitemap Online - XML Sitemaps Generator
    2.sitemaps.org - Home

I am suggesting you to first you will test the sitemap and then submitting on webmaster tools.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How will you use the online generated sitemaps on a wordpress site?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    You just need to pass the URL for which sitemap needs to be generated

It is easy
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Manish Goyal

It is easy
    How do we host a sitemap for wordpress site on the site, I meant.
    Like Engadget -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    If you have your own hosting, then you can just upload it through FTP,otherwise if you are using some sub domain, then I don't think they will really allow you
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Manish Goyal

It is easy
    What about the entire site? How does one have a sitemap that adheres to Google News sitemap guidelines that gets updated immediately as you publish a new article?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sitemaps, at the core of it, is just a collection of links and related description to various parts of your site. It's just a way to tell the people, and search engine spiders about the location of the content which they'd otherwise miss. But these days, sitemaps are mostly created for the benefit of search engine spiders.

Google may not accept HTML sitemaps; and I really don't know the reason. Maybe they need a more formal mechanism of telling what the links are, when were they created, what should be the priority with which they should be visited and what's the frequency that the content on these links will change.

You may submit multiple sitemaps or just a single sitemap with links pointing to any part of your domain or sub domain. Technically; a sub-domain may be an entirely different site; and Google may not pass the page-rank to subdomains from the main domain. That's why people choose to list their own separate sitemaps for each sub-domain.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ankita Katdare
    What about the entire site? How does one have a sitemap that adheres to Google News sitemap guidelines that gets updated immediately as you publish a new article?
    In that case you have to update your site maps manually or you can write a script that will update it via some Cron job that will run everyday
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like there is no solution for this for non-coders. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜›

I think someone here at CE should publish the code for wordpress here at CrazyEngineers and keep it for download.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like there is no solution for this for non-coders. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜›

I think someone here at CE should publish the code for wordpress here at CrazyEngineers and keep it for download.
    There are many Wordpress plugins available for this, Google site map generator is best for this I believe. it's just a matter of click on button whenever you want to update it

But all this will be only possible on your own hosting , if you are running a website on some subdomain then ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Manish Goyal
    There are many Wordpress plugins available for this, Google site map generator is best for this I believe. it's just a matter of click on button whenever you want to update it
    Nope. There aren't many wordpress plugins available. You can test them in free time.
    There are a lot of plugins for generating sitemaps as such. But none for generating "Google News Sitemap"
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Manish Goyal
    XML Sitemap & Google News โ€“ WordPress plugin | WordPress.org
    Not sure if it works properly. I have heard and read a lot of complaints that there's an issue with that plugin too.
    Some of the plugins don't get updated immediately. Some have trouble adhering to google news guidelines. Some don't allow content to be chosen only from some categories and so on.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyway, I hope that link one works fine.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ankita Katdare
    Not sure if it works properly. I have heard and read a lot of complaints that there's an issue with that plugin too.
    Some of the plugins don't get updated immediately. Some have trouble adhering to google news guidelines. Some don't allow content to be chosen only from some categories and so on.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyway, I hope that link one works fine.
    ๐Ÿ˜, that's the reason people hire freelancers like us, Getting a software that meets your needs exactly to the point is really not an easy job
  • AppDazzle
    AppDazzle
    You will get this error if you are using caching plugin.. Make sure you whitelist sitemap url so that plugin does not cache it and treat it as html...

for ex - add this url in caching plugin where it says whitelist or don't cache this page in case of WordPress Super Cache.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Good job spamming an old thread ^ this person.

I think I found a solution back then. A simple wordpress plugin helped me do the job with the right settings. Wondering why I didn't update the thread back then. Anyway, better late than never.

If anyone is getting the same error as above, please post your queries below. We will be happy to help.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    It will be great if you could post name of plugin
  • AppDazzle
    AppDazzle
    Ankita Katdare
    Good job spamming an old thread ^ this person.

I think I found a solution back then. A simple wordpress plugin helped me do the job with the right settings. Wondering why I didn't update the thread back then. Anyway, better late than never.

If anyone is getting the same error as above, please post your queries below. We will be happy to help.
    it was't spamming... I was searching for a solution and came here on crazyengineers through Google search... I was just helping since this page is ranking on 1st page of SERPs.. there was no solution so I added.. that's it..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Manish Goyal
    It will be great if you could post name of plugin
    I really don't remember. It could have been one of these:
    XML Sitemap & Google News โ€“ WordPress plugin | WordPress.org
    Better WordPress Google XML Sitemaps (support Sitemap Index, Multi-site and Google News) โ€“ WordPress plugin | WordPress.org
    What I found is that as per the requirements of the website owner, one needs to play around with the settings a lot. Sometimes it's the cache, sometimes it is the categories that one needs to submit to the sitemap for Google News, sometimes it's the work of another nasty plugin playing around with your new sitemap plugin's code.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let us quickly have a round of posting for CDAC preferred centers by all the applicants. I found the following list from one of the members :-1.CDAC PUNE2 KP3.Sunbeam Gultekdi...
Name: Ananyaja Debadipta *Engineering Trade: Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering Location: Silicon Institute of Technology, Bhubaneswar *Occupation: (Student|Working|Self-Employed|Unemployed; details please!) Working (Assistant Professor in Silicon Institute of Technology, Bhubaneswar) Work...
Happy B'day @Abhishek Rawal ๐ŸŽ‰ Many many happy returns of the day.. ๐Ÿ‘
Name: Swapnil Sharad Titar *Engineering Trade: BE IT Location: PUNE *Occupation: Working as a software developer in ATOS ORIGIN, PUNE Work Experience: almost 2 years *Hobbies & Interests: playing cricket,...
dear sir, i got PG DESD pune after first round ..... i want to know about placement of DESD in pune and what is the highest salary package company offere???????