What is the best way to sync code files between two or more computers?

Curious to know how you guys sync code files across computers? For example, if you've written half of your code on your office machine and want to complete it using the machine at your home, how do you go about it? I'm looking for a free solution.

I've not used gitHub yet. So should I start exploring it? What do you recommend? I'd be more interested in finding out a local solution than pushing the code to cloud or public code sharing service.

Replies

• micheal john
    micheal john
    I have tried Bitbucket | Git solution for teams using Jira
    Bitbucket offers both commercial plans and free accounts.
    i'm exploring too
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know how you guys sync code files across computers? For example, if you've written half of your code on your office machine and want to complete it using the machine at your home, how do you go about it? I'm looking for a free solution.
    For this exact thing I have used Syncthing. Syncthing works in all scenario whether it is data, media, code, whatever. Github is excellent for code only. There are plus and minus of both tools.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Someone suggested Gitlab.com. Looks very promising so far. Will figure out what it offers.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    There are several options, github, rioxsvn,bitbucket

git push or svn commit and then run svn update or git pull will do
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Manish Goyal
    There are several options, github, rioxsvn,bitbucket

git push or svn commit and then run svn update or git pull will do
    Thanks, Manish. Github doesn't let me hold my code privately unless I pay to them. I found out that gitlab does everything what I want to do and is free. Will explore bitbucket too.

I however think that these are all versioning systems. Is there a pure play code 'sharing' system?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I found bitbucket quite as good as Github with private version system otherwise for vpn nothing can compare svn (free I guess).
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    then you can use rioxsvn, but they have a limit on storage you can store maximum 50 MB for free after that it is paid.

You may go with bit bucket which is free for unlimited private repo, not sure about storage restrictions. (I will recommend you this)

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is there a pure play code 'sharing' system?
    Elaborate please.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Elaborate please.
    Well, nothing very complicated; just about a system I can setup locally (on my lan) and sync my development machines with it. I know this is very specific requirement because the number of users is just one. I think GitLab and other system do the job.

PS: Maybe we should have something like it here on CE 😉
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    PS: Maybe we should have something like it here on CE 😉
    That would be killer feature! And if it uses git then it would be 'heaven sent'. If all Engineers/students can maintain their repo in CE, what else anyone can ask for ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    That would be killer feature! And if it uses git then it would be 'heaven sent'. If all Engineers/students can maintain their repo in CE, what else anyone can ask for ?
    I just wish I could post the ideas I have in my mind 😉. All I need is someone willing to code in PHP like God.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare

I've not used gitHub yet. So should I start exploring it? What do you recommend? I'd be more interested in finding out a local solution than pushing the code to cloud or public code sharing service.
    Github or BitBucket. BitBucket supports Mercurial too along with git.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sorry for being naive, but can we just not use Google Drive or Dropbox or SugarSync? Just store all files in a personal folder? Set appropriate permissions so that the folder is private.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ankita Katdare
    Sorry for being naive, but can we just not use Google Drive or Dropbox or SugarSync? Just store all files in a personal folder? Set appropriate permissions so that the folder is private.
    Yes you can, but code versioning tools like github, allows you to track changes your code is undergoing, say today I make change in css file for a fix, but it breaks another feature of website then I can easily track what was the change and who made it and for what reason
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    One more thing, Branching of code.
    If you want you can use same base code to work on several things and merge later.
    For code, versioning is must. If anything goes wrong at any point you car retrieve any past changes not just the most previous one.
  • Kiran.laxman.hiwane
    Kiran.laxman.hiwane
    Sync Toy is a free Power Toy application from Microsoft that synchronizes files between computers connected to the same network. It is compatible with all versions of the Windows platform but unfortunately, it doesn’t offer support for Mac OS. The application is highly customizable, easy to use and helps users to do most processes in just a few steps, including copying, moving, and synchronization.
    Free FileSync is a basic and simple to use application for syncing all types of files. The app comes with a folder comparison and synchronization tool that will do the entire job,.........ankita this is ma answer according to your answer.......
  • Kiran.laxman.hiwane
    Kiran.laxman.hiwane
    Sync Toy is a free Power Toy application from Microsoft that synchronizes files between computers connected to the same network. It is compatible with all versions of the Windows platform but unfortunately, it doesn’t offer support for Mac OS. The application is highly customizable, easy to use and helps users to do most processes in just a few steps, including copying, moving, and synchronization.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ankita Katdare
    Agree ! I see one of my friend don't want to upload codes to those cloud mentioned in above replies so he is developing his code in Google Drive.

If you don't bother about version and all and just want whatever there on your another machine to your machine then idea suggested by Ankita looks good. By that way even you don't have to do commit and update your repository. Just leave your office and go home and your drive will sync automatically. 😀
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Yeah I never realized till last month that google drive can also be used as an efficient project management tool
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I have used few files (Excel) for versioning and multi editing. It works great.
    If you don't have too many files. Google Drive is best tool.
    You can see all edits with author. Live multi edit is also just great. 👍
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have setup Syncthing in Arch, not for code syncing though but for syncing important files and backup.
    syncthing

Tonight, I will setup Syncthing in Raspberry Pi and will make it as my backup server. I will write an article on it. I have used Bittorrent sync too but since it is proprietary, I have switched to Syncthing.

You can try it too : GitHub - syncthing/syncthing: Open Source Continuous File Synchronization

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The famous new aggregator app Flipboard that has been available for the mobile platforms iOS, Android and Windows all along, has now arrived for your desktop. The folks behind the...
Project Abstract / Summary : Aim of the project is to control the wheel chair using special sensors called mems(micro electro mechanical wheel chair). This chair is specially used for...
After launching Oppo N3 and R5 last year, the Chinese mobile manufacturer Oppo has quietly released new smartphone named Oppo 3000 in China. The smartphone has been priced at 1599...
Project Abstract / Summary : The Objective is to design a vehicle with automatic navigation. Automatic navigation is done by using path planning method.So that the user can reach the...
Project Abstract / Summary : dcdsvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Why did you choose to work on this project topic : dcdsvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Project Category : Civil / Structural ------------------------------------------------------ Institute/College Name: nu City: delhi...