Why India uses power supplies of 50HZ standard ?

Why we are using power supplies of 230 v and 50HZ standard. Whats the problem in having power supplies at some other frequency say ,70 ,90HZ....Why 50 Hz is fixed... Is there any effect if we use a power supply of different frequency..?????

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The real reason is because Indians, instead of developing their own standards, blatantly copy-pasted the British standards.

Technical 'explanations' may follow.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    50/60 HZ is an optimum frequency which keeps the transmission losses to tolerable limits. The higher will be the frequency, the more will be the losses.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It is an optimum frequency like Prototype said, you cannot use >60Hz.
    And 50Hz is not fixed, it's not universal frequency.
    United states & many Europe countries uses 60Hz frequency which is close optimum frequency to 50Hz.
    However, it has been noticed that lower frequencies causes the size, weight & hence the cost to increase. Also, more flickers are noticed in lesser frequencies than higher frequencies. Hence 60Hz is preferred over 50Hz in most developed countries.
    Both frequencies have drawbacks & Pros.
    Some countries switched to 50Hz just to fit the metric system.

PS: countries with 60Hz frequency dont use 220V/240V Power supply, infact 110V-120V supply is used.
  • naveee
    naveee
    The_Big_K
    The real reason is because Indians, instead of developing their own standards, blatantly copy-pasted the British standards.

Technical 'explanations' may follow.
    we indians use 240 volt for 50 hz...... if we use..60 hz we hav to apply 120 volt ....but the minmum voltage is 240 volt for many elctrical appliances so we use 50 hz......
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    Dheeraj Upadhyay
    Why we are using power supplies of 230 v and 50HZ standard. Whats the problem in having power supplies at some other frequency say ,70 ,90HZ....Why 50 Hz is fixed... Is there any effect if we use a power supply of different frequency..?????
    actually we cant use frequency below 50Hz. have u ever heard about lamp flickering??..listen..lower the frequency...means high time period to complete a cycle....means half time is required for half cycle...ih half cycle voltage reaches its peak one time and also get down to zero one time. if this time is more then u can see that the bulb is glowing and off by your eyes...if this time is less then u cant see this flickering by your eyes...that why frequency of 50Hz is adopted...50 Hz means 20ms to complete a full cycle...means 10ms for half cycle..ie., in 10ms bulb glows once and off once..so u cant see this flickering...so lower frequency is too unreliable...
    and in India +-5% of given frequency varies...
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    higher the frequency , higher will be the transmission line reactance, ans you know that maximum power transfer capability is inversly prportional to the line reactance. therefore due to high reactance , power transfer capability will reduce That's why higher frequencies are also not advised or adopted.
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    50Hz and 60Hz applicable but 90Hz lol. 60Hz used in USA transmission lines.
  • pushpa shanvitha
    pushpa shanvitha
    Why india having 50hz frequency less than America

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The other day i was surfing across the t.v and was fed up with the constant debate between politicans or local MLA's with the news hungry people,i don't understand how...
I had completed my engg in electrical and electronics....i want sme courses or training to enhance my knowledge and for job prospects also.... any guidance or advice will be appreciated...😔
Hi..Cean's Yesterday i bought a domain name from Godaddy and i do have a Hosting Package in Bigrock. Now how can i connect these two account. Please help me thanks......
hai...... this is madhuri😀 i wud like to do a project in 3g/4g communication.....or bluetooth/wifi.....on the whole communication based..... i would like to know the best project which u ppl...
A novel approach to storing available mechanical energy for later use has been developed. A piezo membrane drives Lithium ions from one to the other side. The higher concentration of...