Wolfram Language - New C++ & Java Like Programming Language

#-Link-Snipped-# is ready with his biggest computing & technology project so far, after Mathematica & Wolfram Alpha. This time, it's a new kind of a programming language that is general purpose like C++ or Java yet take the whole programming business to newer heights. Through his post titled "#-Link-Snipped-#", Dr. Wolfram writes that the intention behind this new programming language is to bring the existing super-powers of Mathematica & Wolfram Alpha to programming. Unlike the other general purpose programming languages, Wolfram Language will be mostly self-contained. Dr. Wolfram says that the existing programming languages are focused on managing the overall structure of the program and keeping the language itself limited in scope and then rely on a lot of external libraries for all the additional functionalities they need. Wolfram Language will change all of that!

slide

The Wolfram Language will be a single, tightly integrated system with almost everything included. For example, the language will have ability to plot graphs or do complex image processing or design user interfaces built right in. The language will also have a collection of a large number of web algorithms with many invented by engineers at Wolfram Research. Dr. Wolfram says that he's put in a great deal of efforts in the design of the language over the past several years and ensured that all the different pieces work with each other in perfect sync. This means, performing data analysis and generating relevant documentation is going to be very easy and intuitive. All of this will be aided by mathematical optimisations wherever possible.

wolfram-language-categories

What's most exiting about this programming language is that it has the power of Wolfram|Alpha - the computational engine built by Wolfram, built right in. We bet all of you who've used Wolfram|Alpha were surely impressed by the capabilities of the engine to interpret natural questions and then come up with all the relevant data & information. Wolfram promises that the new language will allow developing programs with nothing but natural language!

Even those who've been afraid of programming & remembering all the keywords will be able to get started with Wolfram Language almost in no time. Wolfram says that it will be incredibly easy to build desktop applications; but the company will launch a public cloud to allow developers from around the world to deploy their creations on the cloud.

You should definitely check out Dr. Wolfram's post on his biggest technology project yet , and also check out his impressive TED talk (video below)-

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think there's something interesting to discuss about this news - they're calling it a general purpose language and I'm curious to know how will this aid in developing mobile apps or software for the gadgets that are to come.

One of the biggest challenge in adapting this would be its ability to run on various platforms. I doubt they're overcoming the challenge of making the language truly platform independent. That is, an app written for one operating system works flawlessly with another operating system; say app written on Android installs and works out of the box on Windows or iOS. ...and I'm not even sure if that's even possible unless all the OS makers sort out their differences.

Tagging @#-Link-Snipped-# for his comments.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    From what I read, I think it's definitely NOT the next C++ or Java.
    I think what wolfram is trying to create will be something akin to prolog; a log based, knowledge focused, logic programming language. Only, they're going to try to make it appreciate natural language. But the question - why is everyone so scared of bringing natural language programming - into mainstream.
    Is it really like bringing COBOL back in action?

Really want some comments here from our programmers.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I am really excited about this as well. I am not sure if this would be something like C++/Java. From the post, I am guessing this can be some product like MATLAB. Now if this is platform and device-type (mobiles,desktops...) then this might cause a revolution as it also promises cloud integration.

What question remains is the level of applicable use and what advantages would Wolfrom give over the existing ones for the programmers.

According to me, Java/C++ haven't been exactly replaceable even by newer languages.

Only time can tell what impact is it going to make on developers.
    Waiting for this one to be released.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your comment, @#-Link-Snipped-# . I think they're promoting it as a language with everything 'inbuilt'. I think one of the recent languages that did it was Ruby and they promoted Rails framework's scaffolding tricks that allowed building a twitter clone in not more than 15 minutes.

Maybe they're trying to include almost everything into a single language. I'm curious to know how the natural language code will look like 😀 .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It looks like most of the US University Campuses will have Super Wi-Fi, a long range wireless network that extends to over 5 kilometres, as compared to the traditional Wi-Fi,...
The Lava Mobiles' premium brand - Xolo is definitely growing by leaps and bounds - that's a verdict you'll pass, when you hear that the company has tied up with...
Google is one brand that needs no advertisement to sell itself, yet time and again we've seen it packing awesomeness into its videos/advertisements that make good use of the search-giant's...
Videocon Mobile Phones has come up with a new 3G-calling tablet called Videocon VT85C. Launched in India at a price of Rs. 8,999, the tablet features a lot of basic...
Honda India has now revealed that its new car - th next generation 2014 Honda City will have its launch in India on 25th of November. At the world premiere...