What is the difference between a Circuit breaker and a relay?

I have read about it. but i'm not so clear about it. Also i need to know the working of both. thank you!!!

Replies

• grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Assuming you know basic of switch gear components i answer below:

1. Relay-"it is the sensing device which is connected to power circuit and if the any parameter of circuit crosses safe limits ,it sends signal to circuit breaker to break circuit."
    2. Circuit breaker-" A part of switchgear which is connected in circuit and it opens the circuit on receiving signal from relays"

So,relays do only the sensing part and makes circuit breaker open its contacts to break the circuit.

In case of very small application people might use relays to do both sensing and breaking circuit but mostly they are different as explained above.

Ask if not clear.😀
  • kiransabarish
    kiransabarish
    grsalvi

1. Relay-"it is the sensing device which is connected to power circuit and if the any parameter of circuit crosses safe limits ,it sends signal to circuit breaker to break circuit."
    2. Circuit breaker-" A part of switchgear which is connected in circuit and it opens the circuit on receiving signal from relays"

So,relays do only the sensing part and makes circuit breaker open its contacts to break the circuit.

In case of very small application people might use relays to do both sensing and breaking circuit but mostly they are different as explained above.

Ask if not clear.😀
    Thank you!!!
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    Relay is acts as a electromechanical switch it is not been used protection circuits,but circuit breakers are specially designed for circuit monitoring if any shot circuited then it breaks the main supply to follow towards load.but not in the case of relays.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    you can follow the link for better understand.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    I would add: More types of relays : electromechanical , numerical ,micro controller based
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    microcontroller based means .i think u r controlling relays using UC..
  • naveee
    naveee
    A circuit breaker is a device for the limiting of current supplied to a circuit. Typically using a bi-metalic strip of metal to sense an increased current. The bi-metallic element will react to the increased current by heating up, and typically 'tripping' a mechanisim that will open or clear the circuit. When the bi-metallic unit cools of, the circuit breaker can usually be reset. After repeated 'trips', it is possible for the circuit breaker to become ineffective, wear out, and require replacement.
    A relay is an electro-mechanical device, typically used to control a system or application. Where as a electrical current is passed through a coil of wire, generating a magentic force which then effects a mechanical response. Such as opening or closing a contact that completes another electrical circuit.
    A circuit breaker is to designed to protect an electrical circuit, and a relay is designed to control one. Unless a relay has a circuit breaker included in the construction (very uncommon/extremely rare), it is no protection to an electrial device
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes exactly i was all ready read this topic ...my pal...
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    arunchary
    microcontroller based means .i think u r controlling relays using UC..
    Micro controller based relays sense circuit through sensors and ADCs.
    They work on digital values representing the parameters of circuit.
    You can program micro controller as per your choice and hence provide protection the way you want.This provides flexibility and a single relay can detect two or more different parameters like current,power direction,temperature ,etc. In conventional relays you need different relays for different parameters.
  • Henri
    Henri
    the mos
    grsalvi

Ask if not clear.😀
    the most accurate answer by so far...
    i agree
  • Chirag jiwani
    Chirag jiwani
    Ya......it's perfect answer....
    Henri
    the mos

the most accurate answer by so far...
    i agree
  • sakshi pawar
    sakshi pawar
    Difference Between Relay and Circuit Breaker | Compare the Difference Between Similar Terms........
    Go to this website, it will clear your ideas😀
  • Bijay Krishna Nandi
    Bijay Krishna Nandi
    I thought question would be better if you have asked difference between a circuit breaker and Isolator as relay and cb has different operations and functionalities. But both are system protective equipments.
  • Dabbz
    Dabbz
    Circuit breaker is to sense short circuit current and trip in case of short circuit.During selection circuit breaker should be at least 3 times the full load current of the equipment.

Overload relay trips in case of any overload to the equipment and it is to be selected 2 times of the equipment.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When i ask this question to many they tell me the mathematical equation only. i need the exact explanation for it. How will it get produced or absorbed? which elements...
I bet you've seen the video and the new dancing style - which is basically a horse riding style dance. The video and the dance is going viral on the...
how can we show that the change in entropy of an ideal gas undergoing a polytropic process 1-2 is given by S2 - S1 = mCv (k - n) ln(V2/V1)...
is anybody have e book of "Principles of Abrasive Water Jet Machining by Momber, Andreas W., Kovacevic, Radovan , 1998," please send me e book if anybody have.
if anybody have any book or other material related to abrasive water jet machining please send me. its urgent!!!! Thanku