WhatsApp Incoming Calls Aren't Free!

I'm a member of group formed by my school friends and those who aren't from the IT (technical)0 background seem to be totally excited about the 'free' whatsapp calls. There's a general belief that whatsapp calls are all free. No one seems to be bothered about the calls eating into your expensive data packs. I informed them that you will be paying for the incoming calls; and they were 'surprised'!

When you receive a call on whatsapp, the voice transfer happens over the 3G connection (provided you are not connected to the wi-fi). Now when the voice packets are exchanged, you pay for the incoming call! A few months from now, when whatsapp or internet calls totally replace our regular calls, I fear I will end up paying for all those stupid telemarketing calls.

What do you say?

Replies

• Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Online calls to everyone on 3g connection is like receiving the roaming calls, both side need to pay for same, And you are right non-technical people really not bothered about it, but on the other side it is a better option if one have unlimited broadband connection.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most of us get fascinated by the birds’ chirping or appearance. However, we often don’t have any idea about their name or what kind of species do they belong to....
Kaustubh sir , My name is Srinivas and I belong to a middle class family. I am an graduate in ECE (2010-2014) , gave my 1 year of my preparation...
LEDs are meant to last for a long time, but if not properly heat shielded, they tend to lose their brightness and color. Jake Dyson of 'Jake Dyson Light' says...
Hello sir, I'm. Shabih Abbas Khan I've just joint an angeneering college for b.tech in computer science,sir I have some idea of CPP programming which I learnt in intermediate and...
How to find the job in India after b.e​