What is TIN Number? How To Apply? Why Do Business Owners In India Need It?

If your startup / SMB company is looking to sell something online or offline, chances are that you have heard about TIN Number. Here's a short guide for you to understand what a TIN number in India means, why does your company need it and how can you apply for it. Let's begin -

1. What is TIN?

TIN stands for Taxpayer Identification Number. This term is used alternatively with VAT (Value Added Tax) number. [Note: TIN number is called VAT number when it used for intra state sales.]
"Tax Information Network" is an initiative made by Income Tax Department of India to make the process of collection, processing, accounting and monitoring of direct taxes completely online. Under this network, Govt. of India wants to have a single repository of all tax related information, that can be accessed from anywhere within the country. To access it, every dealer needs a TIN Number as a token of identification of the business being registered under VAT.

TIN has two key sub-systems:

1. Electronic Return Acceptance and Consolidation System (ERACS)

Under this taxpayers get to access a web-based utility for upload of electronic returns of TDS, TCS and Annual Information Return (AIR) to the central system of TIN.

2. Online Tax Accounting System (OLTAS)

Here details about different TAX related information from various tax collecting branches across the country will be accessible.

So, a TIN is an an eleven digit number (where first 2 digits indicate State Code and 9 digits differ according to every state government). Business owners have to mention the TIN on all correspondence and VAT transactions.

Basically, every sending & receiving company in deal has to specify the TIN number on all their documents such as Invoice, Quotation, Sales Order etc.

2. Do I need TIN?

If you are a Manufacturer or Exporter or Dealer or a Trader based in India, you need to get TIN.

3. How to Apply for TIN Number in India?

For online application, you can visit the official website, here: #-Link-Snipped-#
If you want to apply offline, you can download the form [attached below] and submit it at your nearest center.

4. What documents do I need to apply for TIN number?
  • ID Proof / Address proof / PAN card of proprietor with 4 to 6 number of photographs
  • Address proof of Business premises;
  • 1st Sale / Purchase Invoice, copy of LR/GR & payment/collection proof with bank statement
  • Surety/Security/Reference.
You can check the location of the nearest IN-Facilitation Centres Cum PAN Centres here:
#-Link-Snipped-#

For startups, we recommend that you get in touch with your CA. He/She can guide you in case of any glitches in the process.

In case if you have any queries, please ask them below. We will try our best to answer them ASAP.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Very interesting discussion, #-Link-Snipped-# . If any startup wants to list their products on Flipkart or Amazon, they'll need the TIN number. Without TIN you can only sell unstitched clothing and books / CDs etc. If CrazyEngineers decides on selling t-shirts via Flipkart; we'll need a TIN.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you. I believe it will help many startups to get the basic idea.
    I first heard it as we were studying about SAP finance module.
    [Off topic: In SAP - TIN number is maintained vendor master, customer master & HR master]

I have heard that before introducing VAT in India, all traders/dealers had to register locally (state level) where it is called LST (Local Sales Tax).
  • Robinson Devadasan
    Robinson Devadasan
    Hi, the online link takes to PAN Application. not able to lcoate TIN online application form.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Megha Patil
    Megha Patil
    Hi,
    Good info for the people who are planning to start their own business. I've question.
    Is Address proof of Business premises is mandatory? I'm planning to start selling clothing products on amazon and flipkart. But right now i don't have any business premise as such. I'm planning to start listing very less products and we have an option to list even a single product on these e-commerce websites. So can we provide residential address as business premise?

Thanks,
    Megha
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Megha Patil
    Hi,
    Good info for the people who are planning to start their own business. I've question.
    Is Address proof of Business premises is mandatory? I'm planning to start selling clothing products on amazon and flipkart. But right now i don't have any business premise as such. I'm planning to start listing very less products and we have an option to list even a single product on these e-commerce websites. So can we provide residential address as business premise?

Thanks,
    Megha
    I think yes you can do this. Many people is working from home or they have their home as a office. If they are asking for company registration document then you need to make sure that your company registration is having same as your home address.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Selling on Flipkar requires you to complete all the formalities - which require you to have a business entity with its own PAN, TIN, TAN along with address proof. If you are operating from your home, you should be able to list it - provided you have it registered as your 'office'. Just ensure that Flipkart offers pick up facility for the goods you are selling at the address you've mentioned.
  • Megha Patil
    Megha Patil
    Thank you all for your response.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    DRobinson
    Hi, the online link takes to PAN Application. not able to lcoate TIN online application form.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I guess it has been taken down. It's best if you can go the offline way. You can download the form and submit it at your nearest center.
  • Uniglobe Consulting
    Uniglobe Consulting
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Hi, I am a professional tax consultant practicing in Delhi. Information and links provided by you for applying TIN Number is not appropriate. TIN Number (Tax Identification number) which consists of both VAT and CST is governed and provided by state government. Every trader who is dealing in trading of goods online of offline is required to obtain TIN Number from respective state government.

