Why There Are Two CTRL,SHIFT & ALT Keys On Keyboard ?

I'm curious to know why do we have 2 ctrl,shift and alt keys on our keyboard ?
Does each side keys have different functions?
Know that it is a very basic question but help needed.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Maybe, because there are right-handed & left-handed people ?
    I don't think there is anyother difference of function between Right-CTRL,ALT,SHIFT & Left-CTRL,ALT,SHIFT keys except 'Gaming'.
    BTW I have seen very few games with Right-CTRL,ALT,SHIFT keys assigned to any move in games though.
  • vishalj
    vishalj
    why god given u two hands two legs two eyes..................the same is with computer,got itπŸ˜πŸŽ‰
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    vishalj
    why god given u two hands two legs two eyes..................the same is with computer,got itπŸ˜πŸŽ‰
    Why not two backspace, two tabs & two esc then ?
    Now don't tell me because there is one nose that's why πŸ‘€
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    Why not two backspace, two tabs & two esc then ?
    Now don't tell me because there is one nose that's why πŸ‘€
    Just like you have one nose... so , likewise, one backspace.. 😏
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shailaja revathi

It actually helps typing! A lot of people type with their two index fingers and never learn to type well - they may not appreciate the presence of two keys. Here's how it works -

When you want to get a capital 'Q', you press the 'shift' key with the pinky of your right hand and press Q button with the ring finger of your left. The idea is to press the ALT, CTRL, SHIFT key with one hand and use the other hand to type the other keys.

They are there for a reason! πŸ˜€
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It actually helps typing! A lot of people type with their two index fingers and never learn to type well - they may not appreciate the presence of two keys. Here's how it works -

When you want to get a capital 'Q', you press the 'shift' key with the pinky of your right hand and press Q button with the ring finger of your left. The idea is to press the ALT, CTRL, SHIFT key with one hand and use the other hand to type the other keys.

They are there for a reason! πŸ˜€
    I use only Left shift to print Capital letters.. 😲
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sanyam Khurana
    I use only Left shift to print Capital letters.. 😲
    ...Because you never learned to type like a pro πŸ˜€
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah...that's the reason you have speed of more than 100 wpm and me with 60 wpm πŸ‘Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yeah...that's the reason you have speed of more than 100 wpm and me with 60 wpm πŸ‘Ž
    60 WPM is above average. πŸ‘

I average at about 80. Have given up on typing exercises since long time.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    shailaja revathi
    Abhishek Rawal
    Maybe, because there are right-handed & left-handed people ?
    One of the reason.

ctrl,shift and alt keys are used with combination of other letters like (Ctrl+P, Ctrl+c/v/x) and if anyone using office applications there lots of shortcuts are used to do task.
    Now if you observe to use SHIFT+5 , using two hands right shift + left hand 5 is better use without stretching one hand.
    similarly applies to Ctrl+T or some middle keyboard keys.
    I know lots of us aren't using both keys but using both sides are a lots faster.

Here is the question from me: Why keys on keyboard are scramble ? , find the answer and have fun.😘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Infact, you don't need other hand to type any capital alphabet.
    For eg : If you have to type capital 'Q' (or any alphabet on left-side of keyboard) then use left hand & left shift.
    For 'K' (or any alphabet on right-side of keyboard) use right hand & right Shift.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Infact, you don't need other hand to type any capital alphabet.
    For eg : If you have to type capital 'Q' (or any alphabet on left-side of keyboard) then use left hand & left shift.
    For 'K' (or any alphabet on right-side of keyboard) use right hand & right Shift.
    I think it's all about personal preference. I think it's easier to use a combo of left and right hand then having two fingers of the same hand type two keys at a time.

