Write my own Shell!

Hi all,
I was just thinking of a fun project. And this flashed to my mind. I would like to write my own shell similar to the "Bash Shell" but much simpler and concise.
As I'm from Electronics and just know a bit of programming. It would be great if you guys could give me some idea to implement this.
The biggest questions on my mind are:
1. which language to use?
2. Is this idea feasible? If yes it should not take more than 7 days of effort at the rate of 1 hour per day.

Any suggestions which could make this idea more interesting without increasing the complexity?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow, this would be a nice project. bdeepak - Why don't you lead this project? We'll make it a project in our CE Labs.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Deepak,
    Check out Let us C, one of the chapters he has given a very small piece of code, which can be changed to make a shell. A very stripped down one at that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys, we are engineers and thinkers and not limited to our scope of studies.. Here is a peek into the "world order". Go ahead and give your views on the...
Please tell me the difference between plasma and lcd tv. It will be helpful if someone provides me the full detail.
Give views on the most versatile material used in production these days.. Kindly adhere to the following format: Which material do you think can be shaped up into max products....
You can thank Gravity for keeping you "grounded" or curse it for being "overweight" 😉 Comment on the pros and Cons of Gravitation..
Do you think students are right in changing their fields at the time of campus recruitments? I mean alot of engineers, apart from IT and Computers, switch over to IT...