For those who are planning to sell goods online at snapdeal, flipkart and amazon require TIN Number compulsorily to get them registered as a seller/merchant.
  • Uniglobe Consulting
    Uniglobe Consulting
    Planning to be a Merchant/ seller with Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal & Myntra.

Start selling your products online at Snapdeal, Flipkart, Amazon and Myntra with your own TIN number.
  • Deepanshu1
    Deepanshu1
    I get 3 lakhs as anually salary in my job. But company give me some coupons to save tax. Can I use same TIN no for online business also. If yes Then, if I earn 50,000 from online sale Then what amt I hav to pay as tax
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Deepanshu1
    I get 3 lakhs as anually salary in my job. But company give me some coupons to save tax. Can I use same TIN no for online business also. If yes Then, if I earn 50,000 from online sale Then what amt I hav to pay as tax
    Not sure about the coupons you were given by the company to save tax. You will definitely need a TIN number to sell online; but I think not all product categories need it (will have to check on this). Also, your tax liabilities will be decided by several factors. Is the Rs. 50,000 you think you will earn pure profit or the revenue?

I'd request you to check with your CA to figure out whether you can get tax benefits by registering as a proprietor or One Person Company: One Person Company Now Possible With Indian Companies Bill 2011 (PDF) , or a private limited company. Frankly speaking, we will need a lot of such details to figure out what will be the tax you'll be liable to pay.
  • Chandan Nasta
    Chandan Nasta
    What is the normal or approximate cost to make a TIN card?
  • Chandan Nasta
    Chandan Nasta
    At last found how to make a TIN card on my own and its very easy:

• #-Link-Snipped-#
    • #-Link-Snipped-#
  • SRIDHARAN M
    SRIDHARAN M
    Hi, I am planning to start my own travels company. Do I need to get TIN or any other licence from state/central government?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SRIDHARAN M
    Hi, I am planning to start my own travels company. Do I need to get TIN or any other licence from state/central government?
    You should contact a reputed CA in your city/town and explain them the nature of your business. They'll inform you whether you'll need the TIN and also help you get it if required.
  • Rajacholan
    Rajacholan
    Hi,
    I would like to start a Export concern, For that i need to get
    1. IEC (Import&Export Code)
    2. Register in EPC (Export Promotion Council)
    My question is, Do we need TIN apart from the above two items...?
    Please clear me on this...

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,
    Rajan.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I just consulted a friend who is a CA. And here's what she told me -
    If your business needs that you pay VAT, you need a TIN Number. The amount of tax you need to pay will differ with respect to the state as well as the activity you're involved in at the business.

Chandan Nasta
    What is the normal or approximate cost to make a TIN card?
    #-Link-Snipped-# It's not a TIN Card like your PAN or Aadhar Card. You just get an official document with the TIN Number. You can add it on your official sales bills.

Rajacholan
    Do we need TIN apart from the above two items...?
    #-Link-Snipped-# If you are involved in both Imports & Exports and not just Imports, you will need a TIN Number for payment of VAT. 👍

I hope this clears your doubts. In case of any questions, feel free to write in replies below. We'll try our best to answer them.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Somebody asked me if VAT & TIN registration are the same thing or not. Well, it has been made pretty clear in the first post here itself. Whenever you purchase raw materials or the end-customer has to make a payment, VAT needs to be paid.

To pay VAT, The number you are registered under is called Tax-payer Identification Number (TIN).

VAT registration and TIN registration are the same! 👍
  • MILIND MAHAJAN
    MILIND MAHAJAN
    1) as mentioned above for registration of TIN first invoice copy and bank statment is necessary. But for rgistration on flipkart TIN IS necessary i hv not yet sold my product off line so dont hv invoice.
    2) Whether we need shop Act license to apply TIN ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hi #-Link-Snipped-# I'll get in touch with a CA I know and try to get you an answer as soon as possible.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    MILIND MAHAJAN
    1) as mentioned above for registration of TIN first invoice copy and bank statement is necessary. But for rgistration on flipkart TIN IS necessary i hv not yet sold my product off line so dont hv invoice.
    Hello #-Link-Snipped-# Sorry for the delay in response. From my discussion with the CA, I found that the first invoice copy could mean any one that you used for the raw material. It needs to have proof that the business is running. Here's what she said:
    Even though the person has not sold anything, he must have purchased certain goods for trading. So, the first purchase invoice is sufficient.

2) Whether we need shop Act license to apply TIN ?
    Yes. Commercial establishment registration under respective state government in generally required.
  • Ashishhrd
    Ashishhrd
    Please tell me, how to arrange purchase bill for any goods (saller not giving any bill) to pay tax. Want 2 sale online.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ashishhrd
    Please tell me, how to arrange purchase bill for any goods (saller not giving any bill) to pay tax. Want 2 sale online.
    Could you write your question a bit in more detail? Are you the seller or the buyer? Any seller MUST provide a bill; else the transaction is likely to be illegal or unauthorised (IMHO).

