why not use 6 phase or 12 phase in transmission line?

In transmission line we are using only 3-phase ,what is the reason for not use 6-phase or 12-phase in transmit the power?

Replies

• Hafeez ur Rehman
    Hafeez ur Rehman
    For 3 Phase system the phase angel between transmission line is 360/3=120 Degree. As the number of phase increases the phase difference will decrease and more number of times transposition is required. It affects the Installation cost of transmission of Transmission towers.
    And 3 is the minimum phase by which we can make multiple by requirement.
  • Jay Kosta
    Jay Kosta
    The electrical efficiency gain of using more phases is not enough to compensate for the additional cost of wires and towers to support them.

An interesting project would be to calculate how much copper wire (e.g. kg /kilometer} is needed to carry a certain amount of wattage for various phases - e.g. 2-phase, 3-phase, etc.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • SAYED SABEER
    SAYED SABEER
    Hafeez ur Rehman
    For 3 Phase system the phase angel between transmission line is 360/3=120 Degree. As the number of phase increases the phase difference will decrease and more number of times transposition is required. It affects the Installation cost of transmission of Transmission towers.
    And 3 is the minimum phase by which we can make multiple by requirement.
    yes. i agree but by using 12 or 6 phase maximum power is transmit without any boosting transformer
  • Jay Kosta
    Jay Kosta
    A transformer has nothing to do with it.
    With 3-phase, the resulting voltage is obtained by using ANY 2 of those wires because EACH wire is 120 degrees out of phase with the other 2 wires.
    If more than 3 phases are used, then the voltage across different wires would depend on which 2 wires were used. And that makes it VERY DIFFICULT (and expensive) to install the wiring needed to have the proper voltage and to 'balance the load' so that each wire is carrying the same power load.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The name is in the news again, for its attractive electronic products line up and this time for a back to back launch of new smartphones. We are talking about...
I'm looking to convert html into pdf in my php code and have been trying my hand at various classes and services available. What I need to do is convert...
Pinch zoom is a key feature of mobile browsing, which allow you to to zoom in to read content and out to locate content within a page. I am trying...
Dear sir/Madam, I need to know the exact Quality Policy in a Simple way as i searched over internet and found out some points. But need more simple guidance for...
There is a 1 year course called Graduate Marine Engineer offered by some Marine engineering colleges in India. Is it a good option or not?? Here is the link How...