Wi-Vi Is X-Ray Vision Using Low Power Wi-Fi Signals

MIT's computer science & artificial intelligence engineers have developed X-Ray vision using low powered wi-fi signals. The research team has been attempting to build a device that can see through the walls. Thought the ability has already been achieved previously; the technique involves bulky radar technology that uses a part of the electromagnetic spectrum only available to the military. Dina Katabi, professor of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science at MIT and her student Fadel Adib have developed a system that will allow anyone to use this technology.

Katabi and Adib call the system 'Wi-Vi'. It uses low-cost wireless technology and is low power & is portable as well. It's based on a concept similar to RADAR or SONAR imaging. The device transmits a low-power wi-fi signal and then tracks its reflections to track moving objects. The technology works fine even if the moving objects are shielded by a wall.

x-ray-vision

The signal beamed at a wall penetrates through it and reflects from humans on the other side of the wall. However, only a tiny fraction of the transmitted signal makes it to the other side of the wall. The main challenge before Katabi and Fadel was to cancel out all the other reflections in order to keep the reflections only coming from moving human body.

To achieve this, the team used two transmitter antennas and a single receiver. The two antennas transmit identical signals but one antenna cancels out the signals from the other; through a nulling effect. The receiver is then able to capture only the reflections from moving objects behind the wall. The system analyses the received signal to calculate the the movement and location of the moving object or human.

The team believes that their innovation will be incredibly useful in disaster recovery, personal safety and even in gaming. The Wi-Vi will be presented at the Sigcomm conference in Hong Kong in August 2013.

Read more about Wi-Vi X-Ray vision on the source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• RajeshCDCA
    RajeshCDCA
    Wi Vi sounds an awesome technology.
    but now US will not only tap over conversation but also will see though out walls LOL

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google Inc., now not only the world's topmost search engine, but the only tech giant that can rival Apple and Microsoft, is now said to be developing an Android Gaming...
With the ever-increasing use of the Internet data traffic, thanks to growing number of internet powered devices - be it smartphone or tablets or laptops, we have reached a situation...
Startups in India note - IIM Ahmedabad's iAccelerator applications are open. The accelerator will select a maximum of 15 startup companies with most promising ideas, business plan and team for...
Hi sir I am a final year student and i wish to produce an useful product/ application for my project! I am interested on the topics: 1) Webcam Based Credit...
Booking a railway ticket in India can't get easier than this as the railway ministry launched IRCTC ticket booking with SMS. The facility will allow anyone to book railway ticket...