If you want to sell online, the bills for the goods you sell will be automatically generated by the seller platform. That said, we can provide better answers if you describe your question with appropriate details.
  • Deepak Rohila
    Deepak Rohila
    Hello sir/madam
    My question is about for tin no that I want to sell someone product online on such as Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal so as I know that I need a tin no for this. But I want to know some points by step by step... Who's is below.:-
    1. If I am starting as a seller on flipkart or another e-commerce site then I will need a tin no. But I am newbie for that if I want apply for tin no online so what is the total cost for apply tin no online. And where (site) to I can apply for tin no online and what is the steps for done on this and what required the documents for apply.
    2. What are the process all about it from apply online tin no to I get done my tin no. Like how apply, cost to apply online, required documents proof, all this things.
    3. If I have not an office or workplace for my selling so then what I show for tin no. And if no any selling bill in written for show there apply so can I apply for tin no.
    4. If I do apply for tin no so what will be any inquiry for Check my workplace and any type of proof from their and what any executive came at My address for all of these inquiry.?
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    If I am starting as a seller on flipkart or another e-commerce site then I will need a tin no. But I am newbie for that if I want apply for tin no online so what is the total cost for apply tin no online. And where (site) to I can apply for tin no online and what is the steps for done on this and what required the documents for apply.

What are the process all about it from apply online tin no to I get done my tin no. Like how apply, cost to apply online, required documents proof, all this things
    Log in to respective site of Sales Tax Department. For Example: In case of Maharashtra log in to mahavat.gov.in. Select the E-Registration option and fill in the required Details.
    Documents Required:
    1)PAN
    2)Business Name
    3) Name and Status of the Signatory and other details as required by the state.
    In the State of Maharashtra the cost of voluntary registration is Rs. 5,000

If I have not an office or workplace for my selling so then what I show for tin no. And if no any selling bill in written for show there apply so can I apply for tin no.
    (For Maharashtra Stat. It may vary for other States)
    A “non resident dealer” means a dealer, who effects purchases or sales of any goods in the State, but who has no fixed place of business in the State. The applications for registration of the NRC dealers shall be accepted at the office of the STO(NRC) at the Vikrikar Bhavan, Mazgaon, Mumbai 400010. These applications shall not be routed through the counter but shall be accepted directly. The rest of the procedure for processing these applications remains same as the local dealer. Before processing these applications the STO(NRC) shall ensure that the applicant does not have any place of business anywhere in the State.

If I do apply for tin no so what will be any inquiry for Check my workplace and any type of proof from their and what any executive came at My address for all of these inquiry.?
    Very rare chances that any executive will come for enquiry unless your case comes under scrutiny and the officer finds that you are trying to conceal your income and evading tax.

#-Link-Snipped-# I hope this helps you out.
  • surajgor
    surajgor
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    For TIN No . I should Have VAT no ??
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    There is no difference between a TIN number and a VAT number.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    There is no difference between a TIN number and a VAT number.
  • surajgor
    surajgor
    Dear Madum
    Can i get Regular Vat no
    without depositing 25000
  • surajgor
    surajgor
    Dear Madum
    Can i get Regular Vat no without depositing 25000
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    No. For Voluntary registration, you have to compulsorily pay Rs. 25,000 as Security Deposit in addition to Registration charges. It will be refunded only after a period of 3 years.
  • surajgor
    surajgor
    Madum

Can i get Regular Vat No.
    instead of Voluntary.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    It is called Compulsory registration.
    Criteria for Compulsory Registration:-
    1) You are an Importer or a Works Contractor.
    2) Liable to pay tax at special rates (for goods like petrol.)
    3) Your Turnover exceeds Rs. 10 lacs.
    These conditions may vary from state to state.
    In this case you are not required to pay any sum towards Security Deposits.
  • xyzabc
    xyzabc
    Hi Please help me i am planning to open my business and in mean time i apply for tin number but doesnt do any monetary transaction will i be still liable for tax in sense of only having tin number
  • Sabir azeez
    Sabir azeez
    Hi I'm starting up an food tech & e commerce website so I need tin number?? If it is not mandatory then wht legal things should I need??
    Regards
    Sabir azeez
  • Sabir azeez
    Sabir azeez
    Hi I'm starting up an food tech and ecommerce portal is tin number is mandatory to me if not what legal things should I get

Regards
    Sabir azeez
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-# If you get a TIN number you have to file returns compulsorily. You can show your income as "NIL" since you do not have any monetary transactions.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-# : TIN number is mandatory for food tech as well as e-commerce website.
  • Mukthar
    Mukthar
    I am starting online business from home...one of the conditions to get TIN is
    The authorities from the local VAT office will inspect the premises of where you conduct business within a prescribed time...Can home considered business premise...Or should I apply for any other business license before applying for TIN
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Mukthar
    Can home considered business premise
    Yes. Definitely. There are thousands of home offices across the country. Most top businesses we know today were started from bedrooms, living rooms and garages. Check for the minimum requirements for a home-based office to be treated as a business premises and that's enough.
  • MMV
    MMV
    Hi,
    Is applying for TIN with home address makes the home as commercial property?
    Do we have to update it in property and water bills as well?

