What suitable language to develop a network monitor application?

I am going to develop a system application which able to get wireless network details such as own IP, how many connected devices are connecting on same network and so on. What recommended programming language that able do it?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Over to you.
  • kyle
    kyle
    Guide me please.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    kyle
    I am going to develop a system application which able to get wireless network details such as own IP, how many connected devices are connecting on same network and so on. What recommended programming language that able do it?
    What are you good at?
  • kyle
    kyle
    Vishal0203
    What are you good at?
    i am good at java, vb.net and C. So far i done some researches about this topic regarding about Java, but many website said that getting network details needs low level language those stuff and java is not suitable for it.. isn't right?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Kyle,
    Firstly, what exactly are you trying to achieve?
    Second, for starters you can begin looking into open-source tools such as Nagios to get an understanding.
    Generally TCL/TK,perl and ex-script are used for network scripting purposes. I recon Nagios was developed in C (I might be wrong here).
    I think you should look for a programming language which has libraries for network services like snmp, http, icmp and so on.. to make it convenient to build a tool.
    All the best!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    kyle
    Nutty in Launchpad does exactly what you're trying to achieve. ~bablu-boy/nutty/trunk : files for revision 107 it's written in Vala. Since, you know C, it will take lesser time to learn Vala. But drawback is it's very much designed for Gnome desktop which has awesome dbus integration. You might wanna develop cross-platform app instead, using C++ and QT.
  • kyle
    kyle
    durga
    Hi Kyle,
    Firstly, what exactly are you trying to achieve?
    Second, for starters you can begin looking into open-source tools such as Nagios to get an understanding.
    Generally TCL/TK,perl and ex-script are used for network scripting purposes. I recon Nagios was developed in C (I might be wrong here).
    I think you should look for a programming language which has libraries for network services like snmp, http, icmp and so on.. to make it convenient to build a tool.
    All the best!
    Yes, i am looking for the programming language that suitable to build the apps. Any recommended language?
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    kyle
    i am good at java, vb.net and C. So far i done some researches about this topic regarding about Java, but many website said that getting network details needs low level language those stuff and java is not suitable for it.. isn't right?
    Nothing like that. Of course you can go with low level languages but this is still achievable by Java. Java is very widely used language. Did you try searching your problem statement on web? I'm sure you'll many resources
  • kyle
    kyle
    Vishal0203
    Nothing like that. Of course you can go with low level languages but this is still achievable by Java. Java is very widely used language. Did you try searching your problem statement on web? I'm sure you'll many resources
    Thanks for your information, i will keep researching
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    kyle
    Thanks for your information, i will keep researching
    Good,
    Try writing some code and post your code if you are still stuck. We can help you debug after that.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    kyle
    Yes, i am looking for the programming language that suitable to build the apps. Any recommended language?
    You seem to be aiming to build an application (network monitoring app) and not to do network programming/scripting.Since you look to be proficient/familiar with java, I suggest you to develop using java. There is this snmp API for java what you can start using I suppose.
    snmp4j.org - SNMP APIs for Java
  • kyle
    kyle
    durga
    You seem to be aiming to build an application (network monitoring app) and not to do network programming/scripting.Since you look to be proficient/familiar with java, I suggest you to develop using java. There is this snmp API for java what you can start using I suppose.
    snmp4j.org - SNMP APIs for Java
    YES!!! Thanks for you API... It'll very useful for me... API is very important for programming.
  • kyle
    kyle
    Vishal0203
    Good,
    Try writing some code and post your code if you are still stuck. We can help you debug after that.
    Oh... Thank you very much...
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    "knock, knock"
    "who's there ?"
    (A very long pause)
    "Java"

๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
  • kyle
    kyle
    Abhishek Rawal
    "knock, knock"
    "who's there ?"
    (A very long pause)
    "Java"

๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
    ๐Ÿ˜ I'm here... Thanks for your information.. Thank you..๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Abhishek Rawal
    "knock, knock"
    "who's there ?"
    (A very long pause)
    "Java"

๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
    I guess I didn't understand the intention behind this comment? ๐Ÿ˜› Tried to convey something? Bumped over my head!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Vishal0203
    I guess I didn't understand the intention behind this comment? ๐Ÿ˜› Tried to convey something? Bumped over my head!
    I just don't think using Java for desktop application is good move. It is memory hog. I always have noted that while using desktop apps written in Java. I might be wrong though, since I am no where closer to be Java expert.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Abhishek Rawal
    I just don't think using Java for desktop application is good move. It is memory hog. I always have noted that while using desktop apps written in Java. I might be wrong though, since I am no where closer to be Java expert.
    Agreed partially. But I see great IDE's from IntelliJ written in Java. Those IDE's are master piece! However, I think op should first try a CLI application. No harm in that.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    kyle
    Use the language you are most comfortable with. ๐Ÿ˜
    Truth is, an application can be developed in any language, only difference is, in some languages, that particular task will be more efficient than others, and in other languages it will take less time to develop, but will sacrifice a little on efficiency. ๐Ÿ˜€
    For instance, you can go with C/C++. If you are aiming to make application to run on windows,
    search for "Native Wifi API" and it will get you going.
    Good Luck !๐Ÿ‘
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    kyle
    how many connected devices are connecting on same network
    Sounds like you want to have a network scanning feature. You can check out Angry IP, it has some source files in java.

Don't forget to check out RRDTool for database and graphing your data.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This incredible time lapse video will take you around the world in less than 5 minutes. It comprises 17 countries, and 6237 photographs spanning 343 days. See if your country...
How can we prove that radio waves are sine waves? What makes them sine?
I am student of first year electronics, I want to develop a circuit using 8051. I have the 8051 chip (AT89S51) but don't know how to transfer code into it....
On 15th October at Somerset House in Central London, Proto Labs are jointly hosting a series of master classes and workshops designed to help you accelerate your innovations into a...