Why HMV / Trucks use Diesel & not Petrol?

Why HMV/Trucks only use diesel? Why not Petrol?
Also, why is it more cheaper than Petrol, even though it gives more mileage?
How is CNG different from Petrol and Diesel?

Replies

• Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    because, unlike a commuter vehicle, a truck or HMV is for long distance transportation of goods. And in the long run ..Diesel,which is cheaper than pertol would give the owner an advantage over a similar petrol vehicle !
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    CNG occours above crude oil in oil fields and has quite a good calorific value. CNG is compressed natural gas . U should also get some confusion between a CNG and LPG in some cases. CNG is much safer as it would reach the skies incase of accident cuz its lighter than air. Whereas, in a LPG , you would possible be a sittin duck cuz its heavier than air and gives much probability of explosion.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    well, what i meant was why diesel is cheaper, and why it gives more mileage.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Actually diesel is not cheaper than petrol.It is because of subsidy given here in India.
    Diesel engines are used in HMVs because they have got more torque output.And diesel engines are low speed engines, they run at a much lower rpm than petrol engines.This helps in reducing wear of engine cylinders.Diesel engines are designed to run for months without stopping.Also diesel engines are much more relaible than petrol engines,it does not have spark plugs and ignition circuits, these electrical circuits are vulnerable in moist weather.
    In some countries where diesel price is much higher than that of petrol , heavy duty petrol engines are used in HMVs.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

you have said it.

diesel is preferred because of technical priorities. cost comes later.
  • mechky
    mechky
    In heavy vehicles, greater traction force is required. Torque of engine is the deciding factor for a vehicle's traction and diesel engines give better torque than petrol engines.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    white_hat
    Diesel engines are used in HMVs because they have got more torque output.And diesel engines are low speed engines, they run at a much lower rpm than petrol engines.This helps in reducing wear of engine cylinders.Diesel engines are designed to run for months without stopping.Also diesel engines are much more relaible than petrol engines,it does not have spark plugs and ignition circuits, these electrical circuits are vulnerable in moist weather.
    In some countries where diesel price is much higher than that of petrol , heavy duty petrol engines are used in HMVs.
    +1

One more reason is trucks uses two stroke engine to get more power-to-weight ratio. and two stroke engine are better suited for low grade fuel than 4 stroke engine.
    below picture of petroleum refinery you can see that Diesel is 2 grade below than petrol.

[​IMG]
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    how or why does diesel produce more torque?
    why do they have less tax on diesel, though all domestic vehicles are now using diesel? i dont think the speeds of diesel engines are less, as i see they do go in 100kmph+.

ianoop, i think the government has made it compulsory to all vehicles to be 4 stroke engines. i think only old vehicles are of 2 stroke.

no one said about mileage too
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Diesel engines have a higher torque because they have a high compression ratio.
    By speed we refer to engine rpm, not the on road speed.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    white_hat
    Diesel engines have a higher torque because they have a high compression ratio.
    By speed we refer to engine rpm, not the on road speed.
    But, how can an highly compressed fuel release more power/have high torque?
    Speed is proportional to rpm. So, what i said too stands. Right?
  • gopi gulivindala
    gopi gulivindala
    1.They burn less fuel than a petrol engine performing the same work
    2. Gasoline engines are typically 30 percent efficient while diesel engines can convert over 45 percent of the fuel energy into mechanical energy
  • gopi gulivindala
    gopi gulivindala
    3. The absence of coils, spark plug wires, etc.
    4.The life of a diesel engine is generally about twice as long as that of a petrol engineDiesel Engine Cite Note 26
    5. Diesel fuel has better lubrication properties than petrol as well.
    6.Diesel fuel is considered safer than petrol in many applications
  • Vaisakh Vijayakumar
    Vaisakh Vijayakumar
    One more reason....If we try to use petrol in bigger-sized engines, it might lead to too much of knocking (because of their pre-ignition).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Amdocs comes with a dream status in my college. The selection procedure is tough, of course! Its aptitude paper is a five section paper. Logical Reasoning is tested by- Syllogism,...
In campus, Accenture selection procedure consists of 2 Rounds. Round 1- Aptitude Test. Accenture's aptitude test consists of- Quants- Mathematical operators, Cubes, Data Sufficiency (to be more importance!) Verbal- Reading...
Leading electronics companies like Apple and Samsung have been shelling out ground-breaking gadgets one after the other and I feel overwhelmed. Every new phone that you buy looks Jurassic the...
hello everyone i am a technofreak .I love to have fun in every venture of my life . I consider coding as a passion through which different situations and imaginations...
In a recent blog post, Google revealed that they now have 180 fiberhood registration throughout Kansas City, so now 89% of the city will have ultra-high-speed Google Fiber. Why is...