I am planning to do a small business from home and register on Amazon.
    with regards,
    MMV
  • Lavesh
    Lavesh
    Hi Anita, just wanted to let you know that your posts are really good and informative. I am planning to start a company which my wife is gonna head as I am already employed. So we plan to start a crafts business made from handmade paper. Can you tell me what sort of licences are required. I have already registered for EM1 for which I have the acknowledgement as well. Step by step procedure will be of great help.
  • Lavesh
    Lavesh
    Hi Anita, just wanted to let you know that your posts are really good and informative. I am planning to start a company which my wife is gonna head as I am already employed. So we plan to start a crafts business made from handmade paper. Can you tell me what sort of licences are required. I have already registered for EM1 for which I have the acknowledgement as well. Step by step procedure will be of great help.
  • Vishnu Prasaad
    Vishnu Prasaad
    I am planning to do Customized Home Automation Solutions. Currently I am buying every components from ebay and other hobbyist component seller. I am not able to buy component from major repositors like Mouser, element14, etc..., as they are having TIN number as mandatory. Please give me some suggestions and advice over this issue and for my business plans.
  • kalpana007
    kalpana007
    Hi,
    I would like to sell some products on Amazon and Flipkart. I need a TIN number to get registered and do business. But for registration i need 1st Sale / Purchase Invoice, copy of LR/GR & payment/collection proof with bank statement..

With out starting business how can i submit the sale/purchase invoice &payment/collection proof with bank statement ?

What should i submit for Surety/Security/Reference ?

Please reply
    kalpana
  • kalpana007
    kalpana007
    Hi,
    I would like to sell some products on Amazon and Flipkart. I need a TIN number to get registered and do business. But for registration i need 1st Sale / Purchase Invoice, copy of LR/GR & payment/collection proof with bank statement..

With out starting business how can i submit the sale/purchase invoice &payment/collection proof with bank statement ?

Please reply
    kalpana
  • P ANKAJ S HARMA
    P ANKAJ S HARMA
    What is the LR and GR. please explain the meaning of the statement written below.
    • 1st Sale / Purchase Invoice, copy of LR/GR & payment/collection proof with bank statement
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Requesting #-Link-Snipped-# to help out with the queries. Your help is really valuable. 😀
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    P ANKAJ S HARMA
    What is the LR and GR. please explain the meaning of the statement written below.
    #-Link-Snipped-# LR/GR i.e Lorry Receipts and Goods Receipt are Document of Title to goods. When a person (mostly seller) hands over goods to a transporting agency, the agency issues a receipt to the person (seller) who hands such goods for transportation and at destination delivers the goods to the person who hands back the receipt to the transportation agency. This document is known as LR/GR if transportation is by road, RR if it is by rail and so on.

Thus such receipts are important documents as they prove that the sale actually took place.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    kalpana007
    Hi,

Please reply
    kalpana
    #-Link-Snipped-# For selling the Products on Amazon or Flipkart you must have purchased certain goods may be as raw material etc,a purchase invoice of such goods would do. The meaning of LR/GR has already been explained below , this receipt is an evidence that sales/purchase has taken place and therefor becomes necessary to submit the same. Also you need to open a Bank account in the name of your Business and submit that bank copy to the Department. The basic motto of the department is to make sure that the business really exists before alloting a TIN number
  • Gaurav Sagar
    Gaurav Sagar
    I want to be a dealer of cement, do i need to register for TIN ???? Plz help....!!!

I want to start a business as Cement dealer, do i need to have a TIN No. ???? Plzz Help...!!!!
  • sachin7893
    sachin7893
    Hello ankita,
    I m a dealer of a pvt company, which issues tax invoice to its dealers. As i m newly connected with company, so i dont have TIN number,

Company told me, apply for TIN...

MY qns is that.... can i bought products from company and claim INPUT TAX CREDIT.... if i had appied for TIN but TIN is not alloted to me now??

Thankyou
    Regards : Sachin
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yes you do need to register for TIN.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    sachin7893
    Hello ankita,
    I m a dealer of a pvt company, which issues tax invoice to its dealers. As i m newly connected with company, so i dont have TIN number,

Company told me, apply for TIN...

