World's Cheapest Smartphone At Rs. 251 - Freedom 251 Touted To Ring Bells of Revolution

Priced at a mere Rs. 251, Freedom 251 comes with a year of warranty, 4-inch touch screen display and 540 pixels by 960 pixels resolution. Running on Android lollipop 5.1 it is powered by a 1.3 GHz Quadcore Processor capable of fast and responsive performance. Packed with 1GB RAM there’s an 8GB of internal memory, expandable up to 32GB via a microSD card.

freedom-251

The device is equipped with a 1450mAh removable battery, with support for a single SIM (GSM). Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, FM with an inbuilt Proximity sensor. On photography front there is a 3.2MP Auto Focus Rear Camera & 0.3MP Front camera for shooting selfies. The device comes pre-installed with apps as Swachh Bharat, Women safety, farmer assistance and many more.

freedom_251

The phone sits pretty decent for its price, considering it was built with the aim of providing futuristic technology products at the lowest cost of ownership to citizens, even in the remotest rural and semi-urban centres of India. The booking is scheduled to start on the device’s website from 18th February 6 am and is expected to remain open till February 21, 8:00PM.

The apprehensions regarding the device are aplenty, though its launch is seen as a great boost for adoption of Internet connectivity in the country given its affordability along with the promotion of digital literacy among masses.

Source: Welcome to nginx!

Replies

• SAMPATTY KUMAR SAW
    SAMPATTY KUMAR SAW
    Wow!If it will work properly,than it will boom the mobile industry...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I don't know but this is looking like big scam to me ! Price specially !!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    😲😲

I am certainly sure, no phone can cost just 251 for a smartphone. Why they have made such a ridiculous price. They should have provided INR. 999/- phone with good build.
    According to review, this is real, moreover they are also providing HEADPHONE ☕

• Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    I have an idea who is that person behind this product. And personally, I know him. Would Definitely update this thread once I get his permission.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    This is insane!. people buy mobile accessories (tampered glass, back cover, even some gbs of net pack) in that price. but as its started as an Make in India initiative it is supposed to be getting government subsidies.

Indian Cellular Association has also raised concern about its 'Mobile industry raises concerns on 'Rs 251 smartphone' - Rediff.com Business' & has written to Telecom Ministry.

meanwhile its website has already been crashed due to heavy traffic since 6 am.

P.S: I guess it don't go the #-Link-Snipped-# way.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Anoop Kumar
    😲😲

I am certainly sure, no phone can cost just 251 for a smartphone. Why they have made such a ridiculous price. They should have provided INR. 999/- phone with good build.
    According to review, this is real, moreover they are also providing HEADPHONE ☕

Agree !
    If you just calculate the price of electronics part it will be more than the price of phone ! Yes, even we buy in HUGE quantity. So No IDEA how they are doing this if not scam !!
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    If its under make in India scheme, I say, lets wait for the user reviews. Sadly, we are living in a world where we doubt the costly things sold cheap as a fake one. Now, when these things were on the verge being displayed after the curtains were rolled out, everyone of us were astonished. Government is not a fool to allow this baby-corn being rolled into our backet smelling it to be fake. Product owner must have sought all sorts of approval, Is n't it? Unfortunately, if it comes out with a fake label, then I am sure, sellers knows what IPC section 420 is. So chill.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Launched by Defense Minister ☕.
    I remember movie "Kingsman: The Secret Service", give free service control all data 😁.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Come to know about this Link:- #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Yes the company has temporarily suspended their services for the next 24 hours owing to overload. The official press release on their website goes-

"Dear friends, we are very grateful for your enormous response and your kind patronage and would submit that as of now we received approx. Six Lacs hits per second as a result of your kind overwhelming response, servers are over loaded,”

“We humbly submit that we are therefore taking a pause and upgrading the service and will revert within or before 24 hours."
  • tommytrant20
    tommytrant20
    frankly smartphone enduring ideas and do a bit disappointed
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Rucha Wankhede
    Yes the company has temporarily suspended their services for the next 24 hours owing to overload. The official press release on their website goes-
    True. Ideally, server crash should not happen when we are kick starting a things like this. I do not say, the product owners do not have any idea how bad the traffic could be. There should have adjustments accordingly. Lets see tomorrow - after 24 hours.
  • lal
    lal
    Let some conspiracy bloom too. Some unknown underground agency is funding the company to create the largest and most effective spy network over India 😁

By the way, if it is a scam, I would say, this is one of the smartest of it!

