What skills are required in software or hardware companies?

Hello, I'm currently doing my 3rd year of engineering (electronics & communication). What kind of skills are the companies expecting me to have ? Please do answer in case of both software and hardware companies.....

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    neena_ann
    Hello, I'm currently doing my 3rd year of engineering (electronics & communication). What kind of skills are the companies expecting me to have ? Please do answer in case of both software and hardware companies.....
    In short, the skills required to deliver your 4th year project, is what the companies looks for - which are, team skills, pro-activeness, idea generation, leadership skills, you must know what are the objectives of a team, striving hard to achieve goal, interpersonal skills, communication skills are some of the obvious skills.

If you deliver the project smoothly in your 4th year with active participation and collaboration of all team members, I guess, you do not need to read any other books/articles about this anymore. I believe, the other objective of these projects is to make a person practice and possess these skills.

Another thing I want to mention (Though not asked by you) -
    About software companies, I have heard people speak - "do this and that course during your inter semester break, it will make your resume stand on priority and help in major ways in the companies". As per my opinion, this is completely myth. While recruiting freshers, HR does know, candidate do not posses those practical knowledge which are use used in Live Projects. The Theory a fresher read, and the concept he/she implements during projects at companies are having hell and heaven differences. I have seen friends spending so many bucks on studying those courses, which was nothing but a wastage (My opinion only). My roommate studied .NET during breaks (before joining IT company) but company put him in C++ technology before the training. He could not utilize that knowledge anymore. I would rather suggest to learn some foreign language instead! I guess, it would be fun as well. Anyways, software companies conduct a very good training programs of 3 to 4 months as per their norms. But please make sure, you have a sound knowledge on whatever subjects you study.
    Yes, projects done in 4th year in software field will help a bit, but I guess, you being an ECE engineer, will rather do some 8051 family project.. (Kidding πŸ˜€)

For Core companies, if you are being placed in-campus, it would be a boon. They will make you learn all the necessary stuffs. All you have to do is to be very sound in various subjects like Microprocessor, Micro-controller, Control system and etc etc. Else, for off-campus interviews, you should possess come certification in PLCs, SCADA, DCS, Embeddedd etc etc.
  • neena_ann
    neena_ann
    Koushal Patel
    In short, the skills required to deliver your 4th year project, is what the companies looks for - which are, team skills, pro-activeness, idea generation, leadership skills, you must know what are the objectives of a team, striving hard to achieve goal, interpersonal skills, communication skills are some of the obvious skills.

If you deliver the project smoothly in your 4th year with active participation and collaboration of all team members, I guess, you do not need to read any other books/articles about this anymore. I believe, the other objective of these projects is to make a person practice and possess these skills.

Another thing I want to mention (Though not asked by you) -
    About software companies, I have heard people speak - "do this and that course during your inter semester break, it will make your resume stand on priority and help in major ways in the companies". As per my opinion, this is completely myth. While recruiting freshers, HR does know, candidate do not posses those practical knowledge which are use used in Live Projects. The Theory a fresher read, and the concept he/she implements during projects at companies are having hell and heaven differences. I have seen friends spending so many bucks on studying those courses, which was nothing but a wastage (My opinion only). My roommate studied .NET during breaks (before joining IT company) but company put him in C++ technology before the training. He could not utilize that knowledge anymore. I would rather suggest to learn some foreign language instead! I guess, it would be fun as well. Anyways, software companies conduct a very good training programs of 3 to 4 months as per their norms. But please make sure, you have a sound knowledge on whatever subjects you study.
    Yes, projects done in 4th year in software field will help a bit, but I guess, you being an ECE engineer, will rather do some 8051 family project.. (Kidding πŸ˜€)