MY qns is that.... can i bought products from company and claim INPUT TAX CREDIT.... if i had appied for TIN but TIN is not alloted to me now??

Thankyou
    Regards : Sachin
    The question of claiming Input Tax credit arises only after TIN number is allotted to you as you can file you returns only after getting your TIN number. Moreover it also depends on what kind of goods you have purchased. A list called as "Negative List" has been issued by the department which clearly states that Input Tax Credit cannot be claimed for the goods mentioned in such negative list. Thus, you can claim credit after getting TIN number if the goods which you have purchased are not any of them mentioned in the above list.
  • Gaurav Sagar
    Gaurav Sagar
    Thank You...!!!!!!
  • sachin7893
    sachin7893
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    The question of claiming Input Tax credit arises only after TIN number is allotted to you as you can file you returns only after getting your TIN number. Moreover it also depends on what kind of goods you have purchased. A list called as "Negative List" has been issued by the department which clearly states that Input Tax Credit cannot be claimed for the goods mentioned in such negative list. Thus, you can claim credit after getting TIN number if the goods which you have purchased are not any of them mentioned in the above list.
    Thankyou aishwarya
    for your valuable advice... Actully i had bought products from company and company issuing me tax invoice.... I had applied for TIN and departmrnt had issued me SRN.. Company asked me for TIN and my reply was A/F.... i.e applied..

In my down line, small dealers are here, they have same situation(apply for TIN)...

My Qns is that... can i issue TAX INVOICE to my downline dealer??

If not, then how can i issue invoice

Eg. I bought products from my company worth Rs. 10,00,000 on which company charge VAT @10%...

Value : 10,00,000

+ VAT : 100000

TOTAL : 11,00,000

NOW MY INVOICE WHAT SHOULD BE..

CASE (1) TAX INVOICE

VALUE : 12,00,000 + 1,20,000 = 13,20,000

CASE (2) TAX INVOICE

VALUE : 12,00,000 + 1,00,000 = 13,00,000

CASE (3) NORMAL INVOICE

VALUE : 13,00,000

THANKS IN ADVANCE

REGARDS : SACHIN
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    sachin7893
    Thankyou aishwarissued me SRN.. Company asked me for TIN and my reply was A/F.... i.e applied..

In my down line, small dealers are here, they have same situation(apply for TIN)...

My Qns is that... can i issue TAX INVOICE to my downline dealer??

If not, then how can i issue invoice

Eg. I bought products from my company worth Rs. 10,00,000 on which company charge VAT @10%...

Value : 10,00,000

+ VAT : 100000

TOTAL : 11,00,000

NOW MY INVOICE WHAT SHOULD BE..

CASE (1) TAX INVOICE

VALUE : 12,00,000 + 1,20,000 = 13,20,000

CASE (2) TAX INVOICE

VALUE : 12,00,000 + 1,00,000 = 13,00,000

CASE (3) NORMAL INVOICE

VALUE : 13,00,000

THANKS IN ADVANCE

REGARDS : SACHIN

You cannot issue a tax invoice if you do not have a TIN Number. You will have to issue a normal invoice of Rs. 13,00,000
  • sachin7893
    sachin7893
    Thankyou aish..... 👍
  • Sultan Munaaf
    Sultan Munaaf
    Hello,
    Thanks for you article this is very use full to all every business persons,
    I would like to know one thing i like to start vegetable business in Hyderabad do i need a VAT and LST number to start this business please provider me the proper info what thing need to start to this business.

Thanks&Regards,
    Sultan Munaaf.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yes you do need VAT number for vegetable business if your Turnover exceeds the prescribed limit (Rs. 5lacs or 10 Lacs depending upon the state). Kindly go through the article and discussion once again in order to know what things are needed to start a business.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    Sultan Munaaf
    Hello,
    Thanks for you article this is very use full to all every business persons,
    I would like to know one thing i like to start vegetable business in Hyderabad do i need a VAT and LST number to start this business please provider me the proper info what thing need to start to this business.

