Where do you store all your photos?

I've huge collection of photos clicked at various events, trips, family get-togethers, corporate events et al. The collection's already several hundred GBs big and right now I'm storing them on my primary computer and a 1GB USB HDD that I bought only to store all these photos. The problem with it is that I'm not sure how reliable is this HDD and my computer. Plus, I can't always access my HDD and computer if I need to show the photos to guests at home.

The obvious answer is to store all the photos in the cloud, and I wish to get recommendations from all of you about a 'proper' place to store all the photos and videos. I'm all game for paid services as well. I've explored few of the options like Flickr, 500px and read mixed reviews about each of these services. I'm not sure if any of these let you store videos as well.

Each click is at least a few MBs and I do not want to store cropped or photos with resolution lowered. Would love to have your recommendations.

Requirements:-
  • Allow me to store full resolution photos
  • At least 500 GB of space
  • Video storing facility will be a HUGE plus
  • Should allow access easily - via app or web
  • Should let me arrange photos, group them, tag them and if possible, also identify the faces.
  • Should let me run a slide-show
  • Can be a paid service

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think this one is fairly common requirement. You ought to have a mechanism to store ever growing photo collection, right? And your computer isn't very reliable!
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    i think Picasa is good ,because they provide all of it except video,they also have a app for pc and phone for syncing and there interface is also good (not tried the web version),you need to pay for storage after 15gb.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aslijatinasija
    i think Picasa is good ,because they provide all of it except video,they also have a app for pc and phone for syncing and there interface is also good (not tried the web version),you need to pay for storage after 15gb.
    Well, Flickr gives you 1000 GB of storage free of cost. So I ruled out Picasa. I'm wondering if anyone's got an experience with 500px. I think they restrict uploads to 25/day. If the service is better I think I can always pick up the 'best' photos to store and delete the rest.
  • lal
    lal
    Biggie, would you post a quick comment on the 'plus' and 'minus' of various services you've explored? That should prove helpful to many others too I assume.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lal
    Biggie, would you post a quick comment on the 'plus' and 'minus' of various services you've explored? That should prove helpful to many others too I assume.
    I thought of doing that, but figured out that most of the people are storing their photos on Facebook. Plus, Facebook lowers the resolution of the photos uploaded on their servers for obvious reasons. Others use Instagram - which I'm not fond of and doesn't suit my needs.

I didn't 'compare' various services but only did a general reading about what people are saying. It turns out that Flickr, 500px, SmugMug are the top services that most of the people are using. These are the services that let me do most of what I require. I'm still to decide between them but I'm leaning towards 500 px. Gotta check their total upload limits.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Online: Flickr is best for storing your photos. 1TB data.

Cons: In guest pass mode you can't download photos.
    Super Cons: Not sure when Yahoo will scrap it. Certainly not in 3-4 years.

Pros: Everything is awesome.
    • You can download photos in number of resolutions.
    • Upload in full resolution, Till now I have uploaded 80Mp image.
    • No compression, 100% quality
    • Guest pass and disable the link whenever you want.
    • You can easily manage the albums and privacy.
    You can batch upload directly from desktop app (windows only): Flickr Uploadr - Download

In 500px, you have only 20 pictures per week upload. One of the best for building portfolio.
    Facebook is worst. Lowest quality, Poor album management, sometimes upload doesn't work. It's just to share the moment with friends. Not to store or build a portfolio.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    In 500px, you have only 20 pictures per week upload. One of the best for building portfolio.
    I think that's not as bad as it looks. It motivates you to upload only the best of the photos. Otherwise we end up storing all the photos we'd never want to see.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think that's not as bad as it looks. It motivates you to upload only the best of the photos. Otherwise we end up storing all the photos we'd never want to see.
    Agree. This limitation is more about quality picture.
    But I mostly use flickr to store and share my trip photos and it is mostly more than 100 pictures. I can't wait 5 weeks to share my trip photos to family and friends.
    That's why I think 500px is more about online portfolio rather than storage.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    No size limit, upload raw images, 1080p videos.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi frnds, often we using this word etc, In Dictionary : Etc full form Etcetera Et is and. cetera is rest of the things. do you know what that word...
A team of researchers from Western Washington University and Chris Reddy of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution have come together to create renewable fuels that could replace the petroleum. With the...
The genius minds of National University of Singapore have developed a revolutionary way of powering up the new generation of wearables. The researchers led by Electrical and computer engineering professor...
What are front end and back end tools??? Why are the design tools divided like this? Could you please help me with this
In VLSI design, there is a design phase called RTL(Register Transfer Level) design. Why are we going for register level designs in VLSI, where the circuitry contains only transistors???