What is Zero?

I'm here to question what is the zero. Why do we use it. As I had a research over it & got that it was found by Babylonian, used by Bhramagupta. But still didn't get what is the purpose of using zero. Post ur answers 😀

Replies

• Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Zero is the what it does. It is base of everything.
    consider Binary System Zero is there. (Yes or No Question)
    Consider Decimal Number system Zero is there.
    Consider Hexadecimal Number system Zero is there.
  • Herin HR
    Herin HR
    Yeah I agree with u Akhil but my point is what's the value of zero in using for all basic operations. If u take take in CS it plays as language interface between human and system. Likewise we use lot of zeros in lot of areas. Under what role it is playing in all fields..
    /-/®
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    In the big picture, role of zero cannot be explained easily.
  • Herin HR
    Herin HR
    Hmm...kk I agree to that
    /-/®
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting discussion! Though I don't have anything really constructive to contribute to this discussion; I thought we could request for information for our own Google + Wikipedia 😀 , #-Link-Snipped-# sir.

The concept of 'nothing' seems to be the 'base' of mathematics and science and I guess - the entire Universe. I'm not sure if there's any information available about how Zero was brought into number system.
  • Herin HR
    Herin HR
    Yea thanks for your help kaustubh😀
    /-/®©™
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    All mathematics that we know now is not possible without zero. You cannot handle calculus with Roaman Numerals. The concept of Zero is position value.
    8 x 3 = 24 So is VIII x III = XXIV. It is the zero (implied) that permits Arabic numerals to let us do calculations.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    '0' is simply the representation of the quantity that does exist but the least in measurement and comparable to the sense of "nothing".
    I said the least which means 0 < 0.000000000000001
    Suppose if you have no mangoes in your bag you can tell i have no mangoes(using literature) 0 mangoes (mathematically).
    To introduce 0 in vague sense I might say take a set of numbers which consists of 1 to 10 elements. Now by default every set exists with a value without which the set is not defined that is known as NULL (representation phi). This NULL is 0 which means when there's no element, then the element which exists is 0 or NULL. ( However there is a slight difference)
    To be more concrete you might delve into the counting principle
    Counting
    I would suggest Number Theory Book by David Burton would help you in this.
  • Herin HR
    Herin HR
    Yeah thanks for that @ Debasmita & Ramani
    /-/®©™

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I here to discuss about vehicles & engines. As we know that a lot of automobiles are being designed everyday but not all the designs are successful. Yet some vehicles...
We all know what is lubricants & why is it used used for. Here, Graphite & Molybdenum disulphide are solid lubricants. State where are there lubricants used & how they...
Country’s second largest free messaging app Hike recently brought in its biggest ever update for Windows 8.1. The features on the offer includes a sparkling new user interface that makes...
What is the role of an engineer in society & in National Development? How must be a future engineer must be? What's ur point of view? /-/®©™
Why is any number raised to zero power equals one ? 0! /-/®©™