Thanks&Regards,
    Sultan Munaaf.
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yes you do need VAT number for vegetable business if your Turnover exceeds the prescribed limit (Rs. 5lacs or 10 Lacs depending upon the state). Kindly go through the article and discussion once again in order to know what things are needed to start a business.
  • Mukesh Dev
    Mukesh Dev
    I have two issues with startup online business.
    Firstly i am residing in rented house, can this address be used as address proof for my business entity?
    Secondly, being a government employee(ad hoc), is it okay to start a business with my own name?
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    Mukesh Dev
    I have two issues with startup online business.
    Firstly i am residing in rented house, can this address be used as address proof for my business entity?
    Secondly, being a government employee(ad hoc), is it okay to start a business with my own name?
    No. Being a government employee you cannot start a business in your name..Also rented house address cannot be used as an address proof
  • Mukesh Dev
    Mukesh Dev
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    No. Being a government employee you cannot start a business in your name..Also rented house address cannot be used as an address proof
    If i get Tin no. for city X and want to trade in city Y, is it possible?
  • Sheikh hussain barith
    Sheikh hussain barith
    Hi I'm Hussain from noida..can you tell me how much money to get tin no?
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    Mukesh Dev
    If i get Tin no. for city X and want to trade in city Y, is it possible?
    Yes.It is possible to trade in different cities.
  • Ari
    Ari
    Hi I just buy and sell small things from one shop to people who demand those objects. I don't have any stall or shop. I sell as and when demands come to me. To promote my venture i printed cards .
    Do I need to have a TIN to distribute cards?
  • Desu Nikitha
    Desu Nikitha
    ankita... ur rite...VAT and TIN are the same..and CST comes along with it...dats wat my dad told me.... is t true? if we register for VAT we will get CST also.?
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    Desu Nikitha
    ankita... ur rite...VAT and TIN are the same..and CST comes along with it...dats wat my dad told me.... is t true? if we register for VAT we will get CST also.?
    No. You have to register for CST separately.
  • parag majumdar
    parag majumdar
    Hi, I want to sell packed mustard oil bottle on online or offline. For this which type license or registration requires.
  • sprinz
    sprinz
    i am working in an organisation and i am planning to start my own business can i able to apply TIN if i am working in a different company

