What is the use of core in a transformer?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vipin verma
    Have you referred any book or resource yet? I'm sure you will find an explanation.
  • Vipin verma
    Vipin verma
    I find many explanation, but I am not getting accurate answer and am not satisfying from my side, from that answer.
    If anyone wants to join debate, it will be better for doubt clearing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Watch this video:

I think it's got the best explanation of how the entire transformer works and why the core plays an important role. I'm sure it will answer your question. If it doesn't clear your doubts; feel free to ask your specific questions below.
  • Vipin verma
    Vipin verma
    Its great video, But plz try to catch my point.
    We also know about wireless power transmission, there is no need of any type of CORE, but its same work as a transformer, transfer energy from one side to another side.
    When in wireless power transmission, there is no need of core then why we use core in a transformer?
    We can wound secondary coil, on primary coil in a singe pole or holo pipe.
    According to physics:- when we apply power supply in any conductor coil, it creates a magnetic field.
    then we can link secondary coil from this, due to mutual induction emf will generate in secondary coil and get output supply.
    For better understanding plz see this image.
  • lal
    lal
    There are a few things which make core an invaluable part of a transformer.

I am hoping you are aware that induction of voltage in the secondary winding of transformer is a result of the interaction of magnetic field created by the primary coil with the secondary conductors. The more the flux linkage, better the energy transfer and efficiency. Just like how the resistance of a material relates to the magnitude of current flowing through it, magnetic field through different materials experience opposing force for its buildup. That is called permeability. Better the permeability, less resistance it has for magnetic flux.

An iron core in the transformer has many times more permeability than air. So it allows effectively almost all the flux generated by the primary coil to be linked with secondary resulting in maximum energy transfer. There would still be some leakage flux outside the core, but still, that is negligible. Anyway, core is there to accumulate all the flux and make the flux linkage maximum between the windings.
  • Stephen B Johnson
    Stephen B Johnson
    Ok, if you are asking this question then you have no fundamental knowledge of how a transformer works.

Eliminate the core entirely and see how well it works. It'd be difficult to get the windings, but your core would be free space. You'll quickly discover that your transformer does not work very efficiently.

You need to understand how electric and magnetic fields come into play. Maxwell and Biot Savart would be a good place to start studying.
  • Vipin verma
    Vipin verma
    Dear, Mr. Stephen
    Plz give me ans of a single question, in only one word.
    Transformer can be design without core or not?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Please be respectful.
  • Stephen B Johnson
    Stephen B Johnson
    No. This is the answer to whether a transformer can be designed without a core.

A transformer without a core would be two inductors coupled with only electric fields via free space. The characteristics would not resemble any properties of a transformer.
  • Vipin verma
    Vipin verma
    I asked in one word?

but Thanks!
    Plz, try to do practical and then find ans.
    Never says to anyone, Transformer can't design without core.
    It's proved, a transformer can design without core. But some conditions.
  • lal
    lal
    Vipin verma
    Plz, try to do practical and then find ans.
    Never says to anyone, Transformer can't design without core.
    It's proved, a transformer can design without core. But some conditions.
    So did you make it? What did you find out? Worth calling it a "transformer" and serves the purpose without a core?
  • Vipin verma
    Vipin verma
    Yes I found,
    Transformer can be design without core,
    But losses will more occurs, that's why we use core for better efficiency.
    Wireless power transmission also work on same procedure as transformer, but there we don't use any type of core. Air is work as core.
    Read my upper comment.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Vipin verma
    Dear, Mr. Stephen
    Plz give me ans of a single question, in only one word.
    No!
    The thing which you're referring as "no core" is not actually absence of core. In that case, air is acting as a core. That's your short answer.

What's wrong with having air core? Refer to #-Link-Snipped-#'s answer. He has explained it.
  • lal
    lal
    Vipin verma
    Yes I found,
    Transformer can be design without core,
    But losses will more occurs, that's why we use core for better efficiency.
    I assume you know the purpose of a transformer clearly! So, without a magnetic core, does it meet the purpose of a practical transformer? Or can you address it a transformer at all?
    Wireless power transmission also work on same procedure as transformer, but there we don't use any type of core. Air is work as core.
    What is the maximum distance over which you have seen wireless transmission of electricity work efficiently? And what do you think is limiting the distance?
  • Vipin verma
    Vipin verma
    For small voltage 15cm
    And for large voltage 30-40 cm
  • Vipin verma
    Vipin verma
    So, what's your opinion Now?
    Plz give ans in only one word?
    Nothing else.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The magician has again made it to the news, while I say that, it means it is no one but our favorite honeycomb shaped Graphene and the world’s biggest treasure...
Is it possible to apply an upward force on an object (not placed on ground) from below without thrust??
I am EC graduate with 57.8%.after completing the final semester exam i have prepared for GATE 2016 exam but failed even to clear the exam.Later i decided to join IT...
Hii friends,i have completed my btech this year in ECE(ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING). Iam not interested in software field.what are job oppurtunities for me other than software. please guide me.
In transformer, a coil is wound on core and primary coil is connected to power supply. According to physics:- when we wound conducting wire (copper) on any magnetic material in...