Why do you want to work in software / IT company? - How To Answer?

Why do you want to work in software / IT company? - How To Answer?

I think almost every engineer who's not from CS/IT background will be asked this question by recruiters from software companies. I'm an electrical engineer and when I was looking for job (about a decade ago) - they asked me the same question.

"Why do you want to work in software / IT company given your background in electrical engineering?", they asked.

I wasn't prepared for such type of question and had a hard time explaining the reasons I wanted to work in the IT industry. I thought of writing down a few instructions and tips so that it's easier for our fellow CEans to answer this and other similar questions.

The Mistake I Did: I was absolutely not sure what kind of job I wanted. At the back of my mind - I always wanted to start my own venture; but that's not you'd tell to your potential employer, right?

But there are several of you who are looking for a great job in an IT company and you should be ready to justify your choice.

It's very important to write down the top five expectations you have from your own professional career.

I'd strongly recommend you to find out the actual reasons you want a job in IT. Simply saying 'more money', 'ac offices' and 'on site' trips won't do (won't impress the interviewer).

Instead, find a connection that you can use to justify your answer. For example, I had answered something on these lines:-

"Sir, one of the best things I learned during engineering is that electrical engineers invented the computer and even the software. Electrical engineering, as you'd expect is one of the toughest branches in engineering because all you've to do is imagine.

You've to imagine and visualise how the current would flow, how the capacitor functions how electrons move and so on. I found that the world of computers isn't very different. It requires you to be creative and have strong imagination. I am sure that if electrical engineers can invent computers; I can do pretty well as a software engineer; if not invent something new".

Had I been a mechanical or a civil engineer, I'd have replied as follows:-

"Sir, my choice of mechanical/civil engineering was one of the best in my life. I've found out that computers have opened whole new avenues in the world of opportunities to civil/mechanical engineers. My plan is to be an awesome software engineer first, get few years of experience, build a skills-set and then find opportunities where I can use my knowledge and coordinate with other civil/mechanical engineers to do something innovative. I haven't figured it all yet; but I think I'm on the right path and your company would be the best one to learn new things and get some great industry experience".

As an interviewer, I'd be quite impressed by those answers. You've to find out some way to connect your present with your future as a software engineer. You're basically selling a dream and there's no reason for the interviewer not to buy it. Do let me know if you think these answers are useful. I'd also like to know how would you have answered the question? If there are any real life experiences you'd like to share - you're all welcome!

Updated Interview Answers:

Switch from Mechanical to IT / Software:

While studying Mechanical Engineering, I realized that the processes and systems we were learning about were being progressively influenced by software development and digital technologies. As I delved deeper, I found myself drawn to the world of software development and the enormous potential it offered. This fascination compelled me to learn coding on my own and participate in several coding challenges and hackathons, where I honed my programming skills.

One of the main reasons I want to switch to IT is because I believe it offers an exciting blend of problem-solving and creativity. In my view, the IT sector is driving the digital age we live in, and I want to be part of this dynamic industry where I can make a real impact. This industry is advancing at an incredible pace, and I am drawn to the constant learning and adaptability it necessitates.

Another reason is that I see a clear overlap between Mechanical Engineering and Software Development. Both require a strong analytical mindset and problem-solving ability. During my degree, I have cultivated these skills, and I believe they can be well applied to the IT industry.

Lastly, the mechanical engineering principles of design, test, and optimization are very similar to the software development life cycle. Thus, the skills and the mindset I developed while studying mechanical engineering can directly translate into a software development role.

In conclusion, the shift from Mechanical to IT is not a complete divergence, but rather a fusion of my analytical skills and creative interests. I'm confident that my strong engineering background, coupled with my passion for coding, makes me a unique candidate for this software development role.

Switch from Electrical to IT / Software:

Absolutely, as an Electrical Engineering student, I've realized the increasing interconnectedness between electrical systems and software applications. I found myself drawn to the problem-solving and innovative nature of the software field, leading me to teach myself coding and software design. I believe my background in Electrical Engineering, with its strong focus on logic, design, and system thinking, is a solid foundation for transitioning into IT. Software development offers the dynamic, evolving challenge I'm seeking, where my skills can contribute directly to technological advancement and innovation. It's an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of our digital future.

Switch from Civil to IT / Software:

During my Civil Engineering studies, I discovered a growing trend towards digitization and the use of software in design and project management. This sparked my interest in software development and I began self-learning coding. The problem-solving, critical thinking, and precision required in both civil engineering and software development are parallel. I view this transition to IT not as a departure from my engineering roots, but as an opportunity to contribute to the rapidly evolving tech industry, using my unique blend of skills. I'm excited by the prospect of leveraging my engineering background to offer unique solutions in the IT field.

