Whats are the disadvantages of swapping in operating system?

What can be the disadvantages of swapping in the operating system?

Replies

• rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Swapping is a mechanism in which a process can be swapped temporarily out of memory to a backing storage and then brought back into memory for continued execution.
    The operating system copies as much data as possible into main memory, and leaves the rest on the disk. When the operating system needs data from the disk, it exchanges a portion of data in main memory with a portion of data on the disk.

I think this is the very good advantage in operating system..
  • Leo
    Leo
    At very practicle say is that swapping doesn't really have any disadvantage.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I think it depends on efficiency of algorithm

If we consider demand paging then it may lead to increase in page faults

but if we consider page replacement algorithms then there will be less page faults

overall we should talk about disadvantage of algorithm we are using not swapping .
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    From the posts it looks like it is thrashing which is the process of using virtual memory.
    Am i correct guys ?
    It is right to say that there in no effective disadvantages of swapping.
    The only disadvantage of swapping occurs if your system has to rely too heavily on virtual memory, you will notice a significant performance drop.
    But this disadvantages doesn't considered in todays PC(which came with at least 1 or 2 GB RAM).
  • Leo
    Leo
    mohit007kumar00
    From the posts it looks like it is thrashing which is the process of using virtual memory.
    Am i correct guys ?
    It is right to say that there in no effective disadvantages of swapping.
    The only disadvantage of swapping occurs if your system has to rely too heavily on virtual memory, you will notice a significant performance drop.
    But this disadvantages doesn't considered in todays PC(which came with at least 1 or 2 GB RAM).
    I agree with you.
  • Leon Lipschitz
    Leon Lipschitz
    Question
    If you activate page swopping is there not the disadvantage that if the power goes off you will loose all the information that you a r e working o
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Leon Lipschitz
    Question
    If you activate page swopping is there not the disadvantage that if the power goes off you will loose all the information that you a r e working o
    Of course, that is the limitation (not a disadvantage though)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

For each of the following four words, come up with another English word that uses all THE SAME letters but in a different order. The four words you come up...
21 September 2010 - Human care company Elekta has been shortlisted in the European Supply Chain Excellence Awards 2010 for its “Mission Control” initiative after achieving parts availability above 99...
Unveiling Paramount Group's new IED protected armoured vehicle Cape Town, South Africa - 21st September 2010: African defence companies are challenging the dominant Western suppliers such as BAE Systems and...
It's well known that Mr. Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple Inc. randomly responds to emails and does it in his own 'style'. Following is one recent email conversation -...
Many many happy returns of the day Kinetic Joules. 🎉🎉 come back to CE!!