World's Simplest Electric Train - Explanation? Possible In Mainstream?

An YouTube Uploader who goes by the name 'Amazing Science 君' has created this simply DIY project. It's being called the world's simplest electric train. Using a magnet, a dry cell and a copper wire, he has created a simple design of an electric train.

This is one of the most brilliant things I've seen in some time. Could someone here explain how is it working? And is it possible to build such an electric train for public transport in real life?

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    explain how is it working
    The copper wire has to be bare without varnish insulation. The magnets are electrically conducting. The voltage of the dry cell is now applied to the portion of the copper coil between the magnets. The coil now becomes an electromagnet. This hollow magnet now tries to centralize the magnets at the end of the cell to balance the field. Since the coil does not move and the dry cell is free, this moves. But there is more coil available at the new location. This process continues till the cell exits the coil or keeps going round and round when the coil is made endless.
    There is nothing amazing if one gets down to basics. It will be an inefficient means of transport since the cell is shorted through the copper coil. This will drain the cell very quickly.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    And is it possible to build such an electric train for public transport in real life?
    Nope. We already have much advance systems that use electricity and magnetism: the MAGLEV. I was wondering why don't these guys use the magnetic levitation in elevators: Maglev Elevators - Possible?
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well I am really bad at electro-magnetism. But I refreshed a few concepts with:

The Lorentz Force

I assume, as #-Link-Snipped-# said, the coil with a magnet inside produces an electric field and a charge moving in an electric field experiences a force parallel to the field. I suppose that is the reason for the acceleration that we see the for the [battery+magnet] assembly moving through the coil. The magnets just served the purpose of levitation here, not allowing the assembly to lose KE to friction.

I am really amazed by this video. I hope if I am wrong in my understanding, someone would correct me.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    The magnets just served the purpose of levitation here,
    Since the current is DC, the coil acts just like a hollow magnet like a solenoid coil. Such a magnet will try to centralize the magnet in the centre to an equilibrium position . There is no levitation. Once the assembly moves, a new portion of the copper coil becomes the magnet. So a dynamic situation is created.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Is that not levitation then? It comes to an equilibrium position, its levitating above/below any contact surface. I think "levitation" is more of a nomenclature thing here.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    It comes to an equilibrium position, its levitating above/below any contact surface.
    This is the position parallel to the axis coil, not radial. In a coil if the magnet locates itself both axially and radially there is levitation and there will be no contact between the magnets and the coil (in this case). No current will flow and the battery magnet assembly will just vibrate. Because of low friction the solenoid effect is enough to pull the weight along the coil length. The power is insufficient to lift the substantial weight of the assembly against gravity in true levitation.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    So you are saying the magnet and the coil are in contact here?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    So you are saying the magnet and the coil are in contact here?
    Have to be to complete the current path. The positive terminal of the battery gets connected to the magnet at that end, likewise the negative. The circuit is completed through the coil, which becomes an electro magnet for that length.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Okay, still did not get what is the force that drives the magnet-battery assembly forward.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CE Members, I am Abrar and this is my first post on CE. I am a 2012 passout BE (ECE). Seeking for an advice on Career change on to...
Xiaomi Mi3 owners may want to head over to the settings section of their phone to update the firmware. Xiaomi has started rolling out the brand new MIUI 6 update...
Looks like LinkedIn is down in India. I'm constantly getting error 503 Service Unavailable message. Not sure if it's just me - because proxy websites have been showing different results....
Quote: Learning how to take great pictures could take a lifetime. After all, photography is an art form and like all art forms, it takes time, patience and practice to...
There were times when Microsoft was the coolest companies in the silicon valley. The company single handedly dominated all the software business with its operating system, office productivity suite, server...