For Core companies, if you are being placed in-campus, it would be a boon. They will make you learn all the necessary stuffs. All you have to do is to be very sound in various subjects like Microprocessor, Micro-controller, Control system and etc etc. Else, for off-campus interviews, you should possess come certification in PLCs, SCADA, DCS, Embeddedd etc etc.
    Thank you very much πŸ˜€ Will try learning Japanese I guess πŸ˜›
    Can you tell me what i could be doing to improve my knowledge ? I don't think Textbook alone will help ....
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    nein na_ann
    Can you tell me what i could be doing to improve my knowledge ? I don't think Textbook alone will help ....
    Knowledge in which field exactly? Please confirm...
  • neena_ann
    neena_ann
    Koushal Patel
    Knowledge in which field exactly? Please confirm...
    Electronics and communication .
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    neena_ann
    Improve communication skills, those matter as much (if not more) as technical skills,
    next, as you are from E&C background, for software companies, you may learn C/C++ as it's like a bridge between E&C and IT πŸ˜€

neena_ann
    Textbooks will help,as a solid understanding of concepts is a must. Choose a field and then be so strong in that field that you can handle anything of that field.
    Good Luck!!
  • neena_ann
    neena_ann
    rahul69
    Improve communication skills, those matter as much (if not more) as technical skills,
    next, as you are from E&C background, for software companies, you may learn C/C++ as it's like a bridge between E&C and IT πŸ˜€

Textbooks will help,as a solid understanding of concepts is a must. Choose a field and then be so strong in that field that you can handle anything of that field.
    Good Luck!!
    Thank you very much πŸ˜€ Will do my best ...
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    neena_ann
    Electronics and communication .
    You know what is in your syllabus, just make sure, you know the basics of everything. If you are fortunate to have broadband, please search YouTube videos for better visual understanding. For example - see this one on how MOSFET is and how it works.
    I prefer learning from pictures and videos and also would like to refer to do! There are n numbers of videos available in internet. Text book is good, but it is after all the author's way of representation of scientific statements in his/her own way! Is n't it?

One of my senior from my workplace is a regular member of interview panel. I came to learn from him that - "If basics are good, plus you have a satisfactory decent communication skill, the day is yours". Let us know if you find any technical difficulties during preparation. Good Luck! πŸ˜€
  • neena_ann
    neena_ann
    Koushal Patel
    You know what is in your syllabus, just make sure, you know the basics of everything. If you are fortunate to have broadband, please search YouTube videos for better visual understanding. For example - see this one on how MOSFET is and how it works.
    I prefer learning from pictures and videos and also would like to refer to do! There are n numbers of videos available in internet. Text book is good, but it is after all the author's way of representation of scientific statements in his/her own way! Is n't it?

One of my senior from my workplace is a regular member of interview panel. I came to learn from him that - "If basics are good, plus you have a satisfactory decent communication skill, the day is yours". Let us know if you find any technical difficulties during preparation. Good Luck! πŸ˜€
    That helped...Thank you πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    neena_ann
    At fresher level, all you need to know is your subjects taught during four year of engineering course. Just be thorough with your preparation. There are several tips here to clear your HR interviews. Everything else will be taught on the job.
  • neena_ann
    neena_ann
    Kaustubh Katdare
    At fresher level, all you need to know is your subjects taught during four year of engineering course. Just be thorough with your preparation. There are several tips here to clear your HR interviews. Everything else will be taught on the job.
    Will do πŸ˜€ Thank you πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How often does it happen that you can’t seem to remember whether or not you locked your home while leaving? That’s right. More often than not, you can remember. But...
Anyone who has ever bought active noise cancelling headphones knows two things. First they are incredibly expensive and second without a power source they are just like regular headphones. Normally...
which publisher books will be good for gate mechanical engg. or any material avail there
It seems that nothing is impossible at CES 2015. After the world’s thinnest TV at 4.9 mm and world’s thinnest tablet at 6mm it seemed that there are no more...
Sewer sludge (refers to the solids separated during the treatment of municipal waste water) are heated in a boiler to a temperature where it emits water vapours. Water vapours are...