Replies

• Gaurav@cs
    Gaurav@cs
    Sir,
    Wat u would have replied if u hv taken CS branch?
    Ur reply will be really very helpful
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I actually said I wanted to be an entrepreneur in my software co interview. I got the job finally, coz the person on the other end was (saint) someone with similar ideas, I guess.

I said I knew I was good at programming and logic, and wanted to use that to build Mechanical CAD. This was all the company was about - Software solutions for Mechanical Engineering problems.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    I was also not ready for this questions and I answered as per the logic stroked to my mind.
    Fortunately, the person who was interviewing me, was the one who gave Pre-placement talk. In his talk, he said, "It is not like our company is having only banking clients and similar to that, who only want coding knowledge and programming, we also have various clients who deal with motor and electrical part and so and so, which requires the talent and knowledge of core engineering as well". (Pardon, I can not recollect the exact HR words)

This statement was used as a weapon by me ( 😁 ) and I answered the question quoting his statement only, saying, Sir, as you told in pre-placement talk, your company (Say company name here, and not your company) also serves client having core-domain apart from others. Suppose, there is a real time machine or application for which the program has to be written, and client wants, there must be some real time input or output based on machine logic, our knowledge will have a helping tool for both of us (The client and the Organization), as client will have to spend comparatively lesser time to make the understand the requirement as I am comparatively familiar with those process which client uses, and in turn I can develop a user-acceptable program. He then nodded to my answer and moved on! Well, this was my explanation, I don't know whether It was correct or not.

From this question, I learnt two things on that interview day:
    1. Pay attention to the pre-placement talk of the HR.
    2. For Non CS-IT branch students, please Google, what core client, the company is serving and if possible how? Can you fit yourself into this process with your knowledge? If yes, then good. If not, you have to, No other choice!

Good Luck!
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Gaurav@cs
    Sir,
    Wat u would have replied if u hv taken CS branch?
    Ur reply will be really very helpful
    This question becomes logical for core-engineering branch students. If HR has listened which branch you belong, logically, this question should not be framed, as you people don't have other chances (I mean, you can not be recruited to work on boiler and operations), correct?

In worst cases, if this question is framed, you can answer considering below parameters. Explain each of them how you are getting benefited.
    1. Work environment
    2. Job satisfaction
    3. Space to explore your knowledge
    4. Space to increase competency
    6. Company ethics
    7. Chance to work with a company who follows best process
    8. Ensures security
    9. Good client repo
    10. The brand
    11. Best platform for your talent for global exposure
    and so on.

You say, you company has this and that (As mentioned in 11 points and many others if something comes in your mind). For a company like this where someone has to start a career, who will not be ready to work with this. (I guess, If the recruiter is a strong supporter of company, he will kiss your forehead, saying you are the guy I was looking for! Kidding 😀 )
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shashank Moghe
    I actually said I wanted to be an entrepreneur in my software co interview. I got the job finally, coz the person on the other end was (saint) someone with similar ideas, I guess.

I said I knew I was good at programming and logic, and wanted to use that to build Mechanical CAD. This was all the company was about - Software solutions for Mechanical Engineering problems.
    Well, that happens to be true. After one spends a few years in the industry and discovers that if they worked for themselves doing similar work as in their current jobs; they'd be making a LOT more 😁 . The thing is 'entrepreneurship' and 'startups' are the new cool in India. I think being very clear about your ultimate goals is the key.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

As I am a computer science engineer, I think I would answer it like this -

I would tell them why I chose the CS branch in the first place. I would list the subjects that interest me, for eg. web development could be an area that you might discuss at length with the interviewer. 

You can tell them how you have always liked to tinker around with webpages, websites or any other programming language. If it's a big MNC you are interviewing for, you could also tell them about being enthusiastic about working on a large scale IT project. 

As someone said above, it's important to be truthful. Don't just stare at them blankly and say I am here for earning money. Employers generally look for the spark in your answers. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Kaustubh, I am a fresher and working as an QA analyst in a gaming product company from 2 months. I just wanted to know what all career options are...
Getting bored and monotonous when you build each robot in your dorm right from scratch? Here we are to make that much more easy. Kurukshetra 2015 presents a workshop on...
asokfair submitted a new project: Wireless LED Control - Control your LED/Motor using Android Mobile This is a simple project using TI MSP430 launchpad.In this project the led is going...
Most smartphones today struggle with short battery life issue. With an increase in the use of smartphones, charging them every day or multiple times a day is a necessity. Researchers...
The memory maker, Strontium has announced an exclusive external storage for the iOS powered iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+. Called 'iDrive 3.0', this is the first product exclusively for iPhone...