I am Working in an organisation and i am planning to do my own side business. can i able to apply TIN number under my name..? or do i need to get it with some other person name for my side business.?
  • nandansrm
    nandansrm
    Hi,
    Can we get tin number while working in any other company. Or we need to be free from any employer to start up any business.
  • milli
    milli
    what is composition scheme ?
    When Any dealer falls under the scheme and at what percentage he will liable to pay tax under such scheme ?? plz reply
  • Keshav Thakur
    Keshav Thakur
    i want to know that if i buy IT Product from delhi and move to HP. do i need TIN for first time or not.
  • Keshav Thakur
    Keshav Thakur
    if i buy first time IT Product from one place and move to other place do i need TIN
  • Vikask123456
    Vikask123456
    Sir, we are a startup company,having knowledge in PCB designing, making electronic products and various other aspects of hardware and software...we have taken a residential apartment for rent. Would we get TIN number for residential?
  • Vikask123456
    Vikask123456
    And if we get TIN, and if their is any problem in future like if the company would go in loss. Would this TIN effect us in any way.
  • Samara
    Samara
    I make ladies handbags at home in delhi and would like to sell online . I have Pan no. Do I need TIN/or CST? Also I do not have commercial space. Can I use home address for applying for TIN NO . How long does it take to get TIN no.
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    milli
    what is composition scheme ?
    When Any dealer falls under the scheme and at what percentage he will liable to pay tax under such scheme ?? plz reply
    The Composition Scheme is one such scheme, applicable to all traders in India with a turnover of between Rs. 10 lakh and Rs. 50 lakh..If all the conditions are satisfied by you and you get yourself registered under composition scheme, you will have an advantage to pay tax at a lower rate ( may be arount 4% or so).
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    Samara
    I make ladies handbags at home in delhi and would like to sell online . I have Pan no. Do I need TIN/or CST? Also I do not have commercial space. Can I use home address for applying for TIN NO . How long does it take to get TIN no.
    Yes you do require a TIN number and your home address can be used for this purpose
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    Vikask123456
    And if we get TIN, and if their is any problem in future like if the company would go in loss. Would this TIN effect us in any way.
    No. In case of loss (say you have to shut your business), you have an option to cancel your VAT registration. You can also file Nil return in case of loss
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    Vikask123456
    Sir, we are a startup company,having knowledge in PCB designing, making electronic products and various other aspects of hardware and software...we have taken a residential apartment for rent. Would we get TIN number for residential?
    No you won't get a Tin Number for residential address taken on rent
  • PGupta
    PGupta
    I am a bit confused. #2 mentions TIN should be specified in Invoice and #4 says I need to produce Sale/Purchase Invoice to acquire the TIN. So, to see I first need a TIN and to get the TIN again I need to sell first. I am planning to set up a small shop in an ecommerce site. How can I produce the Invoice to obtain the TIN unless I start selling?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    #-Link-Snipped-# For selling the Products on Amazon or Flipkart you must have purchased certain goods may be as raw material etc,a purchase invoice of such goods would do. The meaning of LR/GR has already been explained below , this receipt is an evidence that sales/purchase has taken place and therefor becomes necessary to submit the same. Also you need to open a Bank account in the name of your Business and submit that bank copy to the Department. The basic motto of the department is to make sure that the business really exists before alloting a TIN number
    #-Link-Snipped-# Check page number 3 in this discussion. Your query might be already answered there, ^.
  • PGupta
    PGupta
    Ankita Katdare
    Check page number 3 in this discussion. Your query might be already answered there, ^.
    Thanks for your prompt response. That was helpful. However since I am a novice to business world, it brings me to the next set of questions.
    1. How can I open a bank account in the name of my business? What document I need to show to the bank? Please note that I do not actually have any business or company. I intend to start one that too only online.
    2. Is there any specification/criteria (like amount, quantity) that the Purchase Invoice needs to meet? If not, that would mean I can produce any kind of bill (say for a pair of jeans I bought from Pantaloons) to obtain the TIN .
    3. Once I have the TIN do I need to sell the same category of goods for which I had produced the purchase invoice? For e.g. I may obtain the TIN by producing the purchase invoice of a few garments from any shop and then go on to sell electronic products on Flipkart.
    4. Why is LR/GR compulsory ot obtain TIN? It's all about the mode of transportation. A person may choose to use my own car to transport the goods. What in that case?
  • PGupta
    PGupta
    PGupta
    Thanks for your prompt response. That was helpful. However since I am a novice to business world, it brings me to the next set of questions.
    1. How can I open a bank account in the name of my business? What document I need to show to the bank? Please note that I do not actually have any business or company. I intend to start one that too only online.
    2. Is there any specification/criteria (like amount, quantity) that the Purchase Invoice needs to meet? If not, that would mean I can produce any kind of bill (say for a pair of jeans I bought from Pantaloons) to obtain the TIN .
    3. Once I have the TIN do I need to sell the same category of goods for which I had produced the purchase invoice? For e.g. I may obtain the TIN by producing the purchase invoice of a few garments from any shop and then go on to sell electronic products on Flipkart.
    4. Why is LR/GR compulsory ot obtain TIN? It's all about the mode of transportation. A person may choose to use my own car to transport the goods. What in that case?
    Requesting #-Link-Snipped-# to help me out
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Can you help him out?
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    PGupta
    1) You cannot open a bank account in the name of your Business since you actually do not have any business yet and the Bank's basic requirement for A/c opening would be documentary proof related to the establishment/registration of your business.
    2) As such there is no specification relating to amount and quantity of Purchase Invoice, but that doesn't mean you can produce any kind of random bill for obtaining TIN. Also, it depends upon the rules applicable to your state!
    3) In case there is any kind change in the information provided at the time of obtaining registration, an application in the prescribed from along with the necessary proof of such change is required to be submitted to the concerned Authority of the department.
    4) LR/GR are the mandatory documents to be submitted for obtaining registration.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    -----------
    I think all of us should say a big THANK YOU to #-Link-Snipped-# for all the help she's offering to fellow CEans!
    -----------
  • PGupta
    PGupta
    Thanks a lot #-Link-Snipped-# for your reply. However I am still not completely clear about my doubts.
    1. I understand from your statement that I need to have a registered and established business first and I can only extend it online. Does Indian laws not allow us to start a business online ?
    2. Do you mean to say there is no specification related to amount and quantity but there are state wise specifications based on other parameters ? Would you be able to help me with the specifications applicable in W.B or provide me with information on where I can find it?
    3. Perhaps I did not make myself clear over here. What I wanted to ask is how does the ecommerce website verify whether "business category" the seller had quoted while obtaining the TIN is the same as what the seller is declaring to them ? If they cannot verify they won't be in a position to restrict the sell of other category items. That would mean the seller is free sell any category of items. Please confirm if this conclusion is correct.
    4. Sorry, I did not quite follow the answer. Do you mean that to run a business, transportation of goods has be done using goods vehicles ?
  • Aishwarya Ganesh
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    PGupta
    Thanks a lot #-Link-Snipped-# for your reply. However I am still not completely clear about my doubts.
    1. I understand from your statement that I need to have a registered and established business first and I can only extend it online. Does Indian laws not allow us to start a business online ?
    2. Do you mean to say there is no specification related to amount and quantity but there are state wise specifications based on other parameters ? Would you be able to help me with the specifications applicable in W.B or provide me with information on where I can find it?
    3. Perhaps I did not make myself clear over here. What I wanted to ask is how does the ecommerce website verify whether "business category" the seller had quoted while obtaining the TIN is the same as what the seller is declaring to them ? If they cannot verify they won't be in a position to restrict the sell of other category items. That would mean the seller is free sell any category of items. Please confirm if this conclusion is correct.
    4. Sorry, I did not quite follow the answer. Do you mean that to run a business, transportation of goods has be done using goods vehicles ?

