Wireless Charging of Medical Devices - Pros and Cons

Wireless charging is not new. More and more such chargers are getting into the market. However, medical device industry is chary of using something untested for human use to ensure user safety and to avoid chronic effects.
Wireless has been declared as non ionizing radiation and not posing the cancer risks of ionizing radiation like X Rays or Gamma Rays. Concerns still remain on the long term safety of RF.
Still, the convenience of wireless charging is creating interest for use with medical devices including active implants.
Wireless charging is not without disadvantages. Foremost of these being lower efficiency. The lost power appears as heat. This can lower battery life, which is of great concern in implanted batteries. The cost of such chargers can be about a third more than conventional chargers. However, the convenience of wireless charger may yet tilt the scales.

Read more here:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've never been impressed by Wireless Charging; unless it's long-distance. I think it will take time. But the disadvantages you've mentioned can't be ignored. As the world goes more power hungry the batteries are going to gain more importance. I wonder what are the top advantages of wireless charging?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Other than the limited convenience of untethered charging, I too do not see much benefit. But the consequence of your observation
    As the world goes more power hungry the batteries are going to gain more importance.
    can be more important. The overall efficiency of wireless cahrging is only about 70%. Considering the five billion or so mobile devices in use, even a one watt loss translates to 5,000 Mega Watts potential loss.
  • North Star
    North Star
    If wireless power transmission is acquired permanently, wouldn't it make the batteries obsolete? Like the devices will never have to rely on batteries then when they have the mains supply all the time...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    North Star
    If wireless power transmission is acquired permanently, wouldn't it make the batteries obsolete? Like the devices will never have to rely on batteries then when they have the mains supply all the time...
    Unfortunately life saving medical devices can be life taking if there is a power outage.
    Batteries are a legal requirement.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Reduce live load to be used in earthquake and windload combination or full live load to be used in load combination in design of raft foundation.
i want to take backup of phone device connected to my pc using java programs
AMD's latest FirePro W9000 is the world's most powerful GPU in the recently launched series of Workstation Graphics Line - W9000, W8000, W7000 and W5000. More than gaming, the primary...
Today, CEan chuckofalltrades who keeps tickling our funny bones every week with the 'Absolute Zero' Comics, celebrates his birthday! 🎉 We wish you a very happy birthday Chuck. Keep being...
alerts on my profile say "introduce yourself" bt i dont find any relevant thread to introduce myself here in as . help me out guys