Debasmita Banerjee
    I have an idea who is that person behind this product. And personally, I know him. Would Definitely update this thread once I get his permission.
    This is most welcome. For sure, the whole country is fervently waiting for some transparency.

Koushal Patel
    Sadly, we are living in a world where we doubt the costly things sold cheap as a fake one.
    We are talking about a cellphone costing two hundred and forty one rupees. The effort to simply code the drivers to make the components work seamlessly would cost more than that I guess. Cost of designing the motherboard and actually manufacturing it. Cost of the components, CPU! Man! The fee to obtain a legal IMEI number alone matches the cost of phone 😁 Disclaimer: I never made any phone. Still that doesn't sound quite possible.

Although, I hope they make it possible and in the proper way.
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    apart from all these... i feel that product pricing in India is very competitive and we should not bring down prices of a product to sudden dead low prices that companies might be forced to compromise and run behind low price and totally lose out on creativity and design.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    lal
    We are talking about a cellphone costing two hundred and forty one rupees. The effort to simply code the drivers to make the components work seamlessly would cost more than that I guess. Cost of designing the motherboard and actually manufacturing it. Cost of the components, CPU! Man! The fee to obtain a legal IMEI number alone matches the cost of phone 😁 Disclaimer: I never made any phone. Still that doesn't sound quite possible.
    You have only gone through my words. Its meaning was pointing towards something else. Not to be rude, I said, till the time we do not taste the product, we should not talk about "how its possible, is it something creepy and etc etc etc". Particularly, my words were for the persons who are unusually behaving all over the internet blogs and twitter and all about this stuff. I repeat, we have a very sophisticated government approval process of allowing these kind of stuffs in the market. Personally, I also take it as a subsidized stuff, but lets just appreciate this happy-go-smiley bubble and fingers cross, it should not burst.
  • lal
    lal
    Koushal Patel
    I repeat, we have a very sophisticated government approval process of allowing these kind of stuffs in the market.
    And are you sure the government and officials closely follow that? If they did, India would have been not what we see now. I don't have to repeat the word corruption here, do I? Anyway, this is not the place we discuss that.

If it's subsidised, who pays the remaining money to the company? It's not the government, that's what I read. Yes, it should not burst, in all sense.

I don't say this is a scam. But, Ringing Bells could be a little more transparent to kill the confusions. Anyway, let's wait and see.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here is the interview of makers
    As per makers, They have promised to give another 4G phone in 3000/- and they are going to deliver it. Their mission is to deliver 50 Lakhs (500 thousand) phones by June
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    lal
    And are you sure the government and officials closely follow that? If they did, India would have been not what we see now. I don't have to repeat the word corruption here, do I? Anyway, this is not the place we discuss that.
    Till now, you are not getting my point. Let me end this. Sorry, and Thank you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What do CEans think of this campaign? Check out this awesome video
Born to a doctor duo, Tejaswinee grew up in Nagpur spending most of her time with her grandmother who used to be a college teacher in Sanskrit. Her parents and...
Quote: From prosthetic arms with movable fingers to artificial limbs with cutting-edge sensor technology, prosthetic technology has taken off dramatically recently. Here are five technologies that caught our eye. Endquote...
Hello, We are two engineering students that are running a survey to help us with our design project. We would really appreciate it if you filled it out it will...
Perhaps you won’t be aware but Caterpillar Inc or Cat, the fellows famous for their industrial equipment have a side business of building rugged smartphones. Their new creation the Cat...