A Counter To Keep Count Of New Things Since Your Last Visit

Unless you're sleepy today, you must have noticed a little counter next to the 'What's New?' link in the sub-menu. The count will show the number of new things posted on CrazyEngineers since your last visit. It's a great way to keep a check on your backlog ( 😏 ). As you keep checking all the updated discussions and new threads, the count will keep decreasing (unless of course, some new content is posted in in the mean time).

If you wish to reset the counter to Zero, just hit the 'Mark Forums Read' link in the sub-menu and the counter will be reset to Zero.

We've quick-tested the styling of the counter on latest versions of Chrome, Firefox & Safari on Mac, Chrome + FF on Windows 7.

It'd be nice if you could tell us if the counter looks proper on other browsers / OS combinations. We hope you will like the counter. Looking forward to your feedback in this thread.

Update : The count is the number of unread posts or the new posts made since your previous visit.

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Noticed, and checked this before the announcement 😁
    looks cool, and appropriate.

😁

-CB
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Good Job 👍

[​IMG]
    The counter looks proper in :
    Mozilla Firefox 21.0 : Mageia 3.0
    Mozilla Firefox 21.0 : Fedora 18

Edit : Nice "Search Widget" tweak 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    New count looks good..

Bug: In Chrome 27, there is overlapping of search button container over profile pic and name in all resolutions😐
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Good in Firefox XP

Nice feature a hefty backlog to look into it seems
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    BUG in Firefox and XP combo to there is a overlap of search and Profile name
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Conqueror
    BUG in Firefox and XP combo to there is a overlap of search and Profile name
    ianoop
    Bug: In Chrome 27, there is overlapping of search button container over profile pic and name in all resolutions😐
    Confirmed.Overlapping is noted between search widget & avatar.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    It is there oly when I open a thread in announcement section not in other sections Like ECE
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ianoop
    New count looks good..

Strange. It's only in 'this' thread. I couldn't see it in other threads or forums on the site.

Does that hold true for everyone?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Confirmed.Overlapping is noted between search widget & avatar.
    Please confirm if the overlapping happens only in THIS thread and not on any other sections of the site.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah I can assure you that Big guy
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Please confirm if the overlapping happens only in THIS thread and not on any other sections of the site.
    Yes its right.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In this thread : [​IMG]

In Other Threads : [​IMG]

PS: Where the hell is "Upload" option ? 😡
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Announcement section is very much restricted to the Admin use only.

But the bug looks very strange. I'm not able to figure out what's really causing the buttons to appear ONLY in this thread. Maybe it's got something with the title of the thread which was Whats New? [Count].
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I figured this out. If the thread title has [count] - then the search box breaks.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    This is good feature. Looks perfect in Crome. Let me check some more threads.

👍 Biggie 👍
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    I realized how relieved I am (its because subconsciously I am paranoid that I have certainly left something important on CE!)
  • lal
    lal
    Working perfect on Opera: Win7 and Symbian
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The feature should be back shortly.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: We found out that there's a noticeable difference in the page loading speed with the counter on. Investigation is on and we hope the feature gets back online soon.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Counter is back, and working fine!
    Cool Buddy !

-CB
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    After seeing what's new counter for few days,
    Honestly saying I didn't find any usefulness of this. It is showing me counter of whole CE new post since my last session. CE forums are updating almost every second from all sections and discussions form which I may not interested in all sections.

I always land on what's new section first, without seeing counter.
    If counter given I would like see the counter of new post from subscribed sections like, If I have subscribed for #-Link-Snipped-#' , Debate Mastermind etc.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    First click on "Mark the forum read" It would set the counter to zero.
    Now on-wards, whenever you will come to CE, there would not be more than few 100 posts (If you visit the CE at least once a day)

That helps me at-least.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We don't have forum subscriptions as of now. But we are indeed planning to introduce something that will let CEans subscribe to sections / topics of their interest. In the mean time, you may 'watch' specific threads of your interest by clicking on 'Watch Thread' option available with each thread.

We're still trying to fathom the overall impact of this modification on the site's speed.

Going forward, we may or may not carry on the what's new count. Things are still under investigation.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I do watch some specific threads😀.
    I think counter is loading along with page load. I suggest to load this counter after page is loaded, It will not affect on performance. and little animation always looks good😁
  • lal
    lal
    I like the counter. But instead of number of posts I would've liked it more if it showed the number of updated threads. Any way the counter is a good thing to keep track of how much activity happened since the last login. I'm in favour of it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As I said, things will always keep on improving. It makes sense to let people get updates on only to what they subscribe to. However, in the forum system; that may take some more time to implement.

Unfortunately, the counter adds two queries to the database whenever a page is loading. That's affecting the performance of the site.

The counter will definitely be there; in a much evolved and smarter form; but it may take a while before we launch it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright, we got the counter back. It's still the same 'raw' counter that tells you how many new posts were made since your last visit. You can rest the counter to 'zero' by clicking on the 'Mark Forums Read' link the the sub-menu.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sorry I now only noticed how to use it. Its quite brillient so that I wont miss any new posts.One thing I found is "Alert" didnt work properly. I had checked watch forums to read but it miss some posts and didnt give me alert.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: It turned out that the count didn't add extra queries to guests. We've put back the latest post counter 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After a much longer wait, as asked by many CE members, we are starting the KYCEan series once again. Very soon we will be back with first KYCEan after a...
hello friends, what is the physical significance of G(s)H(s) in a control system. It of course does not represent the gain of the system. Is this term used only for...
i have a situation where i need to use variable of structure in different files. Where we will assign function returned value and use that assigned value as a arguments...
Im a first year electrical student and i need help to construct a circuit to demodulate modulated AM signal. Please kindly helps if you have any idea about what simple...
A team of engineering students in France designed novel energy-producing wooden bikes from trash which were employed to power a film festival being screened at St. Étienne. This project commenced...