What is the reason C and C++ continue to be relevant?

I'd not call myself a programmer or a coder; but I'm fascinated by programming languages. Several new languages have been invented to program computers in various ways; but no matter how many languages come; C and C++ continue to be relevant even in today's age. What's the real reason or what are the things that C and C++ got right that makes them work without getting aged?

Replies

• Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    "What's the real reason or what are the things that C and C++ got right that makes them work without getting aged?"

Pointers and ability to manipulate a values in Physical Memory Locations;
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Non-technical reasons are -

1. Jobs. Thousands of applications in many major organizations are written in C or C++ Their development and maintenance jobs are still in huge demand. From operating systems to regularly used office apps such as MS Office, so many apps have been coded in C & C++.

2. Skill. If you say you are able to code (are skillful) in C, it means you know how our computer systems work and know the *usage of pointers* and can optimize programs. Even if you are well-versed in some of the recent programming languages, your expertise in C/C++ will count a lot for the interviewer/employer. Shows your mettle.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    - Direct access to hardware API
    - No additional dependencies required, In C (and assembly too) bare executables can be created.
    - Because device drivers are written in C/C++
    - Because, Embedded shit.

Real debate should be : C versus C++ in Embedded systems / OS development. Which will be quite interactive 😁
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What's the real reason or what are the things that C and C++ got right that makes them work without getting aged?
    Apart from reasons discussed above, one reason is the structured approach and closeness to real world which helps developers to think more clearly while developing applications and huge support so that u can design virtually anything in C/C++
  • ELDHOSE K SHIBU
    ELDHOSE K SHIBU
    because they are awesome..... 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Microsoft has put the Nokia brand name to rest with the introduction of Microsoft Lumia 535. The change had been anticipated ever since a year ago Microsoft decided to acquire...
Aadit Kapoor submitted a new project: HELP ME REVISE - Help me Revise efficiently searches everything, like youtube videos related to that topic, images, P This is a utility for...
In the race between homegrown smartphone brands to offer something 'unique', most companies are putting in all their might to feature path-breaking tech specs in their smartphones at unprecedentedly low...
BuyHatke.com, believed to be amongst the top 700 websites in the country, is a price comparison portal for online shopping. Founded by Gaurav Dahake, Prashant Singh, Srikanth Sethumadhavan and Rohit...
Researchers from University of California, San Diego Jacob School of Engineering and Johns Hopkins University have teamed up to present a study that shows how the wireless devices and apps...