Wireless On/Off Switch

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I am looking to make my own wireless switches, by having a transmitter and receiver. I know I need to use some sort of modulation, but I am a beginner in design still, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Here is what I need it to do:

1. Work over 50ft

2. Powered by 5 or 12 volts

3. Low cost

The application to this is home automation. I will have a microcontroller connected to a router. The outputs on the microcontroller will drive the transmitters. On the receiving end, the receiver would pick up the signal and either activate or deactivate a relay (120v such as a light bulb). The devices in the house would be turned on and off using an android device.

Please let me know if you have advice. (and yes I have looked into X-10, but I want to make my own)

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    You can use RFM70 or RFM22 modules its communication is SPI based and i've implement same system using these. Let me know if you need any more information.
  • Chebyshev
    Chebyshev
    These are similar to XBees, I agree they are cheaper, but at $10 a piece it's still not in my budget, I was looking into building my own from scratch, since I have access to parts, such as crystals, caps, resistors, and pcb etching machine.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Okey I thought use of RFM70 or RFM22 makes your system more reliable as you can add your own protocol and communication frequency.

for low cost i think you have to give a try to RFM60 as a Transmitter mostly use as a remote and RFM83 as a Receiver. working on 434MHz
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Okey I thought use of RFM70 or RFM22 makes your system more reliable as you can add your own protocol and communication frequency.

for low cost i think you have to give a try to RFM60 as a Transmitter mostly use as a remote and RFM83 as a Receiver. working on 434MHz
  • Chebyshev
    Chebyshev
    I can't seem to find a place to buy them, besides china. Also, they seem to me programmable which doesn't interest me, since I either want an on or off
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Chebyshev
    I can't seem to find a place to buy them, besides china. Also, they seem to me programmable which doesn't interest me, since I either want an on or off
    Ok, I'll give you one more number they doesn't require programming. 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Here is one reference PDF You can design as per your application from this :- PDF
  • nowire9
    nowire9
    Not sure if you're still working on this idea or not, but godfather is right - the RFM modules are good choices for this project (RFM12B, RFM22B, RFM70). All 3 modules are inexpensive and they lend themselves well to a home automation project like you're describing - $5 (RFM70), $6 (RFM12B), $10 (RFM22B). The RFM12B and RFM22B have significantly longer range compared to the RFM70, and operate in different freq bands (RFM12B & RFM22B: 433MHz, 915MHz, RFM70: 2.4GHz). Here is a site with AVR/Atmega code examples for each of these 3 modules: #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i have not took the print of the conformation page after filling of the apllication form what should i do now please help
Electronics engineers & computer scientists were concerned that the upcoming Ivy Bridge from Intel may not get USB 3.0 certification. The good news is that Ivy Bridge has been certified...
Today CEan-BCA_GIRL is celebrating her birthday.​ Let us wish her Happy Birthday!!​ 🎉​ Many many happy returns of the day BCA_GIRL !!​
Often its difficult to figure out which application should you use for the files with unknown or unfamiliar extensions. However, you can quickly do so by using WolframAlpha web service....
Melange 2012 organized by VIT Pune is a national techno-fest happening between 15-19 February 2012. The organizers are planning to offer a bigger and better experience this time. There are...