Will Google Search Ditch Backlinks In Favour Of 'Knowledge Based Trust Score'?

Google's search engine relies on the complex algorithms developed over a period of time by the extraordinarily talented engineers it's hired from all over the globe. It's kind of a big deal to be on the front page of Google - and that's something quite significant to the entire SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) industry. Google says that in order to rank any page on the results page returned after performing a search with keywords, it analyses about 200 different parameters. Google's also acknowledged that the number of websites linking to any page is one of the important factors in determining how important, useful and relevant that page is.

...and that's the reason several SEOs take backlink profile of any portal very seriously and keep building backlinks to the content on their website. Unfortunately, this unwanted enthusiasm to generate artificial backlinks has resulted into creation of truckloads of spam on the Internet. Therefore it's not surprising to see website that present misinformation ranking well on Google. Google knows that this is a serious problem they need to deal with. According to report published on New Scientist, Google might start ranking content based on the facts and useful information and not the number of backlinks (or referrers) it has.

Google-Search-Backlinks-SEO-Trust-Score

A search team at Google wants to address this problem by estimating a new signal viz. the #-Link-Snipped-#. The team wants to find out the correctness of the factual information provided by any web page. The trustworthiness of any source will be calculated by using information extraction methods which are typically used to build knowledge bases. The computed score will be called Knowledge-Based Trust aka KBT. The team could apply their approach to a database of 2.8 billion facts extracted from the Internet to estimate the trustworthiness of about 119 million web pages. The results were found to be very effective after manual inspection and evaluation.

It's not clear whether Google will actually adopt this approach and ditch backlinks altogether. But even if it moves in that direction - it's going to be a big blow the the SEO industry globally. Do share your views below.

Sourc

Replies

• Arun Goyal
    Arun Goyal
    Well this is right that just 5 OR 6 year before the numbers of back-links were quite responsible for your website's search engine credibility and this is the fact that once encouraged spammers to spread useless and invaluable content all over the internet in order to build back-links. But over past 4 years search engines got smarter and lot of updated were rolled out to discourage spamming such as google panda and Penguin.

These updates were all necessary from google end because one side google is running its revenue machine PPC and charging $5 to $55 just for a click and other side very first pages of search results are showing useless spam content ranking high due to back-links numbers. In this scenario why one would run PPC campaign on google.

So google guys had to do it.....Now your question abt ditching back-links

I would say backlinks are still backbone of your online strategy but now we have to make sure that we are making backlinks through really-really good and audience magnetizing content.

In current scenario only back-link doesn't matter but the content within you are placing it and platform where you publishing it is vital. If your back-link not converting any traffic to your landing page then it is more like a spam link.

Make a deep research and list-out selective platforms for your content syndication strategy. Choose platforms that really convert you traffic and Leeds otherwise your efforts will be in vein, For instance if i am gonna publish an article about 'App store submission guideline" and publish it on a unknown blog hosted on a free platform like blogspot it wouldn't fruitful but if i publish it on platform like appfutura.com, thenextweb.com, searchenginejournal.com it would definitely convert me traffic and Leeds and thus my back-link wouldn't be a spam.

When we talk abt content its not about "Text" always. It could be a video, Info-graph, Slideshow, Animation, How-to, Press-Release, Informational one, Mail ..etc

My Final Opinion :
    Building back-links through content syndication is a time taking process and demands extremely creative and qualified resource. Thus organic search engine promotion has become an expensive practice but it delivers long term benefits.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good points, #-Link-Snipped-#. I think Google won't ditch the backlinks right away. The logic that a useful resource would be linked by many still holds true but the weightage it has had until now is likely to go down. I'm not sure if Google would actually begin trusting the KBT right away - because it might not be just as effective at the scale at which Google functions.

Google's still not cracked the problem of finding out the information hidden in the form of images and videos. It STILL relies mostly on the meta information provided in the form of 'description' or tags to figure out what the image is about. It might just take several years before the computer systems can crack that.

My only hope to see something really good coming out from Google is having a worthy competitor in the market. Right now, there's not anyone to gain if Google loses. I hope Microsoft works out wonders with the Bing! But that my wishful thinking.
  • Susan Diaz
    Susan Diaz
    Obviously, you can't create links instantly or you should not, Growing your personal brand is one of those slow-and-steady-wins-the-race techniques. may be I can include few techniques that are still indicating much more reputation towards the domain falling high range including below.
    • Guest Blog & Get Others To Do It, Too
    • Make Info-graphics
    • Get Active On Social
    • Ask For Links
    • Grow Your Personal Brand
    2015 marks a new era in link building. Even though earning links is far more labor intensive, it is still important. You simply cannot have a top-ranking site without generating top-quality links.

Susan Diaz | Digital Marketing Expert

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am a second year mechanical engineering student currently working on a project which involves designing a green house with PVC tubes. The green house will be tunnel shaped...
The Xiaomi brand has become immensely popular for introducing gadgets that offer pathbreaking specifications for incredibly low prices, making them a must-have for the masses. Be it in the smartphone...
i need a seminar topic
Hello EveryOne, My age is 33.I did my MCA in 2011 from IGNOU.My session was 2006- 2007(2 yrs)before that I did my BCA session 2003-2005. Because of some personal problems...
The Mobile World Congress (MWC 2015) event is going on in full swing and some of the biggest tech giants are making some of the biggest announcements of the year...