1) It is necessary to get your business registered even in case of online business.
    for eg- if you want to register yourself at flipkart as seller, getting TIN is one of the basic requirements.
    2) #-Link-Snipped-#. Kindly visit the official website.
    3) For this answer you will have to refer to the terms of the online site where you are willing to sell your products.
    4) Copy of LR/GR is compulsory. It is not compulsory that to run a business you have to use goods vehicle. But it is not possible to use your own vehicle to transport goods when orders are received from different states and you have to resort to goods vehicle.
  • PGupta
    PGupta
    Aishwarya Ganesh
    1) It is necessary to get your business registered even in case of online business.
    for eg- if you want to register yourself at flipkart as seller, getting TIN is one of the basic requirements.
    2) #-Link-Snipped-#. Kindly visit the official website.
    3) For this answer you will have to refer to the terms of the online site where you are willing to sell your products.
    4) Copy of LR/GR is compulsory. It is not compulsory that to run a business you have to use goods vehicle. But it is not possible to use your own vehicle to transport goods when orders are received from different states and you have to resort to goods vehicle.
    #-Link-Snipped-# appreciate your help.
  • A N Modi
    A N Modi
    Hi, The list of TIN registration documents ask for 1st sale / purchase invoice in the name of the business seeking for TIN registration & LR/GR copy for the same. sale invoice is out of question without a purchase invoice & a proof of transportation. So, first I'll have to make a purchase after paying all the related taxes. But, which agency will issue me a road permit if I'm transporting the purchased goods from some other state? Or, is it that, that I wouldn't need a road permit after obtaining a tax paid invoice from the seller? Also, please tell me how can I raise a sale invoice without a TIN number? I am a bit confused at it. Please help.
  • Shubhamdhakate
    Shubhamdhakate
    Hello,
    We (me and my friend) are starting a business in local. can not tell you the main idea but we will be delivering products in out city only (for now) by taking orders via call and website. We will registering our firm as partnership firm and will get gumasta for the same(city- Nagpur). We inquired for registrations for one of our mentors told us to not register company in initial phase.
    So I need to know if we can provide bills to customers without obtaining TIN number. Also since we can not invest so much money in processes legalities, please guide me what can be done.
    Assumptions mentioned-
    1. No current account is active.
    2. Corporation officers told us to register for Gumasta within 1st month.
    3. We belong to middle class and need to invest in business for now rather than Taxes which we will pay once we make that much money.
    4. Company will have maximum 5 staff members.
    5. our turnover will not cross 5 lacs for this year atleast.
    Questions-
    1. Can we take service tax from customers as we are providing free home delivery of our own?
    2. Are we eligible for startup INDIA campaign to get benefits like not tax for 3 years etc.
    3. We can not afford a CA or a lawyer for now, so how to deal with such legalities.
    4. Can't we just give customers a Normal Invoice without TIN or VAT number? Is it illegal?
  • Reenakaroria
    Reenakaroria
    Hi ,

I am planning to startup proprietor firm but I don’t have TIN no, do anyone please confirm shall I open the same without a TIN no??
    If yes, could you please advise the procedure for startup ?
    Your answer will appreciated.
  • sandeep jha
    sandeep jha
    Hi i have already a tin number for my industrial trading business. But i want to know that. That can i use this tin number on flipkart or Amazon.or can we use One tin number as in others business
    Thanks
    Sandeep jha
  • Ashish Bathla
    Ashish Bathla
    Hi
    If I have TIN number under Delhi State and wants to work online from Gurgaon. Is the same TIN work? Please suggest.
  • newatbusiness
    newatbusiness
    Hi All,

I am planning to sell my small scale based homemade handcrafts on eCommerce platform. However I do not have much info and understanding of VAT/TIN registration.

Can someone explain, how much it will cost to get such number, also being a newcomer in the field, and with no business background, with no much turnover. Will it cost too much?

Redhards
    Yash
  • John Sundararajan
    John Sundararajan
    Hi,

I wanted to start my business(selling products thru e-commerce sites) from home. So when I approached the TIN facilitation center, they had said that, one of the mandatory requirement is that, the business premises should be separate (may be owned or rented but can't show the house as office or business place). I see that some of the responses say that the house can be shown as business place. Is that still valid?

Regards
    John
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Just in case anyone's interested in getting PAN or TAN number for their business; the Government of India has made it lot easier. Now both PAN and TAN numbers can be obtained in just one day. The applicants will have to submit a common application form SPICe (INC32) on the official MCA portal. The PAN and TAN numbers will be issued without further action from the applicant.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

German car manufacturer, Audi has unveiled a new variant of its sports car- Audi TT in India, today. Priced at Rs 60.34 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), the 2015 Audi TT Coupé...
Can I have some DIY project guide for Electronics project? Thanks.
Hi there, I am a student pursuing MCS(Comp Science). I am currently doing my internship from a company. Initially i was hired as an intern in DEVOPS but due to...
(From Wash Post) Quote: Americans hold about 11 million meetings a day on average, and workers say about one-third of that meeting time is unproductive. But while your company may...
Turing Robotic Industries have announced their new Android smartphone that not just offers secure communication capabilities like the well known Blackphone, it is also being claimed to be one of...