Writen communication. Is it that important?

EMAIL! I have an account, whats a BIG DEAL!

Yeh, I agree, if that statement was made by one of my friends.

All thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for motivating to write on this topic as I read one of her topics where she wanted some one to lead on personality development of engineers.

Cool!. To people who do not know about my background, I was a Metal Fabricator, a professional autocad Designer, certified welder in 2G, 3G and 4G welding..... lol thats not what airtel claims that they will pay your bill if any slower than 3g speeds.......

But on a serious note, I am an aspiring programmer like most of you who post " Where to Start programming".

I had a short career in Metal fabrication and soon I realized thats not the career I want. So I moved to a US medical billing company and everything changed from there.

My present organization is basically into development of softwares for Dr's in U.S, so that they can get their claim paid. We also have set of people who work on denials on claims to ensure that our Drs get paid.

Its been just 2 years with this organization, but I hold a critical position of interacting with our clients or so called DR!.

CLIENTS! not friends and they arent always available on phone. Then what do I do?

Bingo! you got it right, I should email them.

Yeh Yeh........ just another email describing our problem.

STOP THERE!

There are lot of things considered when you draft an email. Would it have be my friend, I might have understood. But when you interact with person who does not understand your culture, how do you expect him to understand the content?

We Indians are programmed to "Read Between the Lines". I don't understand Malyalam, but when I see a movie in that language, I am able to conclude or at least speculate what's going on. Ever wondered why? because we read between the lines and the conclusion may not be what we desired.

On the other hand let me talk about American culture; it is absolutely opposite. They will not speculate or read between the lines. We may cover this topic in depth later if required.

When I was new in this organization,I still remember my first conversation with an native american. He was quite upfront to say that "Dude! you gotta slow down. I ain't getting a word of what you saying.". Phew! what can be more embarrassing that that. But on other hand that motivated me to learn English as a language.

Today I experience a weird thing. One of the companies named 'Job Buzz' emailed me saying 'we want your feed back about our contribution'. I lost it on them. Why? they started the email by saying "Hi, Jadhav", by the way that's my last name. They had a scoring bar from 0-10 and a place to leave comment. The score was obvious 'Zero'. Wondering Why? You talk so much about corporate ethics, but one thing you failed is to address a customer. You either say" Hi,Sushant" or you say "Hi, Mr Jadhav".

I hope this would have drilled down some ethics that I have learned from my experience. Correct me if I am wrong because I am a human who likes to accept my mistake and move forward ensuring I don,t repeat it **.

Those couple of stars means "Conditions Applied".... LOL!

I am not covering email etiquettes on this forum. Some time down the line I will supply it if there is a demand. Of course I believe in conserving energy......... HAHHAHAHA!

Cheers! and see you soon.......

Too much of Gyan ............. Then watch some meaning full Adds from past.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sushant J
    ll thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for motivating to write on this topic as I read one of her topics where she wanted some one to lead on personality development of engineers.
    Thank you for the credits. ๐Ÿ˜ Keep writing big posts!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Cochin International Airport (CIAL) has set an example for others by being the first ever airport in India that's fully powered by solar power. On August 18, Kerala chief...
I'm pretty new to the phpStorm IDE and Github as well. I already have an account on Github and have spent time exploring it; but I'm still not familiar with...
Being born and brought up in a traditional Marwadi family where for long being self-employed has been the norm, in the heart of hearts, Pravesh Dudani always knew that he...
Anybody can explain steps or procedures for starting own online retailing. What are the technical and legal terms need to be consider. How taxations and invoices should be generate. Thanks!
I am going to give my AMCAT and Elitmus exams ,so what benefits I can get from my results?And also i want to know about certain this types of exams!