Why are engineers in IT getting frustrated so quickly and resigning jobs?

In the last 2 months, I heard at least 3-4 cases of my friends and family members, who are engineers leaving their IT jobs after getting frustrated or having hit a ceiling of hopelessness. Most of these are between the age of 23-28. At that young age, our fathers and grandfathers used to work for long hours at their respective offices without the slightest hint of frustration or dissatisfaction.

My analysis says that, back then, these people were the sole bread earners in the family and therefore they started loving their job from day 1 because it gave them bread and butter and helped them dream about a secure future, where their kids could go to a good school and in due time they could buy their own house and a vehicle. That is pretty much what most middle-class people around here would agree with. That's what everyone's parents did - Earn and Spend on a living.

Now-a-days, the aspiration to be 'successful' whatever that means, really quickly is getting more common than you would think. Is that the reason that more and more engineers get bored/tired/frustrated at their IT jobs and take the 'huge' decision to resign? What's your take?

Replies

• Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    But what will the costs of resigning of the jobs? Did they find job in any other field or sector?

I believe there will be a point where people get saturated of doing jobs. People form many departments do IT jobs for the sake of job but not at the sake of interest, because getting their core department jobs is very hard for few sectors. Even in IT field some get support, some development some testing etc. Once you go in the field of what you like you will never want to come out and once you come out you will not feel to go back.
    But if we force ourselves to go without any choice then at point people reach the point they cant work any more. People at the age of 38 etc who have 13 years experience of the IT field try to shift to other departments of Management to reduce the work load and stress. Its not they do not have any stress and work load, they do have but its not at constant.
    IT field is demanding but even our personal choices also matter along with social pressure and saving face value of ourselves and our family.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Oddly enough, most people I know who resigned in recent times simply did so to stay at home for 8-10 months. Some want to prepare for higher studies, while some just want to take a break. A very tiny percentage is of people who want to start something on their own.

All these people are between the age of 23-28.

Some people resigning the jobs are frustrated by the nature of their work and will go on ranting about how people outside the IT world think it's all cool inside the walls of the MNCs, but only people inside know how difficult every day is at the office.
  • Prajakta Kelapure
    Prajakta Kelapure
    We, today's generation live for comparison. Comparison means what all friends or companies are giving and what they doesn't get from there companies. We see all is our friends luxuries, there firms offer them. We never look into the work he has put into. We want to earn money at the cost of nothing.
    Also we lack patience which our parents used to have. Our attitude is so careless and stubborn towards work. Once at work very few people want to learn something new. Even we does not want to hear a word or complaint about our work.
    Secondly we does not have the realisation that we should support our parents.At that age we just want to enjoy ... party etc.
    So without much thinking, people quit job.
  • Sanam Khan
    Sanam Khan
    I think that if one can be able to handle pressure and utilize it for a self benefit then it would be easy for them to stay at their jobs. Today we get so easily frustrated with our jobs because we hardly have any time for our personal life but that’s how it keeps going if you need to earn then you need to make sacrifices unless you are quite wealthy.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Or, may be those guys don't have financial problem and know that they can make better career, better education after quitting a lousy job.
    But most of us stick to job, until able to the career we ever wanted, because we need money to keep things rolling.
  • Aditya Singhal
    Aditya Singhal
    People chose IT jobs bcoz u can easily get into these companies rather than in the core companies.
    when u join a company initially it is good (facilities, culture, infrastructure) ,then the company puts u on bench and this bench period is very frustrating.
    Also,There is a monotonous kind of work u do all day, the work is not exciting.
    and if u didn't make any effort to come out of this in the beginning ,then u r stuck with it.
  • avii
    avii
    OP -
    In the last 2 months, I heard at least 3-4 cases of my friends and family members
    Title -
    Why are engineers in IT getting frustrated so quickly and resigning jobs?
    much generalisation, such wow.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's the answer to 'WHY' (It's in Hindi and my apologies to those who don't understand the language)

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's the answer to 'WHY' (It's in Hindi and my apologies to those who don't understand the language)

I was about to share this video here 😀 .
    This video truly depicts the situation of a common IT guy in India.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here is one more.. Almost all office person have this exiting life
    English subtitle included 😘
  • Vipin Thomas
    Vipin Thomas
    In my opinion. 60-70% work that happens in service industry is boring. Also not all big shot companies have R&D centers here. Unfortunately with the current pace generation has become less patient. Everyone wants to work on latest cutting edge core technology. Well, good luck with that. There is a thin line between being passionate or rash.

