Wi-Fi Direct Vs. Bluetooth

It looks like the technology bloggers are creating a buzz about the WiFi Direct Technology and its potential to replace the Bluetooth Technology. With WiFi direct, file sharing and streaming is made a cakewalk. Let's discuss the advantages and disadvantages of WiFi Direct over Bluetooth. 😀

Replies

• lal
    lal
    To counter wi-fi direct, it bluetooth V4.0.
    Bluetooth V4.0 comes with higher range and bandwidth. The biggest advantage is that it is very light on the battery. It can run on a button cell battery for more than a year. The bandwidth is around 24Mbit/s. Apart from these advances, it is not backward compatible. that is older devices need new hardware for this new version.

Wi-fi direct on the other hand can be implemented in older devices with just a software upgrade. It gives a massive bandwidth of 250 Mb/s and a whooping range of 200 meters. But the only disadvantage seems to be the power it draws (around 100mW). But when considering the range and bandwidth, the little high power consumption seems to fade off.

wi-fi being included in many of the latest handhelds and portables, might become a standard soon and wipe off Bluetooth over time, just as Infrared was by bluetooth.
  • sowjitha
    sowjitha
    the main disadvantage of Wi-Fi is that it can be easily hacked by the hackers, the security methods now is WEP (Wired equivalent of privacy). The new VAN (Virtual Private Network) corrects everything that is wrong with WEP.
    the main advantage of Wi-Fi is that it is several times faster than bluetooth
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    WPA-2, I've heard is very difficult to break into. Don't know much about it though. Communications folks may shed more light 😀
  • sowjitha
    sowjitha
    The_Big_K
    WPA-2, I've heard is very difficult to break into. Don't know much about it though. Communications folks may shed more light 😀
    Yes,the more secure WPA-2 using Advanced Encryption standard was introduced in 2004 and is supported by most new Wi-fi devices. WPA-2 is more compatible with WPA
  • lal
    lal
    For a normal user, wifi is way too faster than bluetooth and wifi direct is backward compatible. And wifi offers a larger field. So the choice obviously is wifi direct. It might be a bit heavy on the battery, but that can be neglected. Most normal users, I think, are not concerned about security. But again, WPA-II makes it more secure.
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    Guys, Let me through some light on wireless security.
    WEP is a basic level of encryption and breaking it will take 5 minutes if the traffic on wireless device is high.
    However "WPA-2 is very secure" may not be correct way to frame it. WPA-2 has two modes of operation,
    1. Personal mode
    2. Enterprise mode

Most of us on day-to-day basis uses WPA2 in personal mode that is PSK mode and is not secure.Also Enterprise mode is also vulnerable if not configured with caution.If you have proper hardware you can break them.

Enterprise wpa2 is secure as compared to other was of securing wireless networks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Rahul: I see several unsecured networks in my area. Do you think WPA2 is 'easy' to crack? (Meaning, using tools and simple tricks?).
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    It is not difficult to break into the wpa2 system. However with the proper hardware and software tools in place. The best way to handle insecure network is to use encryption at upper layers such as https, SSH.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Does anyone have idea about Aircrack-ng? Aircrack-ng is an 802.11 WEP and WPA/WPA2-PSK key cracking program.

Aircrack-ng can recover the WEP key once enough encrypted packets have been captured with airodump-ng. This part of the aircrack-ng suite determines the WEP key using two fundamental methods. The first method is via the PTW approach (Pyshkin, Tews, Weinmann). The default cracking method is PTW. This is done in two phases. In the first phase, aircrack-ng only uses ARP packets. If the key is not found, then it uses all the packets in the capture. Please remember that not all packets can be used for the PTW method.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The 20th Question of the CE Grand Quiz Contest is as follows - [Worth 20 CE Coins] Who said this - "F V Z C Y V P V G...
I want 'Countdown Timer' code for my project, and my project is about 'Online Examination'. So please get me that code so that i can complete my project as soon...
Can anyone explain me,which logic gates follow and don't follow which of the laws like Commutative,Distributive,Associative etc. And how?
1) If z=x*y then z*x is? Options- 1)x 2)0 3)y 4)1 2) How many functions are possible with 'n' binary variables? 3) How many functions are possible with 2 Boolean...
There's a sudden rise of rumors about the announcement of next Playstation in 2012. Killzone, one of the most popular games on PS platform is said to be under development...