Yale University Astronomers Discover Septuplet Of Dwarf Galaxies With New Dragonfly Telescope

Yale University astronomers have discovered not one, not two but surprisingly seven dwarf galaxies orbiting around the area nearby M101 spiral galaxy. While probing the area surrounding the galaxy, this discovery of unseen septuplet of galaxies, which were hitherto overlooked owing to their diffuse nature, came all of a sudden considering the small section of the sky. These galaxies may provide predominant perception of dark matter and galaxy evolution.

Galaxy

A new type of telescope named 'Dragonfly Telephoto Array' developed by joining eight telephoto lenses, was instrumental in this discovery. The dyad of astronomers, Pieter van Dokkum and Roberto Abraham from the university of Yale and Toronto designed a compact, oven-sized, robotic telescope in 2012, which uses telephoto lenses (used in events like the World Cup) with a special coating to repress internally scattered light. The telescope is named Dragonfly for the reason that the lenses used are like the compound eye of the namesake insect. Owing to this, the telescope was proficient at identifying scattered, low surface brightness of recently discovered galaxies.

Telescope

Allison Merritt, a Yale graduate student and lead author of the paper about the findings in #-Link-Snipped-#, mentioned in a statement that the septuplet of galaxies may be the tip of the iceberg and there may be thousands of others in the sky that are not detected yet. He also added that the predictions from the galaxy formation theory give rise to the need for numerous dispersed, obscure galaxies in the universe. Further, he stressed that the true nature about the discovered galaxies cannot be determined until more data is collected.

The Yale scientists will address exigent query related to these newly discovered galaxies whether they are revolving around M101 spiral galaxy or they are located closer or farther away from it.

The team has been granted the opportunity to use the Hubble Space Telescope for carrying out their further studies in retrospect of the team’s latest discovery.

Source: Hi-ho! Astronomers discover seven dwarf galaxies | YaleNews

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am planning to purchase a Smartphone and MAXIMUM budget is 13K. I am very much confused between Asus Zenfone 5 and Moto G. Zenfone 5 has better Camera that...
If Xiaomi Mi3 smartphone's launch in India has been successful in capturing your attention, this news is sure to be your next pleasant surprise. The company's facebook page 'MI India'...
Date of Job Fair - 18th July, 2014 At GGI Campus, GT Road, Ludhiana - Khanna Highway Interested Diploma Students are advised to carry minimum 3 copies of resume for...
Im a 2014 mechanical engineering graduate from VTU... I have an aggregate of 67% I'm at present lost in confusion, i have no idea what to do or where to...
In an event held in Delhi, HTC took the stage to unveil two new smartphones for the Indian market: One E8- a cheaper version of flagship One M8 and the...