But still, that proves the need to have two ALT, SHIFT, CTRL keys.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think it's all about personal preference. I think it's easier to use a combo of left and right hand then having two fingers of the same hand type two keys at a time.
    Personal choice,I agree because I got this habit after playing World Of Warcraft which covers entire keyboard in gameplay with Keybindings. (Clickers don't have to deal with this)
    #-Link-Snipped-# might be knowing it πŸ˜€

Kaustubh Katdare
    But still, that proves the need to have two ALT, SHIFT, CTRL keys.
    Agreed.
  • Marvin Kalngan
    Marvin Kalngan
    I think your keyboard is obsolete, because in my keyboard I have 2 shift, 2 alt, but only one ctrl key . . .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    marvin cute
    I think your keyboard is obsolete, because in my keyboard I have 2 shift, 2 alt, but only one ctrl key . . .
    On Mac keyboards, there is only one control key.
  • Marvin Kalngan
    Marvin Kalngan
    but this is not a Mac keyboard
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    marvin cute
    but this is not a Mac keyboard
    Then you might be using 'wannabe-mac' keyboard ?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On Mac keyboards, there is only one control key.
    I understand and you also mentioned that two CTRL, SHIFT keys help in typing fast and are user friendly. Does that mean Mac keyboards are not very user friendly?

Any other reason you can see (other than proving themselves as different then world) they uses one set?

-CB
  • Marvin Kalngan
    Marvin Kalngan
    I am not using mac or wanna-be mac keyboard, what I am using is Across Technology keyboard.... Across Technology is written in front of my keyboard... I cannot read mac or wanna-be mac in my keyboard, I also checked the back of my key board , what was written there is Made in China.... there is no mac..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : That does not mean mac keyboards are less user friendly. They use different keys than the regular Windows keyboard.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : That does not mean mac keyboards are less user friendly. They use different keys than the regular Windows keyboard.
    I think general users and programmer don't use both Ctrl and shift keys but typist and office worker do use. They can beat any mouse ninja just using keyboard.

May be Apple have find out that most of Mac users are not using right command keys so they removed it.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Thank you everyone for clearing my doubt .
    And #-Link-Snipped-#

why keys on keyboard are scrambled ?
    Sorry but what do you mean by scrambling of keyboards ? I didn't get your question properly .
    Did you mean qwerty keyboards ?
    If yes , then they are designed in such a way to aid in typing fast , as the keys that are frequently used are placed aside each other such as
    >e r >a s>i o u>r t
    and they also help increasing keyboard life as some users having incredible typing speed may end up harming their keys .So it might be just to introduce a pause while typing .
    Just my opinion .πŸ˜€
    Please do Correct me if I'm wrong .
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If yes , then they are designed in such a way to aid in typing fast ,
    It's exactly opposite.
    In earlier days of typewriter keys are arranged in alphabetic manner that's why people learned the patten quickly and they type so fast that it keys get jammed.
    So they scrambled the key to slow down typing 😁 and it known fact that Humans are follower of sheep so it being continued.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Thanks for enlightening .This means that I was partly right .
    Refer my second view .
    they also help increasing keyboard life as some users having incredible typing speed may end up harming their keys .So it might be just to introduce a pause while typing .
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    shailaja revathi
    I think this facility is for lazy people like me πŸ˜‰ , for example:
    When my right hand is occupied holding my coffee cup β˜• , and I need to issue print command, I cannot press left ctrl key and p together with my left hand (seriously try it out 😲 ), and hence right ctrl key comes to the rescue 😁.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    There is a difference in some keyboards regarding functionalities of ALT keys.

the right Alt key can print subfix letters on certain keys. Its marked as ALT GR and the subfix maybe the β‚Ή symbol on 4 key along with $ which can be types using Shift

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It can be said without any doubt that the 2013 MacBook Air is an excellent notebook when it comes to performance and battery life, but the one thing missing from...
Researchers at Harvard University have created the first noninvasive brain-to-brain interface (BBI) which could allow a human to control an animal by thought alone. In this case, the Researchers used...
Apple and Samsung are competitor and *NOT so good business partners (they have proved that with the series of legal suite over each other). It is now past that, Apple's...
We all understand that technology is the utmost requirement in modern world. Let us analyse the domain knowledge vs technical knowledge - which helps more in career.
Here is some more information from ARM Google+ page so you have some idea about the Hangout. In the new ebook, 'Shared Purpose: A Thousand Business Ecosystems, a Worldwide Connected...