Why does current carrying conductor produce magnetic field?

why does current carrying conductor produces magnetic field?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Because of flow of electric charge.
  • raviteja.s
    raviteja.s
    How?
    Troll_So_Hard
    Because of flow of electric charge.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    raviteja.s
    How?
    This flow of charge produces magnetic field B around the wire in shape of concentric circle. (consider a bar magnet & spill iron fillings on it .... the design you will see when iron fillings will be attracted to both poles will be concentric circles)

Now why this happens ... I dont know.
    Maybe, some questions don't have satisfactory answers.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ganesh p
    ganesh p
    current is a flow of electrons and electron is a tiny magnet.so whenever the electron is in its excited state it exhibits magnetic properety.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Electron is tiny magnet ?
    You sure mate ?
    Any element in universe consists of electrons .... As innumerable electrons persists in an small piece of element, it should have magnetic property because electron is tiny magnet as per you, right ?
    Then why dont all elements persists magnetic property ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    these relate to field theories. Electricity and magnetic fields are closely related to each other and any change in electric field results in changes in magnetic field too. Hence flow in current results in a change in magnetic feild.
    Ramani sir has provided with neat resources please refer them too
  • ganesh p
    ganesh p
    Troll_So_Hard
    You sure mate ?
    Any element in universe consists of electrons .... As innumerable electrons persists in an small piece of element, it should have magnetic property because electron is tiny magnet as per you, right ?
    all electrons will have that property,but the electron shoulb in motion to produce magnetic flux.
    all the materials can not retain the magnetic properties.the materials in which the electron spin on its own axis will ony store magnetism like ,iron metal.some conductors will not magnetise ,but whenever the current is flowing in the conductor magnetic flux will develop across the conductor.in metals like copper and silver the electrons in the orbits only revolve around the nucleus but not spin around their own axis.
  • ganesh p
    ganesh p
    who is remani air
    durga
    these relate to field theories. Electricity and magnetic fields are closely related to each other and any change in electric field results in changes in magnetic field too. Hence flow in current results in a change in magnetic feild.
    Ramani sir has provided with neat resources please refer them too
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    its because of Fleming left hand rule... a current carrying conductor produces a magnetic filed in perpendicular to an electric field.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Consider these fundamental concepts.
    1] A static electron produces only electric filed around it.
    2] A moving electron produces only magnetic filed.

So in case of electric current which i nothing but flow(movement) of electrons a magnetic flux is produced.
  • Henri
    Henri
    the magnetic effect of an electric current...the flow of electrons in one direction and current in the other produces the magnetic effect around the conductor....why i don't know
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Henri
    the magnetic effect of an electric current...the flow of electrons in one direction and current in the other produces the magnetic effect around the conductor....why i don't know
    #-Link-Snipped-#

check out.If you don't get ,ask.
  • vamsi kancharla
    vamsi kancharla
    raviteja.s
    due to flow of charged electrons in the conductor magnetic field is created it can be explained by AMPERE'S RIGHT HAND RULE
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What is the difference then between a charged and uncharged electron here #-Link-Snipped-#

The general idea is this I guess as #-Link-Snipped-# posted when an electron moves in a conductor it causes a distortion in the electric field associated with it which results in a significant magnetic field to be generated

And by the by the electron in a fixed point also has some magnetic field associated with it along with the electric field around it never forget that
  • vamsi kancharla
    vamsi kancharla
    A current carrying conductor, such as a metal wire, will produce a magnetic field around it because of the motion of charge within the wire itself. This motion produces or sets up a magnetic field around the wire in the form of concentric circles.

This electromagnetic effect is described in physics by the Biot-Savart Law, an experimentally deduced inverse-square law. The effect is also described by Ampère's Law, which is derived from the Biot-Savart Law. This law relates magnetic field and current.

Also, a magnetic field that is set up by an electrical current will produce a magnetic force. This force depends on the rate of charge transfer and the magnetic field.

The force produced by a current-carrying wire depends on the length, the magnetic field, and the current, which is the charge flow per unit of time.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What exactly is charge here is it not electrons?
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Troll_So_Hard
    You sure mate ?
    The thing is the magnetic moment of all atoms should have axis in same direction for net magnetic properties.May be this is the reason when current flows magnetic axis of all electrons get aligned in same direction.
  • Henri
    Henri
    that
    arunchary
    its because of Fleming left hand rule... a current carrying conductor produces a magnetic filed in perpendicular to an electric field.
    that is a rule to show the direction of the magnetic field...similar to maxwel's cork screw rule....it does not explain how and why the magnetic effect is produced
  • Henri
    Henri
    vamsi kancharla
    due to flow of charged electrons in the conductor magnetic field is created it can be explained by AMPERE'S RIGHT HAND RULE
    there is nothing amphere's right hand rule in physics,,,it is amphere's swimming rule which again shows on the deflection and does not explain the question
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The electrons move by distorting an electric field this distortion produces a magnetic field of significance
  • Payel Patel
    Payel Patel
    exactly
    what is d rison 4 magnetic effect
  • RAMYA .R sri
    RAMYA .R sri
    raviteja.s
    Moving point charges, such as electrons, produce complicated but well knownmagnetic fields that depend on the charge, velocity, and acceleration of the particles. Magnetic field lines form in concentric circles around a cylindrical current-carrying conductor, such as a length of wire.
  • my mobile
    my mobile

Magnetic dipole present in every metal,

But when we flow the current in it than all magnetic dipole will be allined, so it show magnetic properties. Cause of allining (all dipole in same direction) of these dipoles.

• abhijeet chandak
    abhijeet chandak

current carrying conductor, such as a metal wire, will producemagnetic field around it because of the motion of charge within the wire itself. ... Also, amagnetic field that is set up by an electrical current will producemagneticforce. This force depends on the rate of charge transfer and the magnetic field.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Even though I may not have sufficient knowledge to understand the space and astronomy, I am intrigued to ask several questions. Actually, What is the true shape of our universe?...
hello friends i want to give paper presentation on new innvoative topics of todays eee world(renewable or other topics) am good at presenting...so please suggest me or give me the...
I have done Mechanical Engineering working as design engineer(Modelling and Detailing) in service company.Now i planned to move towards SAP MM.Because the job what i am doing now is the...
hi members, can someone help me with my project work, with yhe topic; watertank maximum level alarm. please help me with the design and explaination on how to go about...
I just opened my gmail account twice. account opened with too small size contents ..that i could not even read contents...i needed to zoom...screen shot is uploaded...third time is was...