Why Starter is required in Tube-Light?

why are we not using starters for small bulbs while we use it for tube lights???im intersted in knowing basics of electrical engg....

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    A starter is actually a capacitor connected in parallel with a fluorescent lamp.To strike this lamp a sudden spark of current discharge is required in the tube. The starter supplies this initial spark. When a tube light is connected to the supply,the starter charges. On reaching the striking voltage,the starter discharges and a sudden current flows in the tube ionising the gas and giving it the glow. And after this starter current becomes nil.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    aarthivg
    A starter is actually a capacitor connected in parallel with a fluorescent lamp.To strike this lamp a sudden spark of current discharge is required in the tube. The starter supplies this initial spark. When a tube light is connected to the supply,the starter charges. On reaching the striking voltage,the starter discharges and a sudden current flows in the tube ionising the gas and giving it the glow. And after this starter current becomes nil.
    ... and for small bulb there is heating element used in bulb no need of such temporary high voltage to charge ions. so Starter is used only in Tube-Lights.
  • pknaveen17
    pknaveen17
    m.vivekanandan
    why are we not using starters for small bulbs while we use it for tube lights???im intersted in knowing basics of electrical engg....
    Actualy starter works with choke coil, to release photon from tube light it is required to ionised the tube gas and for starting stage it requires high voltage, now concept E= L*di/dt when rate of change of current is high then emf will be high, so starter works very fast and when the voltage reaches at required limit to start the tube then starter out from circuit of tube light electricaly.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, there are two kinds of lights. One is Incandescent Light Bulb lights, in which, light is emitted by a hot body, in this case, the filament in the bulb. The other is Fluorescent lights, in which the gas inside the bulb is excited to make it to Tube Light. In incandescent lamps, the filament is directly heated, which emits light. The normal electricity is enough to produce this effect. Hence, no starter is required for such lights. Fluorescent lights, on the other hand, require very high initial voltage across the bulb, to start the fluorescence. Once it is started, then the voltage can return to normal levels. That is why starters are required for such lights.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    its exact working of a chock with starter .here its circuit diagram...
  • iamrajat
    iamrajat
    As we know that, inside the fluoroscent lamp inert gas is filled and to glow this we have to provide very large voltage across the terminal. In the case of fluorescence we use starters which is basically a capacitor connected across the choke. Choke coil is an inductor, and across this voltage is define by V=Ldi/dt. So starter is used to provide a striking voltage which comes in the msec ( if 't' is very very less then 'di/dt' is much much high) by which choke coil gets very high voltage across it and the gas inside the lamp gets glow. Once it starts glowing there is no need of this high striking voltage.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can a 3rd yr student apply as if he is a final year and write GATE to gain experience????
what is the eligibilty for doing summer fellowship in iit-m for 3rs yrs????
my self ashwini........i loved to become an engineer.....nw i am ..........i wanna share ideas so i hv choosen crazy engineers.com
If you want to be treated like a celebrity at malls; all you need is just a few loyal friends and then watch how people go crazy for you. Here's...
does oscillator require feedback.If so what type of feedback? positive of negative?