why we use capacitor in place of inductor in all electronics circuits..

why we use capacitor in place of inductor in electronics circuits..??

Replies

• lal
    lal
    Is it like that?
    May be because, dc cannot induce back emf since it is steady and so will not give the desired result.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    rohit bisht
    IS it?
    Can you give an example? Where capacitor in place of inductor?

Since both have its own usage.
  • rohit bisht
    rohit bisht
    ok..i mean at the output,,mostly..we use capacitor,.?why nt inductor?
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    we mostly use a capacitor at output so as to remove the dc components that may be included in the output. the dc component is undesirable as say for example in a ac component regulator the dc component can cause the distortion of the output wave and cause limitations in the maximum voltage swing possible.

correct me if i am wrong.
  • lal
    lal
    rohit bisht
    ok..i mean at the output, mostly..we use capacitor..?why nt inductor?
    A capcitor and inductor has its own special functions. An inductor can block AC component and pass DC. But the capacitor does the exact opposite that it passes AC and blocks DC.

So, they are used according to the necessity. We use capacitors at output to block the undesired DC component. An example is amplifier output.
    You might have seen inductor filters to block AC in a rectified output.

So it doesn't mean we use only capacitors in electronic circuits.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yeah , the question is confusing!
    We use both in electric circuits to get the desired output!
    As said above we use capacitor to remove the undesired DC components. More over in transmission systems we use capacitors at the end of the line to improve the power factor of the generated power!
    As the power is transmitted to long distances we get lot of losses including corona, and many more!
    SO to improve the output power and power factor we use capacitors.
  • Roderick
    Roderick
    A capacitor is made up of two metal surfaces that face each other but are insulated from one another. The big thing to understand about Capacitors and Inductors in DC Circuits is that they have a transient (temporary) response. During the transient period, capacitors build up charge and stop the flow of current (eventually acting like infinite resistors.) Inductors build up energy in the form of magnetic fields, and become more conductive. other words, in the steady-state (long term behavior), capacitors become open circuits and inductors become short circuits.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • rohit bisht
    rohit bisht
    cooltwins
    we mostly use a capacitor at output so as to remove the dc components that may be included in the output. the dc component is undesirable as say for example in a ac component regulator the dc component can cause the distortion of the output wave and cause limitations in the maximum voltage swing possible.

correct me if i am wrong.
    thanks ..i do agree wid you..
  • prat_22
    prat_22
    rohit bisht
    Now, the question you have asked, is meaningless without an example circuit. Since capacitors and inductors have their own responsibilities in a circuit, it is not possible to answer your question without a valid circuit diagram. Post a ckt., and then we can surely discuss the use of each elements in it.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Its based upon the output we had to obtain but capacitor is preferred where we need to get AC output and to eliminate distortions due to DC components.
  • invincible hunk
    invincible hunk
    rohit bisht
    its because when we need less time constant for the circuits, the capacitance value should be less and the inductance more... more inductance lead to bulky circuits..but capacitors are not bulky. so we use capacitors only.
  • senthamil_arasu
    senthamil_arasu
    we can use capacitor to block ac as well as dc.it blocks dc when it is connected in series with the line . and it grounds ac and allows when it is connected in shunt to the ground ..

think am right . correct if am wrong .. thnx
  • invincible hunk
    invincible hunk
    senthamil_arasu
    we can use capacitor to block ac as well as dc.it blocks dc when it is connected in series with the line . and it grounds ac and allows when it is connected in shunt to the ground ..

think am right . correct if am wrong .. thnx
    yes. you are right.. but the same properties can be performed by inductor also. so that's not the real reason why we don't use inductor(its because inductors are more bulky!!)
  • senthamil_arasu
    senthamil_arasu
    ya . thats rignt , and some other factors are power dissipation , and impedance matching ,, were it affects .

think so am correct , correct me if am wrong
  • niharikabhatt
    niharikabhatt
    At very high frequncies we can replace an inductor by a capacitor as the signal will be almost a dc,so we need not have an inductor to block the ac component.
    I am not sure though if as rohit says the two can be interchanged all the time.It may depend from circuit to circuit and our necessity.I mean,if they wre replceable why would we have two things-C and L. We wuld hav had one thing,isnt it?
  • Parual Datta
    Parual Datta
    rohit bisht
    Inductor is bulky,weighty,expensive and causes ohmic loss as compare to capacitor.Besides, inductor is noisy in nature.That's why we are using capacitor in place of inductor.
  • duraipandy.R
    duraipandy.R
    rohit bisht
    to limiting the current
  • Mr.whatever
    Mr.whatever
    Role of every electronic device is different according to its application.if its a inductor it can use to smooth the current,limit di/dt,energy storage element etc.capacitor also used to maintain dc link voltage constant,reduce dv/dt or as a energy storage. So without defining application or circuit diagram there is no any perfect answer for why its there.but only conclusion i can get from your question is in electronic we mostly deal with dc nd in dc inductor just act as a short circuit so may be cap is used to limit the current if there is availablity of discharge path for the capacitor.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Femtocell vendor community comes together at ETSI to verify the 3GPP femtocell standard and help drive widespread deployments London, UK – 30th March 2010 – The Femto Forum, the independent...
Hi! I am pursuing M.E (Electrical) and using MATLAB simulink in my thesis . I am using fuzzy logic controller in my model of Dynamic voltage restorer but i am...
After Google ceased its China operations, Chinese governement started blocking all politically sensitive search queries. It seems that China has taken one step ahead and probably has banned all the...
hello CEans, my wishes to all of you. i was planning to have my career diverted towards IBM Mainframe, so please can any one help me with the details regarding...
hello CEans. my wishes. some days ago i attended a workshop on ethical hacking conducted bu innobuzz solutions, i felt some interest of mine in that field, so was thinking...