What is Microsoft intending to do by introducing VS 2017 on Mac?

Just a few days back in Connect 2016, Microsoft announced some great dev tools, the new Xamarin updates, and the Visual Studio 2017. Everyone fell in love with it right from the moment it was announced.

There was one thing, however, which surprised me. That's when Scott Guthrie announced that Visual Studio is coming to Mac users as well. I mean, what? Visual studio was the very reason devs used Windows. People were using Windows OS because of the VS. Although Microsoft brought Visual Code on mac earlier, but that was just a text editor. this is one of the most popular IDE.

Why do think Microsoft took such a step, which apparently, seems to be destroying the company itself? What does Microsoft intend to do?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Because the company that gets the developer love stays ahead of the race. I think that's the main reason Microsoft's after developers who want to use Mac to develop.
  • Jash Mota
    Jash Mota
    But isn't that a highly risky bet to make? Given that they also have their own line of hardware (Surface Series)?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Jash Mota
    But isn't that a highly risky bet to make? Given that they also have their own line of hardware (Surface Series)?
    Its more risky to remain siloed in a single platform. That was their mistake in the past, and it alienated a vast majority of developers working in mac environments. This is pretty much their strategy now with their products (e.g Microsoft Office) to be more "open" with their technology.
    I suppose getting the market to buy Surface hardware must come on other merits, such as actual better specs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am a very old CEian, and had been away for some time here. Nothing has changed much for me. The interest and craziness towards engineering hasn't seen any...
Hello guys, I really need help, I'm desperate please find it in your heart to help me, basically I've been asked to use Staad Pro, I have no problem in...
Mada Seghete grew up in Romania where the curriculum was heavily focused on learning math. She used to go match contests and used the money she won as prize to...
This is what a group of 12 crazy engineers from Turkey did when they got bored: The next step for the team is to let humans operate the machine from...
HI AT PRESENT I'M A UNEMPLOYER. AND I'M IN THE CONFUSION THAT WHAT TO SELECT AS MY CAREER OPTION. WHICH FIELD WELL BE BETTER FOR MY CAREER GROWTH. MY PASSOUT...