YikeBike - The Ultimate Light Weight Electric Folding Bike

Today I was just browsing through the net and what I found really made me say “yikes!”.  The manufacturers have correctly named this ultimate bike as yikes, because that is what every one who sees it is going to say. Actually this is an electric bike but not just another one. The design of the bike catches everyone’s eyes on the road. So I just thought that I should share this with you guys. Here are the specifications of this awesome electric bike –
[​IMG]
Image Credit: hardwaresphere.com

Weight: 23(lbs) (10.8 Kgs)

Frame: Made up of carbon fiber composite

Power: 1(KW)

Battery: LiFePO4 battery

Brakes: Anti-skid electric brakes employing regeneration

Drive: Brushless DC motor

Speed: 14.3(mph) (23kmph)

Range: 6.2(miles) (10 Kms)

Weight limit: 100(Kgs)

The bike comes folded in a case with a belt so that u may carry it easily where ever you go on shoulder. Brake, indicator and accelerator triggers are provided on the handle. The company claims that the battery gets fully charged within 45 minutes. So charge for 45 minutes and you can roam for 10 kilometers. Moreover the company has provided regenerative braking system. Thus the precious power that is wasted during braking can be fed back to charge the battery. Even looks wise I find the bike quite impressive. Also being electric bike there is no question of emission and environment concerns.

However there are a few drawbacks that I can see. First and foremost on the list is the cost. The pricing starts at $ 3,595.00 and that is the showroom price. So the shipping or tax charges are extra. To be frank, if I get a resale car at a cost of two such bikes, I will surely wait and go for four wheeler. The other thing is its range. With the given range you can go as far as 5 kms one way. So the bike has a limited use say inside university campus or factories with large shop floors. The riding posture also does not seem comfortable as you have your hands behind your back. I think this may get strenuous for the back. There is no arrangement for a small dickey or even a place where you could hang a small bag.  Hence I am skeptical of this bike being a good business model as such. Still, if you wish to order one, hit thewww.yikebike.com.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yeah you read it right! The biggest social networking website Facebook, which has over 500 million users, has added a feature that might help in rescuing someone from attempting suicide!...
Glaucoma is the forerunner in diseases causing total blindness around the world. Glaucoma is caused due to damaged optic nerve which in turn is affected by the increase in eye...
We have already heard of the robots getting human like in physical appearance and form. To outdo that, here comes a technique which will make the robots sense the touch...
Today at around 2.45 pm there was a massive earthquake that literally rocked the world’s earthquake capital Japan. The magnitude of the earthquake was measured as 8.9 which is really...
After adding the anti-suicidal feature recently on its website, Facebook now has added another feature concerning the safety of its users! The new option allows you to report against “bullying...