Also some do change for better remuneration. This is cyclic. People staying more than 5-7 yrs are bound to get paid average salaries unless they are very exceptional. Normalization is what the companies do.

Impatience coupled with peer pressure and ever changing HR policies crack them, so they switch or quit.

I would also say this is not bad thing to do. We should do whatever it takes to be at the place what we dream about. IT industry is very dicey. We still have huge dependency on US and UK market. Few political decisions/events can alter the future of millions.
  • Ankit Litoriya
    Ankit Litoriya
    Even I am too the same case I hav resigned from my job 3 mnths before coz f al the boring stuff, no innovativeness , lack f oppurtunities , diplomatic manager .. n less work life balance .. my opinion is .. if there were good work life balance related to leaves jus like govt policies or transparency than am sure this % will sure reduce
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    I was reading through all the posts and views of each and every one.. One thing is common in most of them and needs to be considered is the interest factor.. I'm in the same age group I have been observing this trend.. What I observed was after some time of their tenure they find the job as routine and get bored of it.. They feel that they are not learning anything new and wasting their time.. They lose interest very soon...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I could not agree more with #-Link-Snipped-# That's quite exactly the scenario we are looking at when we peek into the IT companies.

#-Link-Snipped-# Curious to know what you are planning to do after leaving the job (only if it's ok to disclose here).

#-Link-Snipped-# I have a very small social group. If there are 4 people in my immediate circle resigning, there are 20 each to those 4 who are doing the same.

You can gauge from the number of people agreeing here that engineers (who happen to constitute a major share of the IT employee base), are indeed getting frustrated and resigning jobs quicker than ever before.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    I think those who have seen the writing on the wall is reacting. However, I think the title is a bit generalized.

In my opinion, it is all depends upon the organization in general and the manager one work under in particular. The age old saying is true - “People Don't Leave Companies -- They Leave Managers". There are cases where poorly performing teams changed dramatically to produce better results when they get a good manager. In other cases excellent teams simply crumble under a bad one.
    Usually what I have seen is the latter case. The classic example of “Shit rolls downhill"

I think people don't just leave because of a moment's frustration. The will take a lot of time and planning to come in that decision. Throughout, if observant, one can see that brewing through a lot of signals given out by the person. Body language, gestures, change in ways of speak, interaction with the team etc.

A smart manager can identify these symptoms and even win them back. But that occur only in very very rare cases.

This is not the case in IT field alone.

My two cents 😀
  • Raghu K
    Raghu K
    I have gone through each of post reply and found informative.
    From past 4 years I have been in single company and I faced lots of ups and downs in these 4 years and some times taught of leaving job itself.

In IT industry you need to be very careful in your task.a single mistake in given task is going to cost more than what you excepted.where you need to give a root cause for each of your mistake.sometimes you will be blamed in front of all the people in a team.which makes life more miserable and depressed.Lastly not having balanced life.
  • DADISETTY GOVIND
    DADISETTY GOVIND
    guys dont think wrong,time is valuable na,who can read all these posts man,moderators please can u introduce the ratings to answers of specified posts and indicate a sign for majority accepting idea

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One does not realize the amount of engineering design that goes into many things taken for granted. May be a can of beer (or tomato juice for teetotallers) can be...
Stunnhttps://www.microscopy-analysis.com/editorials/editorial-listings/jeol-reveals-best-em-imagesing beauty at microscopic level:
An European company F-secure has launched a new app called as 'Freedome' for Android and iOS platforms that lets users browse Internet securely and anonymously. (We believe the extra 'e'...
The University of Bradford researchers have come up with a simple blood test that uses ultraviolet waves to diagnose people for cancer. It will be very helpful in detecting all...
hello everyone, my question is:- how to deal with the academic gap of more than 1 year during interview. what to answer when interviewer ask me about what you did...