wire when coiled acts as electromagnet but shot circuit takes place when not coiled? y?

A 5 meter wire when formed a coil and supplied voltage acts an electromagnet but when the same wire is not formed a coil and supplied voltage short circuits!? can anybody has clear explanation of this???

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    dhruba sunuwar
    the same wire is not formed a coil and supplied voltage short circuits!
    Says who? For DC current it is irrelevant whether it is a coil or straight. The resistance and hence the current will be the same. There is no short circuit.
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    A.V.Ramani
    Says who? For DC current it is irrelevant whether it is a coil or straight. The resistance and hence the current will be the same. There is no short circuit.
    i had heard someone say this... and the person was very confident... was confused and asked.. theoretically i was sure but i thought there might be some reason... so i posted here.. thank you sir!
  • vishnu tej
    vishnu tej
    Capture yes magnetic field exits in both cases.
    this can be explained by right hand thumb rule for "Magnetic Field due to a Current through a Straight Conductor"

here the thumb indicates the direction of current and the rest of fingers indicates the direction of magnetic field.
    In Magnetic Field due to a Current through a Circular Loop
    This case can be explained by the maxwell's corkscrew rule
    We know that the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire at a given point depends directly on the current passing through it. Therefore, if there is a circular coil having n turns, the field produced is n times as large as that produced by a single turn. This is because the current in each circular turn has the same direction, and the field due to each turn then just adds up.
    Capture2
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    dhruba sunuwar
    theoretically i was sure but i thought there might be some reason..
    The situation changes with AC depending on the coil geometry (Radius, number of turns and such) and frequency there will be an inductance that comes into picture. Normal Ohm's law will not apply if the Ohmic resistance alone is considered.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys I want the help to find out the project title for my final year project..... The project should be research oriented.
Hey i took a topic on irrigation systems and its practices in final year project, so i want to know about some new ideas or techniques in irrigation system in...
I want to download wifi drivers for Dell Vostro 1015 intel R core(TM)2 duo processor. The OS is Windows 7, 32 bit operating system. T6670@2.20GHz. Can I get the direct...
Born and brought up in Mumbai, Deepa was introduced to good food early on in life as her mother and grandmother were really good cooks. However, she didn’t realise that...
Quote:The Maplesoft Magazine – a free collection of customer application stories that highlight how Maplesoft technology is used in advanced engineering and research projects. Endquote https://www.maplesoft.com/contact/webforms/changingfaceofrobotics.aspx?p=TC-5116