Which university in Canada?

Hi! I'm a student who's going to university, computer engineering next year. Unfortunately I'm a bit undecided where to attend university. I live in Montreal, with my family since my sister is at a univeristy there. I'm hesitating between staying in MTL or going to university elsewhere in Canada. I thought the best way to actually know which uni to attend is to ask some actual engineers. this is the list of the universities: Polytechnique, McGill, University of Toronto, University of Waterloo.
and here is a list of pros and cons of what I have gathered until now:

Polytechnique: (mother tongue is french) Although french, it is still one of the best uni in Canada. Possibility to do internships anywhere in the world (and 4 internships are mandatory). Great mix between theoretical and practical. Awesome societies. Furthermore, since it's in montreal I won't have to relocate. Nevertheless, I am still a bit worried since it is after all a french university, so I think thaat some companies might not recognize it.

McGill: I'm a bit undecided for this one for multiple reasons. First of all, I know that MG is not known for its engineering departement as much as medical or law. Hence I'm afraid that I won't get the same level of education than if I go elsewhere. Furthermore, McGill has the least practical and is mostly only theoretical. Pro: breathtaking campus and again in MTL.

UofT: Recognized as the best engineering uni in Canada. In the largest Canadian city. Need I say more? Unfortunately, especialy for the first year of engineering, classes are HUGE, too big (read in some cases up to 600 students in a class) and since it's not in Quebec, the tuition is around 13000$ and not the 4000-6000$ I'll pay in Quebec. On a positive note, the residence are beautiful.

UofW: Probably my top choice. Although everyone says that the campus is ugly, it's not very important. LOVE the co-op program available where students ear between 37000 and 77000$ a year so this will help me pay my tuition. I feel that I can find the best mix there. The professors are great, it's internationally recognized. Tuition fees are about 13000$ again. But a huge advantage is that waterloo graduate always find jobs very fast and many go to MIT or Stanford for phd or other diplomas.

For both unis not in MTL, I'll visit my family when possible so it's not a problem. But the big downside is that with the residence, food, tuition fees, etc... I should expect to spend around 24000-26000$ per year. I really want to go to waterloo but my parents are against the idea of me leaving for my undergraduate.
I really set my eyes on Waterloo. is poly a compromise or am I to expect an almost equal level of teaching as waterloo?

Thank you very much!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Over to you!
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    Wow. That's some research I must say #-Link-Snipped-#. You have clearly set your mind on Waterloo, anything below that will be a straight compromise for you on a personal note.
    Some questions:
    Have you applied to these universities?
    What program you need to apply for ?
    Are you sure you will get an admit from UofW ?
    Each university differs from program to program level you need to get clear on that first - which program is best in which university.. You can get connected to profs via email, or MentorBuddy can help you get in touch with students from these universities.
  • Michel-Georges Najarian
    Michel-Georges Najarian
    abhijeetkhan
    Wow. That's some research I must say #-Link-Snipped-#. You have clearly set your mind on Waterloo, anything below that will be a straight compromise for you on a personal note.
    Some questions:
    Have you applied to these universities?
    What program you need to apply for ?
    Are you sure you will get an admit from UofW ?
    Each university differs from program to program level you need to get clear on that first - which program is best in which university.. You can get connected to profs via email, or MentorBuddy can help you get in touch with students from these universities.
    @abheejeetkhan Thanks for replying! Waterloo is know as the canadian MIT for computer engineering (or so I heard 😛) and I know that I can get in, even with a grand of 2000$ with my current grades. As for applying, in Canada we start the applications in mid february so i still have time! Personally I would love tobdo something like a double or even a triple major with computer electrical and if possible mechanical, and I think that it's possible in waterloo. But what really sold me qas the coop program. Ibalways told my parents that I wanted to travel as much as possible when working and thanks to the coop program I'll be able to work in 6 different countries since there are 6 sessions of 4 months work
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    Michel-Georges Najarian
    @abheejeetkhan Thanks for replying! Waterloo is know as the canadian MIT for computer engineering (or so I heard 😛) and I know that I can get in, even with a grand of 2000$ with my current grades. As for applying, in Canada we start the applications in mid february so i still have time! Personally I would love tobdo something like a double or even a triple major with computer electrical and if possible mechanical, and I think that it's possible in waterloo. But what really sold me qas the coop program. Ibalways told my parents that I wanted to travel as much as possible when working and thanks to the coop program I'll be able to work in 6 different countries since there are 6 sessions of 4 months work
    How would you like me to help you ?
    Michel-Georges Najarian
    abhijeetkhan
    How would you like me to help you ?
    Did I do a good choice? What would you do if you were in my shoes?
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    Michel-Georges Najarian
    Did I do a good choice? What would you do if you were in my shoes?
    Well, it's a very personal choice. Your goals, aspirations, reasons for choosing a university are very specific to what you want to make out of it. I personally feel Poly would be a good choice given the conditions, but would highly recommend to have an interaction with someone who's from there to give you a clear picture of things.
    Michel-Georges Najarian
    abhijeetkhan
    Well, it's a very personal choice. Your goals, aspirations, reasons for choosing a university are very specific to what you want to make out of it. I personally feel Poly would be a good choice given the conditions, but would highly recommend to have an interaction with someone who's from there to give you a clear picture of things.
    Thank you very much!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Had a few minutes to play around with the logo. Used some of my unused graphical skills and a few free images to create something for Diwali. How is it?...
I use a few of these on the desktop. Good. Quote: We spend so much time on our phones – why not use it for something more productive? This week...
Indian eCommerce giant, Flipkart has announced 'Flipkart Lite' - the mobile friendly version of its website. The move is quite interesting because it not only puts and end to the...
We are having 3 nos of KSB Made CHTR 3/10 Boiler Feed pump having 10 stages, head1510 meter, 112m3/hr flow. Recently one of the pumps was leaking from its mechanical...
recently i got placed in tcs but in my class X examination i didnt gt the pass marks in my additional elective subject...is this causes any problem at joining time?