Windows 10 - The Last Microsoft OS Will Be 'SaaS'

Microsoft's Jerry Nixon surprised everyone at the Ignite conference by saying that Windows 10 will be the last operating system produced by Microsoft. Now, that immediately leads one to think that Microsoft will not be developing the operating system further and the Windows as a product is being killed. Thankfully, that's NOT the truth. The reality is that Microsoft is making a huge transition to the cloud - and plans to offer Windows as a service.

Microsoft Windows won't have major upgrades like XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 in the past. Microsoft will keep calling their operating system 'Windows 10' and keep updating it through patches and software upgrades. So you should expect new updates being rolled out every few weeks - similar to what Apple's been doing with its desktop operating system OSX. OSX has been around for a while and receiving periodic updates. The industry experts now think that Microsoft will adopt similar approach with all their major software like Microsoft Office as well.

...and that seems to be the trend. How many of you really noticed which version of Google Chrome or Firefox you're running? These browsers keep updating themselves silently in the background so that the end users always have the access to the best software.

It's not implying that there is absolutely no possibility of Windows 11 or Windows 12 in the future - but we are likely not to see it anytime soon.

Curious to know what our fellow engineers think about Microsoft's strategy?

Replies

• Projit Chandra
    Projit Chandra
    NO.. changing of OS is important! new features and new design with features are really required at least one in 3 years! Otherwise what will be the condition. if there would have been only XP and nothing else.. as its a ideal OS!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Projit Chandra
    NO.. changing of OS is important! new features and new design with features are really required at least one in 3 years! Otherwise what will be the condition.
    You don't really require new OS to get new feature. Microsoft can simply push 'new feature' updates and you can update it. But MS has never done it! did they ? But, they'll now have to do it inorder sustain in this market.

Projit Chandra
    if there would have been only XP and nothing else.. as its a ideal OS!
    XP Ideal OS ? Dude! It has reached EOL, it's support has been dropped. Even Anzwix / GTK / 3.17.1. Most new games don't even run in XP.

I however think this one is smart move by MS. Windows 10 will bring in convergence so does Ubuntu. I am keen to see who brings it first and who brings the 'true convergence'.
    When I say 'true convergence', I mean the smartphone with OS, can work as your phone, which can work as your desktop PC and give desktop experience. Can MS do that ?
    Let me quote Mark Shuttleworth
    “So, that pocket PC experience is real on Ubuntu. And, while I enjoy the race, I also like to win. And I bet you do too. And so it will be lovely for us to drive free software first into the convergence world”
    Ubuntu might be first true converged OS.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good points, #-Link-Snipped-# . Who does it first - uBuntu or Microsoft does not matter. What matters more is who finally gets more adoption. I don't see uBuntu anywhere in the race. uBuntu phones are out there, but I don't know anyone who uses it.

As you pointed out, Microsoft does not need a new 'big' version update to roll out new features. In fact having minor upgrades every few days is good. I'm assuming that Microsoft is playing a big bet by letting the OS to be used as a service. I think that's what cloud first means.

Let's see how it works out. I'm excited to see Windows 10 being offered free of cost to the devices with display sizes < 9". That's certainly a step in the right direction by Microsoft.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good points, #-Link-Snipped-# . Who does it first - uBuntu or Microsoft does not matter. What matters more is who finally gets more adoption. I don't see uBuntu anywhere in the race. uBuntu phones are out there, but I don't know anyone who uses it.
    Who does first matters ? I think yes. Who does it better matters even more though. Creating similar looking UI for mobile phones, Tablets and Desktop OS is different thing and 'Convergence' is totally different shit. More than anything I am eager to see who brings 'true convergence' first.

Can Windows phone works as normal phone and when plugged into dock gives desktop experience ? I am still looking all over internet for that answer. If this is not happening then Windows 10 is not true convergence. It's again marketing strategy to fool the non-technical users by using sexy term 'Convergence'.

BTW It's not about race between Ubuntu & Windows. It's all about who will engineer this convergence shit better.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Actually Microsoft is moving from windows to Microsoft ecosystem.
    We are going to see like you got Samsung phone, you have to deal with Bloatwares.
    Good move from Microsoft was porting .net framework and Visual studio to linux and osx.
    But still Microsoft suck at speed, linux systems been good and getting better. Let's see how Windows 10 going to turn out.☕

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Keeping in mind the young selfie-crazed customers in India, Fujifilm has brought there Instax series of cameras to country. Those who would love to capture selfies with friends and family...
Quote: Spiders sprayed with water containing carbon nanotubes and graphene flakes have produced the toughest fibers ever measured, say materials scientists. Endquote https://www.technologyreview.com/vie...tubes-then-weave-silk-reinforced-with-carbon/ (Posted by CEan Clinton Rushing on FB)
The most loved car brand in India, Maruti Suzuki has been on top of its game after launching its flagship hatchback car Celerio last year. Now it has silently unveiled...
It is real. It is a house of straw and can stand all the huffing and puffing. https://insights.globalspec.com/arti...rk=cr4digest&et_rid=419257195&et_mid=80952770
Raspberry Pi has been the darling of DIY enthusiasts around the world thanks to its versatility and dirt cheap price tag. Considering its popularity, it was inevitable someone else would...